PDA

View Full Version : Heavy rendering on a laptop.

HeyYou
04-03-2002, 06:28 AM
Iím not very knowledgeable about computer architecture and stuff.
Iím wondering if itís ok to do long and intensive renderings on a laptop (say 20 hours or so).
I would think that the cooling system for the processor and video card is insufficient to keep my laptop from melting.

(tech data: 3ds max on a Compaq PIII 750 w/125 ram 8 video)

Please, any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

HeyYou
04-04-2002, 08:54 PM
anybody?

zen
04-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Computers dont melt dude.
Im pretty sure they eliminate any melting in product testing.

just dont leave it in the sun or anything.:thumbsup:

Apollux
04-10-2002, 01:41 AM
Believe it ot not melting can happen.... I even saw a old 486 motherboard turning into flames during a test. However Laptops consume much less energy and are supposed to produce less heat than a normal desktop pc.

Having a "heavy render task" on a laptop IS NOT a good idea.... believe me, afterwards the performance of the hard disk tends to reduce... been there, done that. The problem remains there even if you defrag the disk :(

... It goes without saying that your battery life wont hold neither, that if you are planning to do it on the run.

Of course you could TRY to fix the problem by formating the HD and reinstalling everything from scrach... but todays pcs donīt come with CD copies of all the software that they have factory installed. Usually you only get on the CD/DVD the basic software... they never expect that you will ever want to delete everything.

HeyYou
04-10-2002, 03:49 AM
Thanks,
Thatís what I was afraid off. Iím not going to risk it. Formatting the HD after few renders is silly. Iíll stick to my desktop.
I also seen ram chips melted (in a G4 Mac).

zen
04-10-2002, 10:56 PM
my dragon orb keeps my melting at bay :D
unfortunatly its quite loud though. :(

Dude if you have a desktop....why did you want to render on your laptop. If you need to work at the same time, just render when you sleep. Write a little batch file and execute it before you go to bed.

HeyYou
04-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Well, I have this laptop that just sits there. I want to put it to good use. Any how, 20 hours that's bit more than what I sleep.

zen
04-10-2002, 11:40 PM
its not gonna melt.
Computers dont overclock themselves because you hand them a large task. Itll do it. slowly and steadily.
Rendering has been done on 33mhz O2's, 286's, 386's, pentium 66mhz. your 750mhz itll do it. Your video card has nothing to do with rendering. Otherwise renderboxes would have to be equiped with heavy GL cards and we'd see hardware MentalRay on the market. Rendering is purely cpu & software computation.
if your worried about your hard drive, ghost it. That way when performance drop becomes unrepairable by standard defrag, format and reinstate ghost.

Apollux
04-11-2002, 08:41 AM
I don't know what software u r using... but most of todays 3d apps support shared rendering across a network, from the most expensive till the free ones (ie, blender).... and I guess that if you had have 2 compures at home for enought time you already have some sort of network to connect them. For most softwares that dosen't support shared rendering (render-farms), chances are that you can find on the net one free 3rd party application for your specific program.

If worst comes to worst and you are unable to do shared renderind/or you don't have a network at home.... simply divide the rendering task manually among the two computers... let's say you render frames 1 trough 300 on the laptop and frames 301 though 800 on your desktop... then any, and let me stress ANY, video edition software will do the trick and join the result into one single file. (again, most 3d softwares comes with a video editor intergrated into the prog).

I'm proposing you to divide the task so that you can still use that "sitting there" laptop without treaspassing the laptop's limits. How much load you can put in YOUR laptop without causing a permorfance fall is up to you to find out trough experimentation.

Apollux
04-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Zen, goshting a HD only solves half of the problem... getting all the software back in place, but the other half: reverting the performance decrease WILL still be there.

Trought my own experience I know that when pushed to theyrs limits, HDs (EIDE type HD -the most popular- at least) show an ACCELERATED aging... even if you format... even if you erase the partiton and create it again they will stiil be showing the sings of age... is kind of like a car's motor when you use it heavily for miles and miles and miles, once the motor add miles to his live, no matter how many turn-ups you do it, it will still show the sings of age and overwork.

Just my two cents :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.