PDA

View Full Version : Wizards & Wire Tools

nester999
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
hello, my name is Edan and I am troubleshooting a rig of the character on the cover of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards that I made after watching Alias' Super Toon Body Rigging DVD. One of my biggest concerns is I have implemented a wire tool to the character's head to create a more malleable and posable face, but I think I'm still having some trouble with my rig organization because now whenever I move my allTrans, the head's translation is much more than what the allTrans is translating. I have the curve for the wire tool's cvs grouped in clusters, and those are parented to a headStretchCurve and a headControlCurve which is parented to the allTrans. As you can also see, my control curves are also assuming this exaggerated translation. Any help would be great! Thanks.

_stev_
05-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Looks like a double transform. If your curve is clustered, then only the clusters should be under the head control object's heirarchy. The curve should not be under your "allTrans" control object's heirarchy at all. You should parent the curve to something above the allTrans node called "DO NOT TRANSFORM" or something like that.

Stev

nester999
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
awesome! Thanks a ton. I haven't had a chance to give it a shot yet, but I will soon. Thanks for the help.

nester999
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Okay, so the wire tool works great now. Thanks! Now, in the final stages, I've been having some troubles with my control circles for the rest of my joints. I used the:

controlCircleCreator

script from the superToonFacial Rigging DVD and for the longest time they were staying parented to the joints without a problem. Unfortunately, the script automatically overrides the display of the joints and just makes the joint look like the curve in the hypergraph so there's no way to just get to the curve to delete it and it's connections.

When analyzing the script, the closest thing I came to solving the problem was:

//puts selected objects in reference mode
//
global proc makeReference(string $sel[]){

string $obj;

for($obj in $sel){
setAttr ($obj + ".overrideEnabled") 1;
setAttr ($obj + ".overrideDisplayType") 2;

If anyone has any experience with this script or is MELiterate enough to figure out how to get the curves to split from my joints, that would be sweet. Thanks again!

_stev_
05-13-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm not familiar with the script, but it sounds like the curves' shape nodes are parented to the joints' transform nodes.

Open the outliner. Expand the hierarchy to select one of your joints.

From the Display pulldown menu in the Outliner, choose "Shapes".

Now you should be able to see the curvesShapes parented to each joint. You can select and delete them.

Later,
Stev

nester999
05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Okay, so in the finishing stretch of this rig, I ran into a final few questions:

1. So now that I applied the wire tool to the head, I can't exactly control the weights on the wire tool. I can paint the weights on which vertices get affected by it, but is there a way to blend the weights per CV?

2. I have some facial controls, but I inadvertantly placed it pretty close to the model. Is there a way to group the controls, somehow constrain a camera to the controls and be able to move it away from the model/have my own camera view just for facial controls? The second pic shows what happened last time I tried to group and parent constrain it to a camera.

Thanks in advance everyone!

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.