PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting survey

tharmine
05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi guys,
this is not really a survey, but i am collecting information on the Matte Painting usage in production, and would like you to help me completing it with some more informations. I am sure your answer will be usefull to everybody too.

This is addressed to all profesionnal artist, which have been paid for their work doing matte painting :

A what proportion (in %) of 2d establishing shot /illustration/ game background have you done (no live action footage in it, as opposed to B)?

B what proportion (in %) of 2d set extention have you done (live action footage in it)?

C what proportion (in %) of 2.5d matte paiting have you done, establishing shot or set extension (where there is 3d model in it and a camera movement)?

D of all the matte painting you have done, how many(in %) of 1) print illustration 2) tv commercial or serie 3) movie 4) games have you done ?

E do you think that matte painting (2d and 2.5 and 3d) si a growing market as a afordable vfx for a product (tv, commercial, movie)? (compared to heavy 3d)

F what proportion (in %) matte paiting take of the gobal vfx market ?

Thank you for your help and time. Of course, if you know any link to an article or a reference i could use, just tell me. Feel free to add any coment you want to complete these informations, or if you feel some question are unclear.

cheers

thomas

JJASSO
05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
well this is not easy to answer , most of the matte painters are centered in the US , but just talking for instance , me I 've done lotos of comercials and local films but this flow of work will never be equal than US enterntainment industry.

but anyway I'm answering this , hope this helps in anyway because I don't understand about what proportion related with what ? on each question

A :20%
B :60%
C :50%
D :80%
E :100%
F :30%

tharmine
05-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Thank you James. The proportion i mean is related to all the matte work you do, so f.ex i understand from your answer that half of your matte painting work is 2.5d.
Question D, i meant, of all matte painting you have done (100%), how many print, tv, etc, like print 20%, tv 40%, ...

Sorry if i am unclear, should rethink the questions..

Thanks anyway, i hope more professional will answer in order to have a better overview.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2007, 08:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.