PDA

View Full Version : double ended ik

Luddy
05-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Is there a way through ik and/or expressions to create a joint with an ik on each end?
When you move one of the ik handles it rotates around the other end, and vice versa...

ie..

[ik]---------[ik]

nilslerin
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi Luddy.

I tested doing something like you described and I've attached an example, hope you've got Maya 7.0 or greater.

The basic idea is to create an ikhandle (sticky enabled) at one end of the chain. Then create two control-objects (a pCube or something) and place them at either end. PointConstrain one controller to the first joint of the chain, then parent the ikHandle to the other controller.

That's pretty much it but I guess you want the chain to stretch and maybe squash. The setup is a little complicated but maybe you already know how to set it up or you can reverse enginer it from my scene. In this case I only used two joints for the chain, so I wanted it to both squash and streatch. If you've got more joints, you probably don't want it to squash so look for a conditionNode in the hypershade under utilities and set operation from "Not equal" to "Greater than".

It's not two ikHandles like you wanted, but I hope the setup suits you needs.

Luddy
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks, works great!!! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.