PDA

View Full Version : attempt on complex animation - running character with a coat (please help) - 3D Max

Piotrek255
05-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm making an animation of a character running in one place(biped with motion capture animation with mode set to play the animation in one place), the problem is that the character wears a coat, and i want it animated(weaving) as he runs so:

i duplicated the character and on his basis i created his coat(i cut his head and legs, added some polys), as i done that, i applied the cloth modifier with all things set, but when i ran the simulation, it took akes to render one frame.

it said that the collision velocity was too high or something... so i made the cloth from plane, and it was better, i added wind, but when it came to assigning his coat to him RUNNING, i didnt know how to do it, all my attempts failed(i tried constrain-> link contrain, grouping). maybe i'm doing something wrong. if anyone had a succesful attempt on doing this kind of animation, it will be great if you can help me, thanks

Frankyboy
05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
you need a gradual transition from standard pose (with the clothes fitting) to the running motion.

Piotrek255
05-04-2007, 11:54 PM
i came up with an idea. how about make the coat on my character in the middle of an animation of running, set the cloth to collide with the character and with itself so that when the character runs, he provides the collision, and coat behaves very natural, then i will add some wind.

what do you think , will it work?

PS: i think it would burn my processor though....

Frankyboy
05-05-2007, 04:55 AM
That's what the Cloth modifier is made for. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Piotrek255
05-05-2007, 09:08 AM
i just want to find a way to simulate that kind of animation faster, doing what i wrote, i would have to wait about 10 minutes for one frame to simulate... i wanted to know how other people would do it.

Frankyboy
05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
If you like, you can post your scene file or pm me and I'll take a look. 10 min per frame is somewhat excessive.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.