PDA

View Full Version : The Hapless Hero - character - Kirt

Kirt
03-13-2003, 03:41 PM
:reallyHUGEgrin:

So many ideas ... so little time!
I'll be coming back to this, just reserving some space for now.

KingMob
03-13-2003, 06:58 PM
this time none of you 2d guys cans ay we 3d guys ignore you, im makingit a point to watch both ;)

Frinsklen
03-13-2003, 10:42 PM
subscribing...

:airguitar

LucentDreams
03-14-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm watching you Kirt

wildsheepchase
03-14-2003, 04:52 AM
I have a feeling most of us won't stand a chance against you in the comic department, Kirt! Can't wait to see your concepts:beer:

Kirt
03-14-2003, 08:54 AM
Well, I have about 3 different ideas for heros already. I just have to find some free time to draw them. My favorite so far is The Sloth! He's always a week late to save the day. :D

Sounds too funny to be original. Anyone know if that character was on the Tick or other similar show? I don't watch much TV so I may be reinventing characters already done. :shrug:

LucentDreams
03-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
Sounds too funny to be original. Anyone know if that character was on the Tick or other similar show? I don't watch much TV so I may be reinventing characters already done. :shrug:

Well I watched a fair bit of the tick cartoon, I don't recollect any Sloth, but thats exactly the kind of stuff they would do.I like the idea

Equinoxx
03-14-2003, 07:04 PM
:D

go go go ;)

Kirt
03-14-2003, 09:47 PM
OK I took a little less than 2 hours on this just to get the juices flowing. This is not a final idea ... just something to play with. No WIP images either because I'd consider it a speedpaint. Consider it something for you to look at for awhile until I get caught up on my film project. :D

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes01.jpg

Name: Zachary Billough (aka The Poser)

Description: Zach spends a little bit too much time reading comic books when he's not working as a Custodial Engineer for the local school district. He aspires to be like many of his favorite pulp action heroes and has created his own costume out of remnants of a professional wrestlers outfit that he bought off of E-bay.

Superpowers: Zach has a large video collection and is overly fond of catch phrases from his favorite action films. He can bore you death with his horridly off-beat impersonations of Arnold ("I'll be back"), Bruce ("Yippee Kai Yai Yay M---- F---!") or Deniro ("Are you talking to me?").

Weaknesses: Zach doesn't fight crime (or get out of the house too often) because he finds that he looks rather "studly" in his homemade costume. He vigilantly flexes and poses for himself while reciting the aforementioned movie dialogs. Zachary cannot pass by a mirror without looking at himself.

Base of Operations: Zach lives with his mom.

flamedevil
03-14-2003, 09:59 PM
hahaha :D
Looks funny, i like it a lot.
I really would like seeing the mom of a guy like that :scream: Where is she ?

TRyanD
03-14-2003, 10:15 PM
:applause:

:buttrock:

ilasolomon
03-14-2003, 10:58 PM
I don't know why, but Kirt's creatures always beg me to model them in 3D! ... now that ball-belly attracts me strongly! :love: :drool:
it's a little ... you know, looks like a ... forget it! LOL! :D

Kirt
03-15-2003, 12:44 AM
LOL @ ila :D

ewwww ... he's supposed to be repulsive. You sicko!

wildsheepchase
03-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Ewww...lol He's so pasty! I love the farmer's tan and the outty belly button.:applause:

Kirt
03-16-2003, 09:31 PM
OK ... here's another one that I did this morning. I should be working on something else, but this challenge is way too much fun. :D

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes02.jpg

Name: Billy Thornton (aka Overactive Bladderman)

Description: Billy was a frequent bed-wetter in his youth. As he went through puberty he discovered that what was once thought to be a childhood calamity, was in fact his unique super power. He soon learned that he could increase the volume of his urinations at will.

Superpowers: Give Billy a 2 liter bottle of soda and soon you'll be facing the wrath of his "Bladder Buster Vortex", "Tsunami Splash", "Golden Shower" or "The Geyser of Doom!"

Weaknesses: Well ... he has a weak bladder and they don't make diapers big enough for him. Kinda says it all don't it?

Base of Operations: Billy has a secret hideout located beneath a rest stop on Hwy 99, just north of Turlock, California.

KingMob
03-16-2003, 09:32 PM
:applause:

that face is pricelss...painfull discharge?

leigh
03-16-2003, 09:45 PM
ROFLMAO :applause:

These are AWESOME Kirt!! :D

I love the t-shirt tan on The Poser - great touch ;)

And as for Overactive Bladderman - man, that is too funny for words! That decoration around the neck of his outfit - PRICELESS :applause:

Fantastic work :thumbsup:

fellah
03-16-2003, 09:46 PM
woooahahahahahaha!!! :D the last one is hilarious! :D and good executed aswell, nice expression and colors. the dress with the peeDrops is very clever to! :)

dmcgrath
03-16-2003, 10:01 PM
Turlock,CA!!!!

*pees my pants*

LMAO

Russo
03-17-2003, 03:52 AM
hahahaahahahahahahahaahhahahahahhahahah oh my god, keep it coming Kirt! :thumbsup:

Slacker
03-17-2003, 03:59 AM
lol Kirt. :thumbsup:

DimitrisLiatsos
03-17-2003, 08:47 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Man ...i am loughing like crazy with the last one...hahahahah

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can i have a bigger version for desktop ? ....hahaha (signed of course !)

Kirt
03-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Those are actual size. Painted at 72dpi because I knew they would be fast illustrations.

The wife got a kick out of OABman too. He's going to be a tough one to top. But I'm not out of ideas yet! :D

stipen
03-17-2003, 03:47 PM
GREAT.....!!!!!!!!:applause: :thumbsup: :buttrock: :bounce:
Can't wait to see the "other ideas "

Gamoron
03-17-2003, 04:05 PM
LOL! Great ideas so far Kirt.

jeroentje
03-17-2003, 06:25 PM
ROFLMAO Kirt does it again :bounce:

bookmarker
03-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Fine work..
I think these images are your direct entries. But do we have to start a treat and present skethes and such wip things like in 3d contests? Or the entry is enough to join the challenge?
:shrug:

Kirt
03-18-2003, 04:17 PM
No, these are just for fun. I'll add an environment and more 'action' for a final piece.

If you want to enter the challenge you should start a thread and show WIPs. It is a WIP challenge after all. However, it hasn't stopped anyone from entering without them.

Just so you know ... as a matter of principal, I usually don't cast votes for entries without threads and WIPs. That's just the way I am. :D

Mangled Poly
03-18-2003, 04:49 PM
2nd one is awesome :)

art7sayan
03-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Hehe Kirt! This last one is really cool...classic idea (I was thinkin' about the same hero) but very well done ! :buttrock:

Good luck ! :thumbsup:

:wavey:

-Arty-

visualboo
03-19-2003, 02:54 AM
HAHAHHAHHAHHA.... that tan line.... :)

Classic

Soeren Nielsen
03-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Hahaha Kirt, genious, just genious :D
cant wait to see what your next hero will be like, cause these kick ass. :thumbsup:

Kirt
03-21-2003, 07:02 PM
An experiment with anthropomorphic oxymorons ... sorry, I had to do one. :D

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes03.jpg

Name: specimen 1382B-21 (aka Samurai Sloth)

Description: Removed from the Brazilian rain forest by Japanese researchers, specimen 1382B-21 was subjected to DNA and hormone testing in an effort to amplify human speed, agility & stamina. Unfortunately the experiments failed and specimen 1382B-21 was released from the program. The sloth was transfered to a nearby village petting zoo/donut shop, where his cage was kept in close proximity to the employee's breakroom.

Superpowers: A Television set in the breakroom, that was left on 24 hours a day, taught specimen 1382B-21 all he needed to know about the art of fighting and the code of the samurai. Using his skills, he vows revenge on the corporation that used him for their experiments & others who would exploit animals for testing purposes.

Weaknesses: As already stated, the experiments failed. Instead of gaining enhanced abilities, the experiments had the opposite effect on him. The Samurai Sloth is unaware that to others he appears dead and motionless most of the time. (see above for video sequence of Samurai Sloth in action)

Base of Operations: Sugar Hai Donuts & Petting Zoo, Japan

KingMob
03-21-2003, 07:16 PM
thats awesome...man i want to model these in 3d....

Maybe the 2d and 3d forums should unite sometimes eh?

You have a lot of skill...

If you dont mind me asking, do you do it on paper, then ps, or do you just wacom it all in ps?

I'm officially a fan!

:beer:

Kirt
03-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks KingMob! I still draw on paper, the wacom isn't precise enough for me or I'm used to feeling the drag of the paper surface. I pencilled all of these Superguys and then colored them in PS (which is how I work on most of my illustrations).

If you or anyone else wants to model these, I'd be honored. I love seeing my characters in 3D! All I ask is that you give me credit for the concepts and send me some URLs so I can show off your work on my website. :thumbsup:

Also (since I mod the 2D Forum :D), we have been trying to get more concepts and cooperative works started between the 2D and 3D guys.

See our latest attempt at bridging the gap. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47261)

Jokke
03-21-2003, 07:35 PM
ROFLMAO!!! :D :thumbsup: :scream: :p :xtreme: hahaha!!!The Samurai Sloth is unaware that to others he appears dead and motionless most of the time. (see above for video sequence of Samurai Sloth in action)

:D Hahaha! I just can't stop laughing!!!

Btw I really admire your talent!!! ...can i have some of it?! :p

Well anyway... really najs work!! Both pics and ideas!!

:buttrock: Rock on, bubba!

Kirt
03-22-2003, 02:11 AM
My wife says, "Why can't you just speak english?!?"

So, here's a few definitions in case you don't know:

anthropomorphic - ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things. Disney characters are anthropomorphic (Mickey Mouse walks, talks, & dresses like a human).

oxymoron - a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness).

I also used an online English to Japanese dictionary for the symbols on his pants. They're supposed to say "Sloth Samurai" but since I don't have any Japanese proof readers ... I'm not 100% sure that I'm not writing something offensive there.

Sorry :D

DimitrisLiatsos
03-22-2003, 12:11 PM
:bounce: U never stop drawing Kirt ....when are u sleeping?

Samurai is great .....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: beautifull colors ...I wish i could draw with 1/4 of your talent:drool:

And now something from the movie MY GREEK WEDDING...

Do u know that the words "anthropomorphic" & "oxymoron" are pure Greek words ?:bounce:

visualboo
03-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
I also used an online English to Japanese dictionary for the symbols on his pants.
Address?

Kirt
03-22-2003, 06:05 PM
DimitrisLiatsos - Sleep? What's that? :D

visualboo - English to Japanese Dictionary (http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/inline/) I'm sure there are others available, but I found this one had larger images of the characters available if you selected the 'graphic' interface.

unLevel
03-24-2003, 01:43 AM
no, kirt, you didn't write anything offensive...though I haven't read kanji in like 2 years....

one of the more offensive things that can be said in japanese, I think, is "bokemons" which is like "you jerk" in japanese...don't know the kanji or katakana for it, but I wrote it like it sounds...

I took 2 years of japanese, the writing part wasn't fun, but it was fun overall, our jap teacher thought we were too lazy...oh, well....

Kirt
03-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Figured I'd put in a girl as my last one ... now I have to assemble these into a final image or come up with something better. :D

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes04.jpg

Name: Tiffy Blair Winston (aka Tantrum)

Description: Tiffy has had a rather fortunate life. Her wealthy parents spoil her with anything and everything that she desires.

Superpowers: Over the years (especially through puberty) she has developed a unique vocal ability that is rather painful to those within a one mile radius. She can wail and screech loudly and also cause seismic activity by forcefully pounding her feet on the ground.

Weaknesses: Tiffy can easily be distracted by shiny jewels, exotic automobiles, furs or men who work in the medical profession.

Base of Operations: Classified by the Pentagon pending the outcome of Operation White Noise

ilasolomon
03-28-2003, 11:15 PM
look@that mouth, LOOK @ THAT BIG SCREAMING MOUTH! Oyyy, my ears!
Kirt, I've notice you paint the BG purple, don't know you have this or not but here in iran we call a very loud & terrrfic screech 'THE PURPLE SCREAM', so it makes sense for me!

dinlenmis
03-29-2003, 09:23 PM
She's sexy!
By the way you seem like a design factory! I think you will create a new scene for your character when you made your decision...

tmt
03-30-2003, 12:51 PM
loool Kirt, that's just amazing! :thumbsup: :buttrock:

coCoKNIght
03-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Wow, very nice work, I especially like the mouth, yay! :D

Iguiniz.X.
04-01-2003, 10:29 AM
The last one is hilarious, really lovin the consept and background story of your hero.
Getting me currius how you will put the three togheter in a final pic:drool:
goood luck with this and your aliens short film:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

OZ
04-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Ho Ho hO hoooo GREAT!!!Heeee sooo funny!! Great 2d challenge man!:applause:

Kirt
04-01-2003, 10:49 PM
ila_solomon - No, I've never heard that expression before. It's a good coincidence though. I'll accept that. :D

dinlenmis - Well, I find this type of work easy to do. I love cartoons and superheroes. I bet I could do a book easily, if I had a really strong story to tell.

Iquiniz.X. - I think you missed one somewhere ... there are 4 designs done. I had an idea to put these characters together, but I also have another idea for a hero. Final concept illustration will come shortly. If I finish it early, then I'll come back to these 4 characters and do something fun with them.

tmt, coCoKNIght & -OZ- - Thank you! :beer:

Kirt
04-02-2003, 09:23 PM
OK ... time to get to work on a final. Here's a first sketch of my hero, Cockroachman! I'll have a background bio on him a bit later.

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes05.jpg

Frinsklen
04-02-2003, 09:38 PM
ok, so this is the final one?

Not sure if it's the best so far, but damn, it will do. :)
Fantastic concept, really. I can't wait to see what his superpowers will be... superjump? super-cockroach-extra-life? :D

ilasolomon
04-02-2003, 09:53 PM
SuperSpurt or SuperSpew! ... hey, I Love This Soooo Much!

DimitrisLiatsos
04-02-2003, 09:58 PM
:bounce: Kirt ..i have a new name for u ....Kirt - the concept Design FACTORY

:bounce:

pabbloz
04-02-2003, 10:07 PM
The best! you're the best! :applause: :thumbsup:

Kirt
04-03-2003, 05:37 AM
Frinsklen - Well, that's my plan for now. I'm just having too much fun with this challenge. I think I could do these for a year if they extended the deadline that long. We'll see how quickly I get this one done and if I have time for anything else.

ila_solomon - spurt and spew in one sentence - wow, you would fit in well with many of my close friends :D

DimitrisLiatsos - Do I have to pay a royalty if I use that? :deal: (snickers)

pabbloz - You're too kind, sir! Thank you. :beer:

dmcgrath
04-03-2003, 06:59 AM
I have a good superpower for him! Squish him and have him spring back into shape, just like a real cockroach :) .

Kinda hard to make that in to a 2D still challenge, but, I had to throw it out there.

angel-o-polis
04-10-2003, 04:26 PM
:thumbsup: , the DDT- Man could be the perfect enemy for the Cockroachman, jejejejej:thumbsup: :applause:

OZ
04-11-2003, 04:30 PM
YYYEZ!!!:buttrock:

swag
04-12-2003, 10:35 PM
can u give me 5% of ure skill - wau

OZ
04-19-2003, 09:33 AM
MMMOOOORE!! moore please!!:drool:

Kirt
04-20-2003, 12:12 AM
hmmm ... almost end of the month already? Time is not my friend. I got an idea to put my characters into a one page comic. I'm going to get this started soon I hope. Cockroachman is being exterminated (but I think I can put him in the page as well). Updates sometime ...

angel-o-polis
04-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Cockroachman likes me :annoyed: :cry:

Kirt
04-27-2003, 07:00 AM
Got bored with the comic page ... so sue me. I started another hero today. Painting this one directly in Photoshop so you should get a few WIPs out of me. I'm leaving my Legion of Loosers up on the Challenge site just in case I run out of time on this one. See if you can figure this guy out. Heheheh

Here's the first update ...

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes06.jpg

Frinsklen
04-27-2003, 01:51 PM
haha, only Kirt would come up with a brand new idea 3 days before the deadline. :buttrock:

His name! what's his name?? superpowers? supergirlfriend?
Looking really good, as always, just hurry up!

:thumbsup:

ilasolomon
04-27-2003, 10:37 PM
:D LOL!

Kirt
04-28-2003, 01:24 AM
eh ... it's coming along :D

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes07.jpg

I think that I'll call this one ... Riptide : A Man With a Porpoise! You can probably guess by now that he uses sea creatures as costume accessories and weapons.

coCoKNIght
04-28-2003, 05:34 AM
It's coming along? It's great! fantastique, non, magnifique! :thumbsup:

Kirt
04-28-2003, 10:56 PM
tweeked with the background a bit and started working on the porpoise ... still got to finish up his seaweed cape. Then I'll be almost done. :D

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes08.jpg

Kid-Mesh
04-29-2003, 04:07 AM
LOL --- who is that "Sea Jesus"??

Very cool, you come up with concepts quick!

Kirt
04-29-2003, 09:44 PM
http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/heroes09.jpg

Name: David "Davey" Jones (aka Riptide)

Description: Davey aspired to be a Marine Biologist. Unfortunately, he graduated with the lowest GPA of his class and was unable to find work after graduation. Determined to work with the creatures of the sea, he opted for a career in crime fighting.

Superpowers: Knowledgable (as far as lowest GPAs go) in marine life, Davey utilizes the unique abilities of sea creatures as his arsenal (i.e. puffer fish as throwing stars, dolphins as clubs, jellyfish as paralysis devices).

Weaknesses: Aside from his aforementioned underachievement in academics, Davey logically has many issues with the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Constantly involved in legal battles with the organization and being incarcerated for cruelty to animals, Davey boderlines being classified as a super-villian.

Base of Operations: Montery, CA

Jokke
04-29-2003, 09:54 PM
hehe nice character! :beer: I love the squid on his face and the round spiky fish... Don't remember what it's really called..

You should post this in the "life under the ocean" mini-challenge too! :bounce:

Kirt
04-30-2003, 05:40 PM
:bounce: Done! Weeeeeeee ....

Good Luck to everyone on the Challenge. This has been a really fun one to work on. Looking forward to the next. :D

Pancreas
04-30-2003, 08:29 PM
This thread has been a pleasure to follow, what a bunch of deranged and laughable chaps, as their creator. You sure had fun with this challenge. My favorite is Riptide, that octopuss helmet makes me laugh histerically.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
04-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Overall alot of excellent and fun creations. Great to see sooooo much top quality work in one thread.Great job Kirt,just wanted to come in say you get two thumbs up for both the amount and quality of work you cranked out here.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
05-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Great job, Kirt! I think Riptide was my favorite:beer:

DV8
05-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Nice work on the challenge. what program did you use to paint? photoshop or painter?

Kirt
05-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Pancreas - Thank you, I did have fun with this one. It seems as though the number of entries and voting is down on this one, but from my point of view this was my favorite challenge. I guess I just enjoy drawing hapless characters. :D

Virtuoso - Yeah, I probably could have kept going for awhile. I had at least 5-6 other ideas that either were incomplete in my sketchbook or never made it out of my head. Favorite comic book during high school was Groo the Wanderer by Sergio Aragones ... so the hapless hero theme always had an influence on my art.

wildsheepchase - :beer: I think I'm partial to Overactive Bladderman ... if anyone is keeping score. :D

DV8 - Riptide is 100% Photoshop @150dpi, the others started with scanned linework @72dpi. I haven't picked up Painter yet ... someday I'll get it. :shrug:

ilasolomon
05-06-2003, 10:15 PM
I haven't picked up Painter yet
:surprised you jokin' ... I don't believe! :buttrock:

pica$$0
05-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Kirt I am new to this forum and all I have to say is you got mad talent! I wish I could illustrate as well as you do GOOD LUCK!

pica$$0
05-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Kirt,

How do you come up with so many ideas in such a short time. What helps you get those creative juices a flowin?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kirt
05-07-2003, 04:11 PM
ila_solomon - No joke, I guess I just need to do some more freelancing and get my Painter soon. :D Extra income around my house usually goes to the kids first. Darn diaper expenses, food, clothing and all ... :annoyed:

pica$$o - :wavey: Welcome to CGTalk! Hmmmm ... I never really had a problem with ideas as they seem to come to me faster than I can get them on paper. I suppose it's due to an overactive imagination (with a light mix of lunacy) and the amount of time I spend away from my drawing board. My job (after 12 years) has become a no-brainer so I can work on ideas at least 9 - 10 hours a day. :D Thank you for your kind comments.

pica$$0
05-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Kirt I feel honored to speak with you. So what type of work do you do right now? Are you in the industry already or do you just do this for fun? I hope to learn a lot from you. I will post my work later, My weakness is in drawing but I have a true talent for design and layout (so people have told me) :shrug: Well I will be checking up on this site for a while. Here is a logo that I created for a Paintball team
let me know what you think. I drew the snake so I'm interested to hear what you have to say. Peace out!

Kirt
05-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Honored? Well ... that's nice, but don't put me on any pedastals. I'm just an average Joe like everyone else here. :shrug:

No, I'm not in the industry. I am currently employed by a community bank and my career has been in Information Technologies. However, I have done freelance stuff here and there so I guess you could say I have my foot in the door (or maybe at least a toe).

Really it's just a big time hobby and interest for me. I've always had pencil and paper handy reguardless of my current career (it's good that the bank doesn't mind too much if I doodle during down times). :D

Your logo looks pretty clean and easy to read. Simple black and white design that makes it easy to see all of the elements quickly. If I were to suggest any changes, I'd say the snake could use a more agressive pose and the "venom" text wasn't as noticable as the other parts of the design. It's good, but could be better.

If you'd like more critique of your work, go ahead and post it in the 2D Forum (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=31). I moderate there so I'll be sure to give you a response (and you'll benifit from the critiques of others as well).

Cheers :beer:

FYI (forum ettiquette thing) - I don't mind ... but some artists may object to you posting your art in a thread that they started.

ilasolomon
06-03-2003, 08:07 AM
CONGRATULATION DEAR KIRT! :D:thumbsup: :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.