PDA

View Full Version : Texture Methods

Adder
03-13-2003, 03:25 AM
Hi what do you guys think about using photos in your skins?
Do you prefer to 100% hand paint your maps or do you like to use photos as a base or overlays?

I ask this as me and a friend was talking about it and i like to use photos (cos i suk at hand drawn skins) and he likes to hand paint his stuff and was wondering what the rest on you guys prefer to do and why.

look forward to hearing your thoughts.

adder

Beroc-LOD
03-13-2003, 03:31 AM
Um, personally, I think you answered your own question.... Me.... I like to make my own skins. In some cases, I will use a pre-skin which you can equate to using real world textures.... It depends on your perspective. However though, that is only a base for me, I generally put alot of hand work into everything. Haveing good drawing skills is a must for a good skinner. Best thing I can say to you is.... Practice, Practice, Practice.

Perhaps you can post some comparative skins you guys produced, and see what the response is.

KoS
03-13-2003, 03:45 AM
i dont like textures made from photographs because in many cases you lose detail(that i have seen anyway) or you get some effects that make the texture look odd in game

using parts of a high res photo such as metal and then adding effects to it in photoshop is ok, but when it comes to straight photographs from real life ive never liked the results =\

caustic
03-13-2003, 08:51 AM
Im a big fan of hand painted, photo sourcing looks cheap unless you get very good quality pics.
I also think its kinda cheating but thats because I hate losing jobs to guys who photosource. :P

With that aside, why texture a brick wall when you can photograph one, it depends mostly on the project, but for most things I think hand painted is best.

DaKrunch
03-13-2003, 09:56 AM
i totally agree with the others.
Best skins are painted by hand...
anyway photographs are useful for inspirations and sometimes to make some (small) parts of more complex skins.
personally i always go around with my old camera to take pictures... u never know they might be useful one day!
cya :wavey:

kleinluka
03-13-2003, 03:02 PM
for skins i clearly prefer hand painted stuff. as for map textures the best deal is prolly a mix of both.

another method i use is taking shapes from photos and repainting them from scratch. this way i don't have to waste hours getting the shapes (e.g. cobblestones) look right but can directly move on to the "fun part".

here's a small example i did:

http://users.invasionworks.com/~klein/evolution.gif

KazuyaMochu
03-14-2003, 01:55 AM
I my opinion, you should resort to photos, but in a referenc way, like going for a color palete, or for a light referece, stuff like that

for example, if you are looking to use photos to make human or character skins... its hard.basicly becouse they wont adapt to every situation. for example, try to take photographs of an arm, and using it to texture a model.

its a bit hard, you'll see
but you can still use it for palet references.

as for vehicles and building, you can allways overlay textures to give a more realistic look, like many of the textures pac on the eab that you can use to add dirt to a surface, age metal, create floor tiles, etc.

it a matter of situation.

but theres nothing like good drawing abilities...
that will help alot
plus a good eye
a good critic eye is also a good tool

that's as much as I could say.

hope it helps.

Kazuya Mochu

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.