PDA

View Full Version : animated fish

klaila
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
First of all, I'm a newbie to animation, but I have read manuals and done tutorials.

I'm trying to make an animated fish in 3ds max 8 that will be exported and loaded into a real-time C++ application.
I've downloaded a good quality Koi fish mesh (from Toucan.co.jp) and made some ik bones for it, and now I'm trying to skin the mesh.
I applied a skin modifier and added the relevant bones (which are all connected together). Holy cow is it hard to get the weights right.
There are a lot of verticies so the weight table is intimidating - and I've tried using paint-weights which is even more intimidating.

Does anyone have any advice for me on the best way to go about this? If the answer is "hire me", I'll consider that.

Also, I have some pre-skinned fish models that were skinned using Physique ...is physique a better way to go?

This is for a art installation where I want fish swimming in a pond that visitors can interact with. I've made other interactive 3D water installations but never with animated fish.
Eventually I'll need to export the animation from Max and load it into the 3D application for the exhibit - that means only basic bone animation... nothing fancy with Max.

thanks for any help / advice

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.