PDA

View Full Version : cloth envelope to bone or? help plz..

diginime
05-08-2007, 07:54 AM
hi guys, i'm from vfs and currently working on my demo reel. below is the first character in my reel and i modeled all the clothing for her. but now how can i pose her? i have a rig on her and body works ok, just the cloth, any idea to deal with this? I enveloped the cloth to the bone but it's not really working.. thx.. i'm using xsi...but package is not the prob..just any idea how to deal with this?

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6979/prayerbe0.jpg

PEN
05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Cloth like this on a character can be a real pain. Personaly I would use a cloth sim. You need to retain your base pose and animate the character into the pose and then run a sim on the cloth. I have never looked at the cloth in XSI so that is as far as I can take you with it.

diginime
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
hey Pen, thx for the idea. by the way, do you mean by i posed the base pose first then do the cloth or i animate from this pose to the pose i want to get the cloth? Thx.

Maq
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey hao,

I am a VFS alumni, I know how things work out there. Although Pen's Idea of a cloth sim is the best solution to get good quality but it is something we cannot afford to do at VFS due to time constraints. you will end up spending a lot of time just trying to setup and run simulations and the way your cloth is built is will prob end up falling out of the hands a lot.

What I would suggest you do is build up some additional joints around the cloth the way you want it to behave and bind the cloth to those joints and some from the old joints that control the body.

These new controllers can be built to move ahead when the rig for the body moves so u just have to tweak them so that there are no parts of the body popping out of the cloth.

This will require a lil bit of animation by hand but is a more reliable way to get things done faster if your cloth simulations dont run properly

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.