PDA

View Full Version : Maya to Max

Luisk
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I have a rig that I want to pass from Maya 8 to Max 8...I tried FBX but when I import it into max, Max collapses..I tried with Max 9 and the same thing happened..

can this be done in some other way?

Thanks,

Luisk

VM
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
I don't think you can translate a rig. you can send animation from one skeleton to another... you could also use the cache to send only gemetry... but an entire rig, I don't think so. first of all, ik doesn't translate, as far as I can tell. ik handles become locators, even if imported back into maya. not sure what they get translated into in max, I'm not using max. but I can tell you what the fbx plugin does, basically... it translates geometry, skeletons, biding, constraints... too few things I guess for a rig. and then a rig could actually have a ton of nodes that only exist in maya, not in max, and not supported by fbx. you could send animation from your maya rig to a max skeleton, I guess, but I have no idea how well integrated fbx is into max (like, for example, probably the best integration of fbx is in Motion Builder. but if things get ported very well into MB, that doesn't mean they will be ported just as successfully into maya or max.), and what are the differences between maya and max architectures (in other words, how simple your file should be in order to be ported successfully into max).

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.