PDA

View Full Version : How does Mudbox handle so much polygons?

Theropoda
05-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Hello,
I'm an austrian student of media technology and am currently writing my diploma thesis where i want to explain the new modeling-workflows and possibilities high-resolution modelers just like mudbox offer.
what i'm interested in are articles or basic explanations on how the software is able to handle millions of polygons performantly. i would really like to know what's "behind the scenes", what principles make those high numbers of polygons possible?
is it clever memory management, or something like zbrush's pixols?
The website says mudbox "works around the limitations of your hardware"... but how does it do that?
And how do others like Hexagon or Silo?

I'm also grateful for any articles that generally explain the mudbox workflow and give further information on mudbox.

Thanks in advance,
GŁnter

oglu
05-02-2007, 04:06 PM
hi gŁnther...
check your PN...

frinkky
05-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Oh thats just rude :D I want to know too....

Lamster
05-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Hahahahah! Ooh Sekrits.

Terence

jramauri
05-20-2007, 03:48 AM
I think it would be a bit hard get this kind of info in a closed app like Mudbox or Zbrush. Try to contact the good guys of Blender. It's an open source project, and nobody has reasons to hide how they made it. Sculpt in Blender it's not so powerfull yet, but it's very promising.

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/sculpt-mode/

thatoneguy
05-20-2007, 05:27 AM
One approach is to "render" the viewport and then only update polygons currently under the cursor. This way if you you're only changing a few thousand polygons it's only rendering a few thousand polygons. I think this is how PolySpeed for 3D Studio Max does it.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2007, 05:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.