PDA

View Full Version : low-poly or not

fproto
03-13-2003, 10:57 PM
hello.

i've just modelled the head of my real-time character.

so far, the head alone is 166 triangles...

tell me am i doing good so far of keeping it low-poly?

thank you.

KazuyaMochu
03-13-2003, 11:02 PM
You are allways doing good by keeping policount low, but you should look at you model, and be able to see, how much you can put in the face, thinking of the budget you have.

plus, you should be able to do the least possible, but keeping the models "dignity", I mean, you can make a face with 50 poligons, but does it look good?

if you can, make it look better by adding detail, but know when to stop.

that's as much as I can tell you without looking at you model.

Kazuya Mochu

fproto
03-13-2003, 11:07 PM
thanks for the reply.

what i meant was, i am totally happy with the outcome of

the model. it's just that i don't know if 166 is too high :shrug:.

Stygian
03-14-2003, 12:10 AM
well what polycount are you shooting for ?
I will usually get the model to look the way I want then go back and lose some polys where they won't make as much difference.

fproto
03-14-2003, 12:20 AM
that's my problem u c :(...

i don't know what polycount to aim for. since i don't

know what polycount i SHOULD aim for.

it looks like my model is fine, it's just that i don't know

whether or not 166 is "standard" for a head.

besides, if i knew what polycount i was aiming for,

i wouldn't need any help in the first place would i? ;)

KazuyaMochu
03-14-2003, 01:48 AM
well, as for policount budget, you would need a programer ou a producer to provide you with one, acording to what kind of engine they have, what kind of platform, and so on.

for example, on the playstation 2 you should stay below 120 thousen poligons in order to assure the 60 fps performance.

but taking the cgtalk contest, you are to model a character staying below 2500 poligons. with is, in my opinion, pretty much the standerd for todays games and the next moths to come.

any way,in the game I'm working on, the coders alowed us to have 6000 poligons on the main character, and instead, lowering the enimies poligons.

I mean, you are going to be seeing the player all the time.
but the enimies... as soon as you get them out of you site, the better. plus your never getting that close to notest.

for example, I just made a 720 poligon model for portfolio. and I know I'm gonna need detail for joints and texture stretching, to name a few.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48588

but again, you shoul be able to know where to put detail
where to take it form, like for examples, removing segments from the legs in order to be able to have fingers, ou face detail

it up to you...

Kazuya Mochu

Stygian
03-14-2003, 02:27 AM
I guess what we are trying to say fproto is there is no "standard" it varies from game to game. A polygon count between 2000 and 3500 polygons (triangles) seems to be about average for alot of current games while some can go higher its a nice area that allows room for alot of detail .

fproto
03-14-2003, 03:35 PM
sweet, thanks for the info.

zoso
03-14-2003, 11:22 PM
ut 2003 player models in the game (the characters that you see running around) are around 3000 polys.

but as computers get faster (vid cards, ram, processors, and the like) you'll always see polycounts for game increase.

KoS
03-15-2003, 12:05 AM
166 triangles is really low poly

if you are going for around 700-800 polys then a head like that would be fine

however if you are looking to make a model for more recent games such as ut2k3 or a mod for it(or something like that anyway) then 800 is acceptable for just the head alone because it requires quite a bit of detail if you plan on having them talk and move their lips

fproto
03-15-2003, 02:16 AM
wow, i had no idea...

i have no idea how much difference policount in some

areas will make though. it looks like there is sufficient detail...

zoso
03-15-2003, 07:28 PM
the question is detail for what?

what is your face going to be doing in game?

is it going to need morph targets and lip-synching?

do you need it to look pretty?

is this the main or other important character of the game?

but then again just ask yourself: why have a poly count of 177? that's so 1996-97 man!!

add detail for details sake. i say atleast go up to 500-600 polys.

say your poly limit was 3000 and only 200 was give to the head... compared to the rest of the body your head wouldn't look as good in my opinion.

fproto
03-15-2003, 07:33 PM
lol, of course not 166 for the head.

it was still in progress anyway, and it was a cartoonish character.

i can't really smooth it out much, cuz the skin doesn't need to be

deform much, and there are a lot of flat areas.

if it were a human, my guess is it would be well over 500.

anyways, now that i know my budget, i can be more flexible.

thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.