PDA

View Full Version : Modelling a Hidden Cove Beach

Creation255
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey Everyone,
Need a bit of help I'm trying to model a small beach in a hidden cove and I'm having loads of trouble creating the terrain with the cove and surrounding land. I created various displacment maps in photoshop but none of them look right. I tried using DEMS to create the terrain but I cant get anything with and decent detail in it. Anyone have any ideas how I could do this ?
Or better still a displacment map that I could use

Cheers
Adam

scrimski
04-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Which program?

Creation255
04-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I have Max and Maya available to use.

scrimski
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
You need 2 displacements - one for the DEMs to block out the rough structure and a second one to create details. The problem with displacemnts is that they need a dense mesh to make the smaller details visible at all. My choice would be to apply the second displacment not in a modifier(for 3dsMax, don't know Maya) but in the displacement map channel and more fine details in the bump channel.

Pete Draper has described this in his book "Deconstructing the Elements" and has an example on his website if I remember right.

www.xenomorphic.co.uk

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.