PDA

View Full Version : Another HARDWARE, Needs your Suggestion.

hamed
03-13-2003, 06:30 AM
Hi All,

Here is the new system that I'm planing to purchase, the vendor
also suggest me the same.

Applications: Lightwave 7,7.5 / 3D Studio MAX 5 / 5.5
Photoshop and Game.

Mainboard: WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro
NVIDIA nForce2-ST(nForce2 SPP + nForce2 MCP-T)
CPU Bus Frequency range: 200 to 333MHz (DDR)
Supports 3 184 -pin DIMM sockets for DDR -SDRAM module
(PC2100, PC2700, PC3200)

CPU: Because my budget is really limit, at this level I decided to
purchase Athlon XP 2000+ and after a year Athlon XP 3000+,
so my CPU: Athlon XP 2000+

Heatsink+Fan: Coolermaster CP5-6J31C-A4 (60 x 80 mm)
or Coolermaster SP5-6G31C-A1.
Unfortunetely here I cant find SLK 800 or 900 or SK7 or AX7.
Very Bad News For me. :hmm:

Graphic: Redeon 9700 Pro, 128 MB DDR.

Ram: 512 MB , Pc2700. Kingston

H.D.D: 80G WD,

Power supply: Enermax 400 Watt

Please let me know your idea, suggestion also.

Waiting to hearing from you.

Thanks

Sieb
03-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Spec wise, Looks good to me. Just make sure you have a case with good ventalation (more than two fans) I haven't looked much into the Leadtek boards though. And I am not sure about the Radeon for 3d work, I have heard good and bad about their drivers and 3d app support. And it seems kinda wrong to put an ATI card on an Nvidia board, hehe..

And I would spend a few more bucks for a HSF with a little more umph in it.. Unless you have a good case, with all that 3d work, that dinkey fan won't cut it (at least I wouldn't trust it), especially if your going to upgrade later on. "Can't find" isn't a good excuse when it comes to keeping your processor cool. NewEgg.com can hook you up, if anything, an SK6 will cover you, its tried and true. I would stay away from AX7, I haven't had good performance with it compared to its size. I removed it from our lineup and replaced it with the SLK800.

GregHess
03-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Quite comments to your list.

1) Coolermaster Heatsink. The particular model you mentioned is a bit on the "weak" side. Consider going with a thermalright SLK800 as sieb mentioned, with a low-medium rpm 80mm fan. (The heatsink doesn't come with a fan).

And yes its more expensive, but you won't need to upgrade your cooling in a year when you jump to the 3000+ or 4000+. With the coolermaster, you'll have to. Alumnium heatsinks are definitly out as far as high performance cooling goes. (The heatsinks you posted are alumnium with copper bases).

Ah just saw you can't find the thermalrights. You know you can import them from other countries. Costs a bit more but its still worth it. Otherwise start looking for other solutions from thermaltake, or other cooling vendors in your area. Can you list some?

2) Radeon 9700 pro. This is a great card..for GAMES. The instant you mention a cg application (especially 3dsmax) it falls flat on its face. If your going to be running a multitask system (games, apps, cg, etc) stick with nvidia cards. A ti 4200 or higher gf4 will run great. Spend the money you save on the video card on a faster cpu, or more ram.

3) Make sure the 80 gig drive is a special edition. WD800JB. The normal drives only have 1 year warranties.

4) Try and get faster ram then PC2700. With the announced support of 400 FSB Barton's, the NForce2 boards wil require PC3200 DDR to make full use of the new FSB (If your running just a single dimm). Something to think about if your considering upgrading later.

5) Also look into antec truepower supplies if their available in your area. I just had to replace an enermax due to fluxin voltages. (1 out of 40)

cowfez
03-13-2003, 08:19 PM
I have similar questions:

What do you consider to be the top CPU/mobo combo?
Is 512MB rimm4200 enough for serious 3d work?
Video card: Price vs. performance, what is the best value.
Ever heard of Vpr Matrix 17" 1600x1200@75hz?

Thanks for hearing me out.

GregHess
03-13-2003, 09:03 PM
What do you consider to be the top CPU/mobo combo?
Is 512MB rimm4200 enough for serious 3d work?
Video card: Price vs. performance, what is the best value.
Ever heard of Vpr Matrix 17" 1600x1200@75hz?

Best bang for the buck...

Nforce2 Motherboard + 2700+ XP.

or

E7205 Motherboard + 2.66B P4

Memory for the Nforce2 board would be 2 dimms of PC3200 DDR.

Memory for the E7205 would be 2 dimms of PC2100 DDR.

Rimm, or Rambus memory, is obsolete and chipsets making use of it are no longer in mainstream production. (I assume you mean dimm)

Never heard of a vpr matrix.

cowfez
03-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Signal2Noise
03-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by cowfez
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hell, we have nothing better to do other than sit at our CG sytems waiting for that next big contract to come in...:p

I was going to offer advice but the others beat me to it and it's pretty solid. Good luck!

hamed
03-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Thank you very much , Greg and Sieb

Very helpful note. But could you please let me know more about performance of WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro, Differents of this board with Asus A7N8X. although that Board is not suitable for my budget, But would like to know your story about WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro? It seems that WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro (Leadtek) is not very well know in Mainboard market, Hence is not a very trustable board. Please advise? Is there any board except A7N8X, better than WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro and also same price with WinFast? How about MSI K7N2 (MS-6570)?

Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18D-Pro Information Link:
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/motherboard/winfast_k7ncr18dpro_2.html

As Regards as Heatsink, Greg - I cant import SLK800.
Is there any site that sells Computer Components on-line via credit card whole the world? Please give me your idea about: Thermaltake Volcano 6.

Ok, I will purchase Kingston DDR400=PC3200 (In a Single Dimm) for better performance
And My idea for Graphic Card will be GF3 500. Cant purchase ti4200.

Thanks again and looking for your cool comments.

Best Wishes.

GregHess
03-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Why can't you purchase a geforce4 ti 4200? A 4400 or 4600 would still be fine. I can't believe you'd have access to a 9700 pro radeon (which is realitively new) and not a ti 4200???

I don't have experience with the leadtek board. I trust asus, and I have experience with the asus nforce2 boards. Their stable and hella fast.

Don't know about the heatsink, sounds old though (version 9 is the latest). Have to read up on it.

Sieb
03-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Where are you exactly that restricts you from getting certain components?

Seems odd you can get a 9700 but not a GF4 class card..

Leadtek boards should be acceptable, their video cards are accepted mainstream. From what I have read so far, its a fairly good contenter, you should be pleased.

Here is a review from AMDMB.

http://amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=212

Also, look into maybe getting twin sticks of 256 DDR instead of one, that will get you the extra umph out of the Dual Channel ability of the board and should be a bit cheaper than one stick of 512.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.