PDA

View Full Version : My first Demo Reel

Dimich
05-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey guys, I've just graduated from Humber College in Toronto and here is my demo reel I've done within the last semester (4 months that is). Please, any crits and comments are more then welcome! Thnx in advance:)

Demo Reel (http://www.davidemirzian.com/dkachkovski/kachkovski_dimitry_demoreel.mov)

EricDLegare
05-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Nice, this feels a lot PaulNealised :P

This is your first ? no way :D

Only crit would be that some shots are REALLY REALLY fast... ( likr 10-20% too fast for me at some moments )

EricDLegare
05-02-2007, 12:43 AM
But still, it's that kind of demo that I will keep watching a couple of times :P

EricDLegare
05-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Well, watching it again I'd say that 00:00:38.13 is funny :scream:

Dimich
05-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Thnx alot:) Yeah it is quite Paul Nealish, and it is my first one:) I owe him most of the inspiration and pretty much all of the knowledge:) He showed me how things work and i took it from there... I script quite a bit as well, but I decided that for now I don't want to put any of the scripts on the demo reel. Its already visible that I did quite a bit of scripting to get things working (especially with the custom IK system and the Car Rig). I am in the process of working on making the custom IK system a Drag and Drop tool with more possibilities and maybe a good UI. Same goes for the car rig, with further physics adjustments. Some other scripts I am going to produce a bit later on... At the moment I am working on getting some mouse tools for rig creation.

Dimich
05-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Lol o yea, the 38th second...:) I had some problems with the render from Premier...I gotta fix that, thnx :)

EricDLegare
05-02-2007, 01:14 AM
He [Paul Neale] showed me how things work and i took it from there...

:D ZOMFG :D Did you studied under Paul Neale directly, or do you mean that you trained using his AWESOME DVDs ? ( Wich I can't wait for the Advanced series, espescially when he said " we'll be dealing with this kind of issue and other issues like skin sliding solutions in the ADVANCED DVDs " )

Dimich
05-02-2007, 02:34 AM
I actually studied under his instruction directly:) One of the best TD's out there:) Skin sliding solutions...hmmm he never told me that yet...wonder what he will introduce for that...so far as I know, SkinFX is the best at that!

Dimich
05-02-2007, 02:37 AM
Did you by any chance work on FarCry?

EricDLegare
05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I actually studied under his instruction directly:) One of the best TD's out there:) Skin sliding solutions...hmmm he never told me that yet...wonder what he will introduce for that...so far as I know, SkinFX is the best at that!

:D :D :D What !!?? Paul Neale teaches at a school ? Is it in Toronto ? ( I'd totally make the trip there to be taught by PAUL NEALE ! :D :D :D

Does your school have a website ? :D

And, I'm curious there, is Paul Canadian too :love: ?

EricDLegare
05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Did you by any chance work on FarCry?

Nope :wise: ...

I worked on a mod wich is FarCry Pandémie, it's a school project made by 69 students in like 3 months :bounce: ...

Still can't beleive that you studied under Paul Neale :scream: !

PEN
05-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Yep, I'm Canadian and I teach at Humber College in Toronto. There were two classes that delt with character rigging but I include technical information into just about ever class. I also make sure that I include MXS when ever possible and work directly with students that are more interested in the technical side of 3D pushing them in directions that they didn't know were possible.

With guys like Dimitry and a couple others we managed to get as far as calcualting matrix values, ray casting, scripted custom attributes, automated rig developement and even got into bezier math. Dimitry was one of the best in the class when it came to the technical and it shows in his reel, he just needs to clean it up;)

BoostAbuse
05-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Reel looks pretty good, some areas were a bit confusing as you fumbled through the viewport, maybe clean it up a tad as Paul mentioned and show just the direction actions and the effects they have. The car rig was neat, the camera just really threw me off some (was hard to see what was going on as the camera shifted away from the central focus, maybe try using a follow-cam?).

Good to see that Paul is passing his knowledge along to up and coming artists, he definitely has tons to share and is one of the most well-versed Max TD's I know and have had the pleasure to work with.

Look forward to seeing more stuff coming out of Humber in the next while ;)

-s

Dimich
05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Thnx for the kind words Paul:) And the crits too:) Yea, what we learned over these 2 years is quite incredible! I wish I had a bit more time to learn some more things from Paul, but I think its about time I started working and learning things on my own... If you are thinking of learning from Paul, Humber offers a great post-graduate diploma program in 3D, you can check out the actual college website here: www.humber.ca (http://www.humber.ca) . Its a 3 semester program, and I think it's going to be getting better and better. We are incredibly lucky to have Paul teaching here, and other teachers are quite amazing too. Definately check it out, if you are thinking of continuing education a bit:) Cheers!!!

Dimich
05-02-2007, 04:18 PM
BoostAbuse: Thanks alot:) Yea, i deffinately need to clean it up... Unfortunately I am in the midst of a completely crazy amount of things happeining at the moment, but I will work on it ASAP:)

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2007, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.