PDA

View Full Version : premature modeling reel

MrAngeles
05-01-2007, 04:56 PM
hey,

Im trying to get a small job from my local area so I went ahead an put together work done over the past year. Been in the Art Institute of Tampa for a year and a half, critiques are more than welcome.

*edit

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v187/mr_artshow/?action=view&current=modelingreel-1.flv

eschulist
05-02-2007, 12:05 AM
You have some good stuff in there but there are ways to take the same models and present them better. All of your characters are still in their initial state, using a basic rig to pose your characters and creatures can really add life to them. Some of the lighting looked fairly flat, adding 3 point lighting with some color variation can really make the forms pop.

For your intro I'd do away with the spinning 3D logo for your name, its really weak and is the first thing employers see.

}-{obbes
05-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Whenever you're doing a turntable display NEVER EVER have one side in full blown dark shadows. Whats the point of having a model spin to try and show it of.....if they cant see it....

Remove the flying name, no one cares about flying logos, remember the people watching this have 100 other videos to watch, they'd likely turn yours off after waiting 10 seconds for the flying name to go away. At the beginning, put a simple name and contact info, then maybe keep a name in 1 corner and email in another rather small but maybe not even that.

Try and get in tighter on the characters, having background means less of your model you're going to show, and when you're moving to wireframe, when its pushed so far back.
If possible, get someone to rig and animate the characters, nothing complicated, just something to fit their style to put after the turntable, like a character sitting, walking or something, just to show that the model deforms correctly and to show you know what you're doing in terms of poly placement (quite a nightmare to get a model to rig to find it a deformation mess....).

Booyah
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree with everything the others are saying, just wanted to add that when you show a wire frame of your character don't show the smoothed version of it always the low poly.

MrAngeles
05-07-2007, 06:20 PM
thank you so much for your responces, i value them very much. I dont really get that kind of feedback at school, although quality of presentation has been mention many times. I didn't think too much of it because this was a quick compilation. I will carry this reel to the WIP section and improve on it. and take your suggestions into serious consideration.

I'm in the middle of Character Rigging, so i got the basic fundamentals down. i already have some ideas for posing so i'll get to it. The logo is definitly gone, it was a small in class assignment and I added it to the reel. I'll definitly give it a better lighting impresion, perhaps with color to convey mood. another idea i had was to have an overlay graphic for presentation for each model to display polycount and time spent.

again thank you so much for taking your time to asses my work.

-G Angeles

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2007, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.