PDA

View Full Version : "Whoops!!!"-villain-sinbad

sinbad
03-13-2003, 03:01 PM
This is my second challenge, time for some big improvements in my work.
(I'm really happy we can use a single mesh this time!)

Here's my idea...
An unfeasably strong villain breaks into a bank by smashing through the wall. With the alarm sounding, he emerges from the hole with a stack of gold bars piled up high. He drops the gold bars onto his foot (agony!) which he attempts to then pull free. He pulls his foot out but catapults backwards into a wall which collapses on top of him.

Here's an early image:

http://www.sharpanimation.co.uk/Whoops!.jpg

I'll show a storyboard soon.

Paul

westmeadow
03-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Hiya Paul,
This will be my first challenge. Good luck with yours, and i hope it is a good one, for all of us here.

Assie :bounce:

sinbad
03-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks Assie, I look forward to seeing your idea.

Paul

noktUp
03-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Hey sin bad I recently did some tests of a dynamics brick wall toppling over. If you are interested in scene run down, then I would be most happy to provide you with one.

Story sounds good so far!!!!
Good-a-ruck!

BishopLynx
03-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Welcome back again sinbad. Good luck with everything.

sinbad
03-16-2003, 12:11 PM

Hi noktUp

Thanks for the offer, what software were you using? I'm doing this thing in LightWave so I'll see if it is capable as it doesn't do hard body dynamics (although I've seen a brick wall being knocked over in a LW tutorial somewhere).

Cheers

p

noktUp
03-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Sorry eh?
The scene was done in joo program maya. How are you gonna do the wall effect if Lightwave has no dynamiks?? Fake it some how?
Or key bricks individually? ouch. maybe if you grp the bricks into into grps of 5, animate those for general movement, then go into the grps and animate the bricks one by one?!?!?! either way......ouch.

Best of luck to you:)

DaveW
03-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Lightwave has dynamics, they're just supposed to be for softbodies only. But you can use them for hard bodies too. It will probably be pretty slow to calculate though. It might be better to use particles with big bounding boxes.

sinbad
03-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Here is a first blockout
DivX 436kb

www.sharpanimation.co.uk/whoops_blockout.avi

Thanks

Paul

Mangled Poly
03-18-2003, 05:51 PM
funny :)

sketchyjay
03-20-2003, 02:51 PM
good start.

sinbad
03-26-2003, 10:11 AM
Just some news concerning my challenge... I've decided to purchase MOTIONBUILDER to use with LightWave, and will re-rig my villain.
This will delay things as I need to get to grips with this software as soon as I can, but Its good as it will force me to learn it.
Thanks to the 3d buzz online class I should be there in a week or two.

I'm hoping this will give me the kind of tools I need to help me improve, especially with IK/FK blending which is complicated to set up in LW. Yes I know it shouldn't matter what app you use, but every little helps.

Will post soon...
paul

sinbad
04-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Ok, finally got an update... Its been a mad few weeks, I've dived into 2 new packages (xsi certified course & motionbuilder) and my plan was to use motionbuilder to animate this challenge.... but given the impending deadline, I'm not yet confident enough with the package so I'll use it on the next challenge. SO... back to Lightwave and some frantic animating.

Here we go. (divx 710kb)

www.sharpanimation.co.uk/whoops_blockout4.avi

I'm not sure if I have to build in the audio clip, I might squeeze it in at the beginning as he's running towards the car...
There's a bit of tidying up to do, but it's mostly there.

Paul

sketchyjay
04-18-2003, 03:22 AM
yeah the sound part is missing. Need to add him saying his lines at beginning then continue.

The bricks dropping seem too quick. it appears on his foot. You may want to let it fall over 3-4 frames.

sinbad
04-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Here is my final piece...

DIVX

www.sharpanimation.co.uk/Whoops_divx.avi

I can't fit the sorenson onto my website as it's too big...

Thanks

Paul

dprodr
04-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Hey Sinbad!

Nice work man! Really like the ending. Very funny!!!:cool:

Keep up the good work man.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dal:bounce:

sketchyjay
04-30-2003, 09:26 PM
The trick to getting it to the right size is to limit the data rate.

use sorenson 3 not sorenson which is older and bigger.

for a 320x240 movie I set the data rate to 96kbs or 128kbs. sound i made mono qdesign II at 22000hz. this results in a 1-1.4MB file

if you need more info i can take you through it

Jay

sinbad
05-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Here's the sorensen 3. I limited the data rate etc but its still the same size (about 15mb 320 x 240) I've had to delete half my website to accommodate this aaaaargh! never mind, it needed redesigning anyway.

Sorensen3

www.sharpanimation.co.uk/Whoops_QTsor3.mov

DivX

www.sharpanimation.co.uk/whoops_divx.avi

Thanks.

paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.