PDA

View Full Version : dynamics run-up

Octagon
03-13-2003, 10:24 AM
To the Dynamic People :)

I've had frequent minor headaches with Mayas runup routine for some time now and haven't found a cure.

I tried to get some help in the following thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45563
but couldnt get too much feedback

Help! :bounce:

matthias

kag122
03-21-2003, 05:41 AM
Hi matthias

have your tried removing the initial state when you want to change things, then you could just run them up again and then set the initial state once more.

In spite of oll this the particles time attribute should work. Sometimes here at work i have the same problem. Most of the time I find that if i delete particle caching and then disable it. then rewind the scene back to minus numbers and hit play it usually fixes itself.

Octagon
03-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by kag122
Hi matthias

have your tried removing the initial state when you want to change things, then you could just run them up again and then set the initial state once more.

I was not using initial state at all for my recent tasks. I needed to get lots of iterations for the beginning of shots (shot required areas covered with ground fog, smoke type particles). When everything looked fine I diskcached particles, so I didnt really make use of setting initial states since the initial state was in essence what I was tweaking in each and every iteration.

In spite of oll this the particles time attribute should work. Sometimes here at work i have the same problem. Most of the time I find that if i delete particle caching and then disable it. then rewind the scene back to minus numbers and hit play it usually fixes itself.

thx for your input!

Maybe it's not the particles time attribute only that makes maya perform a longer run-up? I'm absolutely sure that all my particles start at, say frame 400. Still, a run-up would cause maya to runup from frame 1. And it would always start at frame 1 no matter what the global start time of the scene is! (really strange).
There are also rigid bodies in the scene, but I have rigid body nodes set to not evaluate (only doing particle work). I also tried changing the start time of the rigid solver node but to no avail.

Btw, is it possible to script or at least write a custom plug-in to only perform a run-up for certain dynamic objects? Or should this be accomplished by making dynamic objects non-dynamic via the "is dynamic" attribute?

matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.