PDA

View Full Version : My first TD Demo reel

Dimich
05-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Hey everyone:) I have just graduated from Humber College in Toronto, and thanks to a good friend of mine, I got some web space to display my reel. All the work on the reel was done in the last 4 months. Any C&C is very very welcome:) Enjoy!

Demo Reel (http://www.davidemirzian.com/dkachkovski/kachkovski_dimitry_demoreel.mov)

Dimich
05-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Is there really no crits and comments? Any ideas would really be great! Especially from all the pros out there! Thnx:)

akisey
05-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Well I'm not that much of a pro, but I need to say I'm very impressed by your rigging skills.
I also wonder how you did that last thing, keeping the wheels of your car sticked to the ground. Can I ask you to explain in a few words how you did that? That would help me a lot and sprare myself a lot of time and coffee :)

AKiSeY

RenisanceX
05-02-2007, 12:04 PM
HeyGood news is you have excellent rigs and work. Bad news is don't take it personal but you have nothing special. Im not a real rigger by any means i just mess around but thats my one observation. Hope it helps

Also you need to edit your reel better its to long especially on the car shot. Get in close show it going up the hill once or twice we don't need to see it three times.

Also whats the track your using i like it very much

Good work overall and Goodluck

fanger
05-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey Dimich...nice reel...like it. The controls seem to be apt an' not over done (which is usually the case;-) )...cheers...

Dimich
05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks a lot everyone!

akisey: The car wheels stick to the ground using rays and ray intersects. I shoot rays at the ground plane, create intersect rays, and using the intersect ray vector I build a transform matrix that follows the level and all the bumps on the ground:)

RenisanceX: Thanks for the comment, I actually appreciate it very much:) Good harsh critique is what pushes me further. Unfortunately in regards to things being original I did not have much time to think of anything since all of this was done within 4 months and I've been working with 3D only 2 years in total. These rigs were the first sets of more or less complex rigs. Hopefully in the next couple of years I will have a bit more to show as I am actually going to work on real projects. I simply never ran into any problems that needed a completely new solution, and thats what I am really after:D And the music is actually a mix by my friend Dj Wilde. You can also look up Hostile Minds, they are quite amazing! If you can suggest me some interesting ideas, i'll be glad to take on them. Actually, now to think of it, there is only one original thing you probably didn't see on most reels: the IK system that I built for the tail of the first character is not the one that is built into max. It is actually completely scripted and based on the mathmatical functions of a bezier curve. I used the mathematical equations, through them into maxscript, and made it work:)

fanger: thnx man:)

RenisanceX
05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
No problem i was not trying to come off asshole- ish in any way just tyring to help a fellow artist.

In terms of originality it hard to have that but maybe some kind of crazy overlapping system for the tails on the first and the 3rd guy i think which is swimming.

Ehhem when i say originality i do not mean any idea never seen before, just something that sets you aaprt from a person who could pick up a dvd today and do those riggs sometime next week by just following the dvds does that make sense?

Try searching through this forum for the rigging reels that got a good number of stars

Thnx for tip on the music bro :)

Dimich
05-02-2007, 06:21 PM
no problem man:) Never took any offence:) In regards to DVD's, the things like the IK tail system, the swimming monster, and the car rig are not really found on too many DVD's:) As far as I am concerned, the car rig was introduced by Paul Neale at last year's Siggraph at the Master Class for rigging:)

diaaking
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
nice reel :thumbsup: gooooo a head

Radiospank
05-03-2007, 06:57 AM
wow i really like the dynamic tail rig setup.... although like rennassance said.. anyone could pick up a dvd.... i still think it takes some skill to perform what u have here... ive seen basic riggin reels and they are working .. so big ups to them and you my friend

futurcraft
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey Dimich...!

Nice reel you have in here..! I rarely come across good rigging reels in 3D studio max.. I guess you could work on some auto-rigging scripts too using Max-script cause I feel that scripting too is one of the major requirements when it comes to rigging TD reels...

Wish you all the best n good work...!!

Nikhil.

Dimich
05-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Thnx everyone!

futurcraft: Yea, scripting is a huge thing for TD's, and in fact i script quite a bit:) The set up for the custom IK system is a fully scripted controller based on bezier curve function. As well I have written many little tools for Max, such as Tail whip tool (i'll be posting it shortly on my Web site), and some other rigging tools. In regards the automated rigging scripts, I think I will wrtie one very very soon because simply I will have to:) I am also currently in the progress of writing a mo-cap recognition script that uses TRC data and will be used to assign mo-cap data to my custom rigs.

lildragon
05-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Descent reel that may get you hired. Reason I said may is because you have potential. Ok here's a short list

- The first thing that dissappointed me was the lack of skinned characters (well except the female) A complex rig is useless if it can't deform a character well, and seeing the segmented characters kinda puts me off some

- You're not really demonstrating the range of motions a rig will need in production. It's absolutely essential that your rig doesn't snap when an animator pulls it beyond intended limits (and they do trust me, unless you set them). Moving bits and pieces of a rig doesn't tell me anything, I want to see this thing in full motion, everything going in tandem. Because good animators WILL push your rig to the limits.

- Your 2nd character should be first, it's definitely the most dynamic of the bunch, it's actually moving!

- Your tail rig on the 2nd beast crashes bigtime and you showed it!. NO! Don't show that lol leave it out or fix it! :)

- The 3rd character is ok, but get an animator to animate the face with your control setup

- the deformations need work on the 3rd character also, especially when moving the shoulder

- Better compression! The text was totally lost throughout and made watching the custom UI portion difficult, cause I couldn't read what you were doing, and had to "guess" and you don't want that. Make it VERY clear and consise.

- With the car, it's defintely to long, but also you show penetrations with the back and front wheels at the beginning... lose that. The sticky wheels are nice tho :thumbsup:

Hope this is of some help man, you got some work ahead of you, but if you want it bad enough... you know the rest ;)

Take care,

~t

Dimich
05-03-2007, 03:50 PM
lildragon: Thanks alot:) Really! This is what I was really after: some serious critique and things I need to work on. Unfortunately this is all I could have done so far since I had to complete this as a 4 month project for my final piece at college. In regards of the skinning: DEFFINATELY:) I simply did not have enough time to do it all, but thats something that lies ahead of me. The problems with the rigs: yea, there are issues, thanks alot for pointing them out:) I am deffinately going to go over these issues, and fix them up. The Dynamic Tail rig doesn't really crash, as far as I know, but if you saw something, i'd really appreciate you pointing out what you meant, so that I can have a look for myself. I seriously DO need a lot of work on the composition of the Reel itself, and yes, I will have that taken care of, thanks again for pointing it out:) Once again a HUGE thanks for all the critique, and thankfully so far I did land a job with Crytek, so some more serious and interesting work for my future reel is going to be on t's way:)

Cheers

tokaru
05-04-2007, 07:53 AM
very impresive reel dude i like the controls and the tail was awesome .

windarr
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi Dimich, one thing I though I'd point out to hopefully help improve; is to try freezing the action for a second or two when your text pops up so that we can read what is going on and then start up the action again (make sure that music keeps playing though :)). I say this because I found myself taking my eyes away from the action too long to read the text and felt like I wanted to rewind the reel each time (so it is a bit distracting). I think it would play better for your future job seeking with a pause each time. Keep in mind I'm not a character TD, but it seems like this would be a help on your reel presentation-wise.

Congrats on landing the job though, seems like it must have worked as is :applause: .

Onslaught_2000
09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Dimich i really like your rigs. I'm trying to rig a model i'm working on, but i ran into some problems while using the cg academy rigging dvd tuts. From what i saw from your demo reel it looks like you went through the same dvds to learn how to rig. I was wondering if you can help me with a probelm in the rigging setup from the dvd. It has to do with reaction control. From the dvds the guys is working in max6, but i have max8 and the reaction controller is set up diffrently. I am hoping you can have me get around it, because it is the only thing holding me back from completing my rig. I hope you replay to this soon i can really use the help.

RhythmOfLine
09-01-2007, 11:03 PM
very impressive reel...great rigging skills. just one thing, keep the reel moving on, it seems kinda long and drawn out. you just need to edit it better.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Dimich
09-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Hey guys, thanks a lot about the responses:) It was a while since I posted anything here, been very busy at work...

Onslaught_2000: Hey, I did use the DVDs but in fact was even luckier as Paul Neale actually taught me in college. I went to Humber College in Toronto, Canada. He is actually a full time faculty there, if you are thinking of actually studying seriously with him, check the place out, he is not just an awsome TD but a great teacher. Now in regards to the reaction manager (I think that's what you meant), describe the problem to me, and I'll help you out the best I can.

Glad that you liked my reel, guys, and I do know that it needs much more touching up, but as it was being post-edited at the end of my semester, I also had to get ready to move to work to Germany, so the time was truly chaotic. I have done some really cool new stuff now at work, and as I will hopefully get a bit more free time on my hands, I want to start developing some new more interesting ideas. Btw, if you guys have maybe some interesting suggestions, I'd be glad to take note of them, as I like to work with a given problem, rather then trying to create one of my own.

Cheers!!!

Onslaught_2000
09-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Dimich thanks but i live in NY so it will be a bit hard to get Paul Neale to teach me in person. My problem is i dont understand the interface for reaction manager max 8. In the dvd he worked on reaction manager float controler interface which had a window for ever part you wanted to add a float controler to. But in max 8 you only have 1 window, and i have a hard time getting it to work like it does in max 6. If you know how to add a float controller to more than 1 bones using max 8 single float controller window please tell me.

Dimich
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Seems I am still not quite clear about what you need. The reaction controller on an object is what defines the objects reaction to a master. Once you have assigned that controller to some object, it appears in the reaction manager. You can go there and you will see:

- Unassigned
"your_object"/"The_controller_that_you_assigned"

The unassigned is your master. To assign one, just right-click on the unassigned and choose "replace master". Once you click on the object you want to use, a floating rollout will pop-up, and you will need to select which controller on that object is going to be the master controller. Now as that is done, you will note that in the lower part of the reaction manager you just got state01. Thats the initial state of you reaction. To edit it just click on "Edit Mode". To add a second reaction state click on the arrow down with the yellow star. That will add a new state. Select the new state and click edit mode. Now you can set the masters position that you desire, then select your object and set its desired position. Now click the plain black arrow that says "Set state" and you got yourself a reaction:)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Onslaught_2000
09-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Dimich sorry for my lack of being able to explain my problem. I dont know much about it so it is hard to explain it if you have not seen the dvd. But i think what you told me may be able to help me with my problem i will give it a try, and see if i am able to get it to work correctly. If i dont i will try to post some screen shots from the video on what i'm trying to do. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me.

feldy
09-02-2007, 05:47 PM
hey you should put at the start of this chacter td you have td and this is two differnt things. the fact that you say td at all makes me think you can script and write tools not just rig a chacter. the first sign of anyscripting i saw was at the end right before the car shot came up you showed the character gui you made however you may have seen that off a dvd somewere who knows. I have people at work who can do everything you just did and more and that does not make them a td that makes them a rigger. and maybe you can write script very well and make very effecint tools that artist can use but i have not seen that anywere in your demo i am sorry. the reel is nice for a rigging demo but not as a td i feel. and as a rigger you can rig i have no doubt i see it very well, but have you had an animator sit down and try to use your rigs and test differnt things and see if its a fun easy rig to anaimtate with? its all about saveing time and if your rig is super hard to use then the shot will be that much harder to complete thus costing who ever more and more money. thats my take. i just responded to this one after seeing someone else's demo stealing someones work. so i am sorry if i have a bad taste in my mouth and taking it out on you. -Jeremy

feldy
09-02-2007, 05:51 PM
bad editing also dude you can totaly seen the blending of camstatisa studio in the back ground lol fix that stuff!!! before you ever send to an empolyer.

Dimich
09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
feldy: already sent it, and am working for the past 4 months after being hired. Thanks for the response, yet there is no need to let things out. I am a Technical Artist/Character TD. The car that you saw is a rigid body object that uses only scripted assets to make it work. Also I have done other scripts, but didn't have time to finish them now. Currently working here at Crytek I developed other tools, but untill we finish the production I cannot release them. Besides rigging I also work alot with the game engine where I point out and search for solutions to technical problems and bugs within the engine. Not coding yet, but it's in my future plans. Now if you think I stole other ppls work, plz, I can put Paul Neale as my reference who will verify that all my work was done by me, and it was under his guidance. I already stated about the editing earlier in the posts.

Cheers.

feldy
09-02-2007, 08:40 PM
i never said you stole anything i said i was looking for tools and scripts ect. and in anycase nice job on findind a job there they have been doing great work.

Dimich
09-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks. A lot of sweat and blood:) When it's like that, it better be good stuff, other wise we worked so hard for nothing...

Onslaught_2000
09-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Dimich thanks for the help i was able ot get alot feather that i was the first time around.

marciowski
09-03-2007, 02:47 AM
I like your reel, man.
Nice thatīs Max. I hope you get a very good job and keep developing nice rigs.

Good luck

Onslaught_2000
09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Dimich i need your help with a new problem i have with the rig i'm working on. I did what you told me and, i was able to get pass the problem area on the learning dvd. But i saved my work and restart my pc i was un able to open the reaction mamager setting window. I keep reaciveing an error along with a sctipt. If you ran into this probelm can you tell me what i can do to fix it, because if i cant reopen the reaction manager window i wll not be able to complete the rig, because i still need to work on the arm, and hands. I hope i hear from you soon.

Dimich
09-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Ouch! Looks like your file is screwed:S I really have no clue how to fix that. I would say send me the file, but i'm affraid I have no time to look at it at this moment. Post it on the max forum. Maybe someone there has an answer. Let me know if you find out.

Onslaught_2000
09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Dimich thanks for answering back i wished you had the time to help me with this, because most of the people i know who use max does not use reaction manager so i dont think i would get any help. I had post a request for help when i first ran into the problem using reaction manager in the max part of the fourm, but on one was able to help me. I also went to some chat rooms where alot of 3dmx guys knew how ot set up rigs, and do animation, but ost of them did not use reaction manager to setup there rigs. You are the only person i know how learned form the guy who did the dvd so you are my only hope i know of to help me with this problem. I guess i may never complete this rig, because i'm running into som much problems trying to finish it. Thanks for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.