PDA

View Full Version : Motion of the Ocean

writern98
05-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to create a relatively calm ocean such that the camera view is of an average ocean meeting the sky at the horizon. Nothing fancy.

I created a nurbs plane and applied the ocean shader. However, no matter how I tweak the settings in the "Ocean Attributes," the waves are always perfectly parallel to each other and the camera, running to the horizon. I want the waves random, preferably biased to being perpendicular to the camera.

What am I missing???
Thanks!
Brad

Eddepet
05-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Maybe create a circular " plane "(don't know how to say that in english) out of nurbs circels and apply the ocean shader.

I'm trying to create a relatively calm ocean such that the camera view is of an average ocean meeting the sky at the horizon. Nothing fancy.

I created a nurbs plane and applied the ocean shader. However, no matter how I tweak the settings in the "Ocean Attributes," the waves are always perfectly parallel to each other and the camera, running to the horizon. I want the waves random, preferably biased to being perpendicular to the camera.

What am I missing???
Thanks!
Brad

Duncan
05-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Rotate the waves using the windDirection. Increase the number of waves(num frequencies) and the spread for a more random effect, or simply increase the turbulence ramp value to 1. In general it helps to use more frequencies, even when it is set to be fully turbulent. However it will take longer to compute. Also increasing the max wavelength often helps when doing this.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2007, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.