PDA

View Full Version : N00B question - Moving your character in space

Jacwing
05-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi all,

Ok a realy noob question. I understand all the general concepts and techniques behind animating a stationery character (walk cicle etc.) but... how do you actually get him to move from A to B. Do you animate the main root on the rig? I would like my character to do a number of things like walk a certain distance (no slipping), push an object etc. Could someone please shine some light for me on this subject.

ErikSvensson
05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Use a big controller to move the whole character when you got a cycle. The main thing to keep in mind is to use linear curves on the controller all the time, and the same for the feet when they are on the ground. If the character should pick up speed during the walk, then i'd do it by hand and not a cycle.

Erik

Jacwing
05-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Thanks Erik, so let me get this straight you'd contraine a null to the root and animate that to move character in space, right? I've read somwhere that the root itself should not be animated as it may cause some problems later. This is the type of animation I'd like to do http://www.mothermushroom.com/animation/dboxlift/ but not quite sure of the process.

ErikSvensson
05-08-2007, 05:02 AM
It really depends of the situation. It's not the most effective way to animate maybe, but it works. :) If you use maya, there are a setting that is called pre infinity and post infinity "cycle with offset" and "cycle", you can use that too if you want. Use the ofset om parts that moves in world space, that would be say Z-axis for the feet and hip, then just cycle the parts that rotates. Keep it looping as long as you want, then key it and tweak it from there.

Regarding the ALL-controller. Just put a group, a big spline or whatever on the ground, then P-parent the controllers of the character (probably just feet and hip) to it, then when you move the ALL-Controller, everything should follow.:)

Cheers!
Erik

Jacwing
05-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Cool thanks mate :) Sorry for all the 'Qs' my curiosity is simply overwhelming and it's quite hard to find good tutorials on character animation. Do you mind answering another question for me - how would you set up an animation where the character is actually pushing an object. Would you constrain the main controller to the object where by dragging it, it pulls a character along? I'm actually using Softimage XSI I guess there shouldn't be much of a difference in setup you use in Maya.

RK

ErikSvensson
05-09-2007, 05:23 AM
No problems man! :)

If he isn't gonna push it to far, I'd probably constrain the hands to the object, then animate the object going forward, and make him push it with his body (hand animated), because often you dont want an even motion while pushing/pulling, you want him to pick up the speed or struggle with the start pushing thing. So i wouldn't use a "ALL"-controller here at all i think. :)

Erik

Jacwing
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
That makes sense, thanx Erik :) now I gotta get my hands dirty and start animating.
By the way I read on some other post about Jeff Lew's DVDs that you recommended, are they the way to go to start learning animation?

RK

ErikSvensson
05-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Jeff lew is the way to go. His DVD is the best i've seen. He has 3 different sections, one technical, one with the principles and one full animation tutorial. You will learn all from making keys, using rotations to the animations principles + a full tutorial. :)

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2007, 05:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.