PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Students, in need of decent animations for nonprofit cause

Sidologist
05-02-2007, 01:27 AM
A Partner and I are taking an independant study course in school studying 3Ds Max, the entire semester we have been working on a sci-fi short film and have gotten pretty decent results. We had about 5 minutes of animation completed, unfortunatly the server space our files were stored on were wiped by the Tech department at our school, because we had, "Files that break computer use policy" IE. An few unlicensed music tracks for BGM. They cannot recover our files, any of them.

What's worse than this is that our sponser still expects us to come up with SOMETHING in a week or so for a showcase for the Career and technical Education department to show what we've done.

So here I am, desperatly seeking anything, from small little 15 second clips, to preferably about a 3-5 minute decent looking short movie. Nothing too amazinglook looking though because we have only been self teaching ourselves for two years. Anything someone has just sitting around in their computer will work. A .max or maya file to go along with the movie would be very nice too, but not completly neccessary, just so I can demonsrate how to do all of this.

This is a completly non-profit cause, and just for the sake of getting a C or B instead of an F. If inquired we will give all credit to the original creator, we are just in a corner, and with all of our entire animation history deleted we have absolutly nothing to show for our hard work.

Please give an upload link for the file or send it to
sidologist@gmail.com
or
zeb.n.jones@gmail.com

Thank you in advance.

-Rion Pantos

wotanist
05-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Maybe you could just download models or scenes and then animate them over the week since you say you just need to do 'something'. When you state here in the forum that your intention is to use another artist's work to gain grades in your class, I don't see how you're going to give him/her credit.

I clicked on the link to see what kind of non-profit "cause" would need animations done but I now see what you meant.

jedijrmax
05-10-2007, 02:10 AM
However your situation ends up turning out, this is one lesson learned the hard way. Unfortunately, it's a lesson that everyone needs to learn as they move forward in any career involving computers.

Your work, at all times, must be backed up, completely, in several places.

Everyone I've ever seen keeps all of their files in only one place.... until something like this happens. It sucks big time, but if nothing else, at least you can move forward with this all in mind.

I always ask myself when I'm working on anything- or especially short films which can result in thousands of files- if my computer were to never turn on again, would I be truly screwed? If my web server were to be fried- do I know for a fact that they have everything backed up? Is there anything I can do to back it up?

Also, as crazy as it may sound- and perhaps I'm on the extreme end of it- but in addition to constantly saving my work onto two separate hard drives and then every two hours or so, uploading it all to webspace- at the end of the day, I also burn everything to 2 cds/dvds. One to keep in my house, and one to keep elsewhere. Then, I put as much as I can- my most valued stuff onto a flash drive which I carry about with me at all times.

It sounds crazy and overdone for sure- but I'd rather spend an extra 30 minutes each day ensuring the work I've done is 100% safe than, spending 30 minutes being in a state of panic when I found out that all of my work is lost- and then I'm sure endless meetings/phone calls to try to see if I can somehow get the work back ...etc...

You get the idea.

I feel for you though! I know what that is like!

OneSharpMarble
05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
You have been self teaching for two years yet you have only two posts on this site which is probably the biggest hub for cg artists on the net. And you just joined this week so you can't claim you were lurking.

This sounds like a scam big time, anyone reading this if you send them your Maya files expect the worst.

ErikSvensson
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Well then its our grades, not your C. Honestly, I hope no one will help you getting better grades, instead, tell them the truth. In the end, that pays off, or you might end up caught with someone elses material and get no grade at all, then an F is even better than no ending degree.

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.