PDA

View Full Version : How do I speed up GI renders in lightwave?

policarpo
01-03-2002, 08:31 PM
can anyone give me any special settings to speed good quality renders in lw6.5 when using Global Illumination?

I'm just using a Skydome and 1 Spot in my scene...and it's taking like 20 minutes for a very simple scene. :mad:

i'm on a PIII 450 with 916mb of Ram.

thanks
-policarpo

or is this normal with my machine speed?

Bytehawk
01-04-2002, 01:27 PM
GI takes a long time to render.

You could try to :

- bake your objects
- fake it
- change the GI settings

the settings speed up depending on the size of your scene and thus are specific.

If you want to see a good example on how to use the baked lumination to dirty up objects, visit my site and look under wip.

cheers.

:D

policarpo
01-04-2002, 01:39 PM
thanks Bytehawk...

I guess the only way I can truly speed up my GI renders is to get that 1.4GHZ T-Bird I've had my eyes on for the past couple months.

That should speed things up quite nicely.

Thanks for the reply!

-policarpo

Bytehawk
01-04-2002, 03:23 PM
no problem

speed will increase if you buy a new computer,

that is...
after you have reinstalled all your programs and gizmo's, changed all your settings back to how you want it, restored all the data from your old computer to your new one, went through installing 2 different OS because the program you so need doesn't run on XP....., went through the pain of finding that elusive install cd you really need,... i can go on

oh how much fun it is to get a new computer
:D :D :D

policarpo
01-04-2002, 06:07 PM
yup.

progress can be a pain in the royal arse at times.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.