PDA

View Full Version : Jonny Gorden Aborigine

Zarathustra
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Did Jonny ever make his character available to the public? I'm asking because I have a client who says he saw a demo from another animation company and in it was an aboriginal character that sure sounded a lot like Jonny's. Thing is, I know the company uses LW, so I started thinking hmmm....

Thanks.

ztreem
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I not sure but wasn't it included on the content cd for LW 8? maybe not...

Zarathustra
05-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Ok, I just heard from my client and he says it was the same character.

I just did a quick look in my LW8 content folder and didn't see it. If it's there, what would the filename be? Is it rigged, too? Morphs included?

Maybe I should email Jonny.

ztreem
05-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Mail Jonny, it's the easiest way to find out if they have permission to use his model.

Zarathustra
05-02-2007, 11:18 PM
What's suspicious is the work isn't shown on a public demo or their website. They just show it to potential clients in meetings. That's what they did for a client of mine, claiming or at least implying that they created the character as well as animated it. Where I come from, that's known as shady.

Mechis
05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Did you look in both content cd's for LW8? I kind of remember it being there too.... I don't have my cd's with me, or I'd look.

~Mechis

ztreem
05-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Yep, that sounds suspicious. Especially if they try to take credit for the model.

DaveW
05-03-2007, 01:46 AM
It definately came on one of the content CDs for LW8, I animated a little test clip using the Aboriginee shortly after getting LW 8.

T4D
05-03-2007, 01:47 AM
I pretty sure it was on the LW 8 content

the LW 8 content was filled with great content ,.. but you could NOT uses it for any commercal work,..( I remember having a job that needed a gorilla ( a good one was on the LW 8 cd when I email Newtek if i could use it I was told NO
" you have to contect the artist " it already took me a week to get the reply from Newtek I was already 80% thought modeling one ..

it was silly to package that type of content with the release because stuff like this happens and 99.99% of the content on any software nowadays is 100% except for that one LW 8 release ??

seem they cut alot of that for the LW 9 content release which is good and is now the way it always has been. ( pre LW 8 )
if you buy Full LW you get to uses all content uses it any way you want for any job.,.

:hmm: email Jonny he's a legend and he would like to know of the issue.

DarkLight
05-03-2007, 09:33 AM
It's definately in the LW8 contents. Check the Endo Sliders directory and it's in there.

E_Moelzer
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Well, we gave all the rights to the content scenes and objects, we made for LW 8.0 to NewTek (moonbase, shuttle, Tpy 21 submarine, Md 900 explorer- helicopter, freighter ship, A330, Transrapid train, Truck, etc, etc) .
I am very sure that at least these scenes are for free use for everything.
CU
Elmar

Zarathustra
05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks, I had someone yesterday tell me where to find it. I also took screenshots of the other characters in that endo slider folder and sent them to my client to see if any of them were being passed off as this company's work, too.

What Jonny told me is very true and it seems to be what these people are experiencing now, and that is that if they need to show other's work in order to get a job then it's going to be rough once they have to produce.

I've really never paid much attention to what's in those content folders beyond the benchmark scenes. I've always built my own models for all of my work whenever possible so the thought of actually using any of that stuff never crossed my mind. I'm finding that quality modeling is one of those things most companies either can't or won't do. This cheeky company has been spending weeks trying to produce a character anywhere near what I made in a little over a day as a test. I recently had an animation company try to contract me to do an animation and when talking about ways to do it they're mentioning crappy things like using Poser, scaling down things to basic shapes and other hacks like front projections. Each time when asked how I would approach a "tricky" part I said, "well I'd model that" to which I was looked at like I had lobsters coming out of my ears. I cooked up some prelim work and they were giddy but then when I talked contract they insisted on getting all the assets (ie - models) along with the animations. Yeah, I bet they'd love to have my models and then I'd be seeing them in every animation they make probably for the next 5 years at least.
*note - I have a thread about this in the general section entitled "Intellectual Property"

Personally, I think quality modeling is really at the heart of a quality animation. You invest the time at the front end and it makes everything else easier. You'll be able to shoot from anywhere, and get as close as you want. You can maybe even get away with poor lighting and texturing if the models are good enough. Without the quality models, then you have to pull tricks and that's just putting a dress on a pig, it really isn't pretty, whereas a supermodel would still be hot wearing a potato sack.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.