PDA

View Full Version : Atari Reduces Workforce By 20 Percent

RobertoOrtiz
05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Gamasutra is running an article on upcoming staff reduction at Atari.
20% of its overall workforce will lose their jobs.
Atari says its overall reductions will be completed by the end of July.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13759

-R

cookepuss
05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Hardly surprising. Atari more or less went from being a powerhouse company to a simple brand label. It stopped being the house that Bushnell built ages ago. Ever since the 80's crash, Atari has been doing this yo-yo thing. Similar situation with the Commodore brand. I'm just surprised that the names alone have survived as long as they have. They're really legacies of a bygone era. Just wait. Eventually, Atari will come back up again. Maybe a hit franchise or some outside capital. Its managed to survive this long.

Signal2Noise
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Wow, I hadn't realized Atari were still around. :shrug:

Rye
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
atari still has a workforce?

Neil
05-02-2007, 08:08 PM
oh yeah, they certainly are guys. They just pumped out those great Matrix games :rolleyes:

Its funny how every year i read about how much the game industry is growing, and then every week I read about design houses downsizing and closures.

XLNT-3d
05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
oh yeah, they certainly are guys. They just pumped out those great Matrix games :rolleyes:

Its funny how every year i read about how much the game industry is growing, and then every week I read about design houses downsizing and closures.

probably underbid the cost or work expanded, but without a budget increase. Sometimes a great opportunity can bury you at the same time. Sort of like that guy trying to break the sound barrier. "Hey, you'll be the first, what a great opportunity. Too bad you won't be around to enjoy it."

cookepuss
05-02-2007, 08:14 PM
oh yeah, they certainly are guys. They just pumped out those great Matrix games
That's not fair. Most licensed games tend to suck anyway, especially those based on movies. It's not exactly as if they're alone in that.

True in itself, but not necessarily true of Atari. That whole situation has been one long rollercoaster ride. One minute it's shut down. The next, it's a thriving label again. Blink for five minutes and 20% of their force gets cut. Wait another year and we'll here about yet another Atari rebirth. It's been like that for the past 20 years with them. It'll probably be like that for another 20 more.

Garibaldi
05-02-2007, 08:27 PM
You all do know that the Atari of now is not the same company from the 1980's? THAT company was bought out by Hasbro then let to expire. Another company bought the rights to the name a few years later.

So Atari is really Atari in name only.

XLNT-3d
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
You all do know that the Atari of now is not the same company from the 1980's? THAT company was bought out by Hasbro then let to expire. Another company bought the rights to the name a few years later.

So Atari is really Atari in name only.

I didn't know that. I know HASBRO bought out a game company in Baltimore that did alot of military flight sim stuff. It was Micro something. They let that expire too. A few of those animators ended up at Firaxis and Big Huge Games I think.

Garibaldi
05-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Microprose maybe?

That one I hadn't known myself.

Seems Hasbro has made a habit of buying up and letting go under otherwise decent game companies. Sounds like a conspiracy to me.:rolleyes:

I didn't know that. I know HASBRO bought out a game company in Baltimore that did alot of military flight sim stuff. It was Micro something. They let that expire too. A few of those animators ended up at Firaxis and Big Huge Games I think.

richcz3
05-03-2007, 12:49 AM
I didn't know that. I know HASBRO bought out a game company in Baltimore that did alot of military flight sim stuff. It was Micro something. They let that expire too. A few of those animators ended up at Firaxis and Big Huge Games I think. Microprose - Yep, lots of great flight sims died - last one out their door was European Air War.

schuubars
05-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Atari is since 2001 just a brand of Infogrames.

btw there is a much more interesting article about throwing the money out of the window for nothing. ;)

cresshead
05-03-2007, 01:41 AM
most probable they are downsizing their usa and european workforce and will be seeking new staff from india, china etc at a much lower cost per artist..seems to be the way of it of late.

and some of the indian and chinese artists are VERY good btw.

86point5
05-03-2007, 01:45 AM
The Atari from the 80's is long gone. It's basically been companies selling the right to use the name (and intellectual property) for around 15 years now.

As someone who grew up with the 2600 game console and then the 800XL home computer it's sad to see the name tossed around from company to company. People don't realize how incredible they were back in the day ... now all they think about is "that game company that's always on the brink of going out of existence".

Sigh.

cresshead
05-03-2007, 01:48 AM
i still have my atari ste and midi software and my atari jaguar too...and a bunch of games for it!

i can remember going on a holiday back in the 70's and playing pong...was amazing time to be growing up...

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2007, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.