PDA

View Full Version : Rigging DVDs

Doogie
03-13-2003, 03:42 AM
Ive learned quite a bit of rigging, made a few basic to less basic rigs for some of my personal animations. Now im looking for examples and ways to improve what ive done. Which of these DVDs would be a better purchase?

Maya Techniques | Integrating a Creature Animation Rig within a Production Pipeline

Maya Techniques | Fast Animation Rigs

or would it be more worth my money to get some books? if so what?

Im a real big fan of JSchleifer, but i dont want to drop all that money on a dvd if I cant get the best use of it.

MosaFacku
03-14-2003, 02:52 AM
hey, another full sail grad! :)

i got:

Maya Techniques | Integrating a Creature Animation Rig within a Production Pipeline

watching this dvd was kind of like taking the more interesting parts of maraffi's class all over again. this is the lecture maraffi seems to have based his rig after as far as the stretchy back with color warnings goes.

the dvd is packed with all sorts of good info, but it wasn't really the best dvd i should have picked up, since i was right out of school when i got it. fortunately for me, the studio i ended up working at used a very similar method to what jason describes in the dvds.

i'm interested in checking out the other dvd u mention. after listening to him lecture and watching his tape, i think that jason is a really good teacher, so i'm sure that the fast animation rigs dvd has loads of usefull stuff.

yah, they cost a lot of money, and are relatively short, but for me, i pick things up faster watching someone do something as opposed to reading about it.

tropistic
03-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Jason's DVDs really are good. I'm liking the new one even more than the first, but I'm glad to have both.

And I agree, Jason's quite a good teacher. But don't forget the 80 page pdfs on both DVDs - they're very helpful to read after watching, reinforcing what you've learned. Plus lots of cool scripts.

Can't say enough good stuff about em.

Jay

Lunatique
03-14-2003, 05:31 AM
I have all of them.

The rigging book from A/W is good for learning as a newbie, or for people that want to learn a few new tricks and workflow improvements.

Jason's DVD's are for the advanced user.

Doogie
03-14-2003, 07:25 AM
which DVD is the newer one?

MosaFacku
03-14-2003, 07:45 AM
i think the fast rigging for animation is newer.

LucentDreams
04-08-2003, 06:38 PM
fast rigging is awesome, I don't have the first one, but fast rigging has helped me a lot, and I don't use maya at all.

Zappa
04-11-2003, 08:46 AM
HeY!Kaiskai,
Is Fast Rigging also by Jason Schleifer? I got to watch his first DVD
Maya Techniques | Integrating a Creature Animation Rig within a Production Pipeline....it had some very intresting info...however it was intented more for TDs than newbe animators.

Is fast rigging like the previous one?...any info would be helpful.

:wavey:

If jason gets to read this.....i would be very happy to see a DVD from you aimed at rigging/animating beginners like myself...maybe like a 2DVD set that goes from basics (on the first DVD) to advanced rigging on the II nd....with the option of buying each one seperately too.....or is that asking for too much? :drool:

Cheers :beer:

Zappa

Doogie
04-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Fast Rigging the second DVD of his, it is by Jason. I wouldnt say it was ment exclusively for TDs, but it wasnt ment for noobs either.

There are plenty of resources that can get you to the level of using Jasons DVDs quite quickly. Also, anyone on this board is willing to help ya through any stumbles, because there's quite a few ppl with both DVDs.

Here's some begining rigging resources I have found helpfull in the past.

- Complete Rigging Tut http://www.spatiallight.net/tutorialsPage/jointTut.html
- Character Setup things to keep in mind http://www.anticz.com/puppets.htm
- A great collection of video tuts where they model and rig a character http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/maya/index_neex.htm
- As most people know, this place has many, many Video Tutorials http://www.3dbuzz.com/

Hope this is a good start!

nottoshabi
04-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey guyz I have a question for all you fello riggers. How do you rotateY a ik spline character's hips? Cause I cant figure this out, I have asked this question to a lot of people and no one new, maybe one of you guyz that have the dvd's could answer this.

Doogie
04-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Yeah, i think Jason forgot to mention an orient constraint on the DVD. Here's how i did it..
[list=1]
Do your normal splineIK. Make clusters, parent them to curves.
draw three joints starting at the base of the spine, continuing at the neck, and one more towards the head
make an IK, on the new joints, in the same direction. Starting at the hip, ending at the neck (first and second joint)
parent the joints under the hip curve.
orient constrain the (newly made)top joint to the shoulder curve (using Jason's script)
finally, connect the twist of the splikeIK to the rotate on the shoulder curve
[/list=1]

I wrote this quick and from memory. If ya need better instructions, just ask and I'll write them out as I do them.

Hope this helps!

nottoshabi
04-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Ok thanks I will try, but what is Jason's script for that?

nottoshabi
04-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok Doogie. I have tried that allready, and that rotates the sholder. I have that rotation, I need the hips to rotate individual to the rest of the spine. Just a rotation an the Y axis from the hips.

Doogie
04-12-2003, 03:07 AM
here's my rig (http://www.paulfranz.com/Forums/blacksmithDemo.zip) w/ it, is that what your looking for?

A normal spline IK, attaching the twist to the rotY of the ctrl curve will make the shoulders (not waist) rotate. The second set of joints (mentioned in the last post) are just for getting the waist to rotate separately. I'll post a more in depth explination and explain what each script does when i get the time (I.E. not on a friday night :p )

I won't post the whole explination is Jason asks me not to (if i post a complete explination, then whats the point of buying the DVD?). Hopefully he has time to read this thread. And either way ill explain what the scirpts do.

peace

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.