PDA

View Full Version : Steel Mirror/ ipod backface HELP

adityaprabhu
05-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey all, Ive been doing a short animation of an ipod and to combine it with real footage of an office desk. I have modelled the ipod. Now, i really have no idea what material to use for the back of the ipod. Its completely reflective, like a mirror and its steel, (everyone has seen/used one). also it has "iPod" engraved on it. So Now, how do i get started on the backface? can anyone help me with a short step by step procedure? Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Aditya

inguatu
05-02-2007, 04:40 PM
a standard shiny reflective material and a very nice reflective enivronment for added realism.

The main question I have to ask is why the ipod specifically? Yeah it's sold millions of units and Steve Jobs can sleep better at night, and I understand it's recognizable in a portion of the mainstream, but this is your chance to make your own mp3 player. Since this job isn't for Apple, you have the freedom to create your own. If not, just see above.

adityaprabhu
05-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tip inguatu! As for your question, my aim at present is to render a photorealistic image of The ipod...
About the environment, how do i setup an environment? Areyou talking about image planes? Or is it a material i have to apply? (like the maya documentation tells me about "envBall" "envSky"!!) I dunno what they all do... Any help here?
Thanks!

drmz
05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
hey,

you dont need to map a photorealistic enviroment. to get a nice chrome effect a black/white ramp shader mapped on an envSphere to the reflected color - slot (of a blinn-material) works good.
you can download such a shader here: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/shaders/Chrome-2659.html

take a look at it, very easy to understand if you see it.

adityaprabhu
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Heyy!! thank you so much for that tip and the link drmz!! i should've searched on highend3d earlier... anyway, cgtalk is always such a huge resource!!
thanks!
Regards,
Aditya

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.