PDA

View Full Version : 1st Low Poly Job <<seeking advice>>

XanBob
03-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some feedback on the following model. It's my first go at lowpoly modelling, texturing and rigging, so I need to know whether it's up to a good standard and if not, how to improve it. Thanx in advance!:bounce:

XanBob:D
AVI 1.8mb divx5.03 (http://www.zenadsl5149.zen.co.uk/xUntitled2.avi)

SPyDeR WeBz
03-14-2003, 01:08 AM
That looks great to me except a few things need to be explained, such as how many polygons is it for low?

what texture file size is his skin? Example 512x512 ect.

Looking good to me thou, i like the from texture to wireframe switch.

Make some more :).

Cya
SPyDeR

Edit
The hood is probably too high in polys' from a second notice.

R2D2
03-14-2003, 01:28 AM
Looks good for your first low-poly work! The first suggestion that pops into my head is a very general low-poly thing; Since every poly counts, make sure you have them where you need them and don't have them where you.. uhhh... don't. :) I would take some of the polys out of the top of the head area, and add detail to the elbows and maybe the hands. Keep it up.

Later,
R2

sanhueza
03-14-2003, 01:47 AM
Looking pretty good, especially for a first model. I have some suggestions where you might be able to improve it:

You can reduce the polycount alot in areas where it is not needed. The first area that strikes me is the hollowed-out inside of the head. Since the texture in that area is pitch black, you could make that part flat across the front, rather than hollowed-out, and it would still look pretty much the same as it does now. This would save you a ton of polygons from the looks of things. Get what I mean?

Also, that string of tiny balls looping around him looks pretty cool, but is taking up way too many polygons considering that it is such a small detail. I would just make that string one long four-sided loop, rather than many smaller segments like you have it now. You can then make it appear like many small balls connected to each other in the texture.

The texture is pretty nice, but a little simple. I'd suggest adding more detail and simulated light and shadow to make it more interesting. Good job so far, good luck on making it excell!

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

dmbilly4
03-14-2003, 03:37 AM
I really love the idea, what i would do is maybe have some glowing eyes under the hood and also refine the texture like the clothing and stuff. What I really like is how you got away with not having to model legs! Great Job, Hope to see more!

zoso
03-17-2003, 12:42 AM
i agree with much of what is said here. take out polys around the head and from inside the hollowed area (since the texture is black.)

there are way too many spheres hanging around his body.. what i would do is reduce the number of spheres he has by half or maybe even 3/4 and then increase the size of the rest of the spheres allowing for a better sillohette.

on your joints... (knees and elbows especially) they only bend one way so you're better off building it differently...

example attached notice the one on the left rather than the right.

the textures seem a little flat as well...

other than that i like him

zoso
03-17-2003, 12:44 AM
boo!!!! hissss!!!!...my image wasn't attached....:annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.