PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking to start animation

LiChih
05-08-2007, 04:01 AM
Hey guys, I just finish taking an entry level 3d modeling class. I was wondering if there is a DVD that you guys recommed for beginners in Animation? I thought I would be taking it this coming quarter but I will have to wait for another 4 months before I take it. I would like to learn ahead of time rather then wait till the class comes by my scehdule.

thanks!

Milchschaumschluerfer
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/customer/home.php

Highly recommend!

GoldenCamel
05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
it depends on which software you use, for Maya, gnomon3d has some good dvds that lay the basics tools for animation. however, you can't learn animation by dvd, i suggest getting some books like the illusion of life by frank thomas and ollie johnston, the animator survival kit by richard williams and cartoon animation by preston blair. and if you can afford it, animationmentor is the best way to learn animation these days.

StanrickKubley
05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a couple thoughts for you. Oh to preface, I'm an ex and sometimes working animator. I started in traditional.

First off, if you want to do character animation, I'd definitely learn some modeling and technical stuff. But I'd check out products like Anzovin's Setup Machine, which helps automate the rigging process. Bottom line - learn enough technical stuff not to always be at someone else's mercy, but FOCUS on the art and craft of animation.

Second, if you're not already drawing figures, start. Draw gestures of live people. I'm not sure if it's the process of drawing or the process of looking that helps, but pretty much every good animator I've ever met spent hundreds of hours drawing people from life. Animation is about poses and timing. How can you pose a character if you don't have a sense of how people stand and move?

Third, there are lots of good books out there. The Illusion of Life is a staple, yeah, but it's also really fat. I'd recommend The Animator's Workbook or the Preston Blair stuff first. They're more nuts-and-bolts. DVD-wise, I've seen excerpts for Learning 3D Character Animation with Jeff Lew, and it looks pretty good.

Lastly, if I were young and serious about doing 3D character animation, I'd go the Animation Mentor route. They have the best layout of classes I've ever seen. I hardly see how anyone could go through that kind of training and not get at least competent.

ErikSvensson
05-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Jeff lew is the way to go. And also buy richard williams "animators survival kit" and you're good to go! :)

Erik

LiChih
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
sweet guys!

Yea i got the survival kit for quite a bit. I am trying to learn the technical things in maya in order to animte, before I get into the stretch and squash and the small details. I'm actually doing quite a bit of gesture drawings and life drawing. At the moment, Im going through alot of anatomy studies in motions. I realize everyone is loving the animation mentor. Im already enrolled at a school for the moment, but the animation mentor seems very tempting. I will be in debt after 2 years so I dont think it is possible to enroll. I love the roster of staff and the break down of classes for the school though. I will reconsider in applying if I get a job after school, because I think this is a good investment.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.