PDA

View Full Version : Footprints in Moss? (Max 8)

Coll
04-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm looking for a way to have a plane deform automatically when a character's foot comes into contact with it, giving the impression that the plane is made from a soft material (like moss). So far I've been using the Push modifier, controlled by a Vol. Select on the character.

The only problem it that it doesn't give quite the effect I'm looking for, due to the nature of the modifiers. Does anyone have any alternate ideas?

djlane
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
I did something similar, in my version the push value was driven by the amount the foot object had penetrated into the floor object.

That way the foot did not affect the floor mesh until it passed through the floor faces, automatically increasing the push value the deeper the foot passed into the floor. Without doing that I found that push would pop the floor mesh.

Cheers

Dan

Coll
05-03-2007, 10:17 PM
That's exactly what I need. How did you set it up?

djlane
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Sorry for late reply, I coulnt find my original file so i mocked up this scene to show how it works. There are 2 objects which track over the surface of the floor but always under the foot object. As soon as the foot hits the floor they seperate 1 sticks on the surface one locks to the foot, i used the expose transform helper to measure the seperation distance, then pumped this value into the push modifier via param wire. To get around a dependancy loop I had to have 2 floor objects, 1 for the tracking objects to stick to and one to get the push modifier .The tracking objects are driven by script controllers,

My original file was slightly more complicated to handle the depth the toe and heel penetrated the floor. i did this setup awhile ago so there maybe better ways to do this.

Cheers

Dan

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2007, 10:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.