PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Attributes Query

Global
04-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know the difference between connecting the 'rotate' attr over connecting the three rx, ry, rz attrs individually?

I just had some problems with an arm rig freaking out, which was solved by connecting the rotate attrs individually... just wondering why that was.

Thanks in advance.

JamSession
04-30-2007, 12:06 PM
What are you trying to connect?

And what do you mean by freak out? As in double transforms, rotations don't match up?

It could be that your driver doesn't have the same orientation as the slave or the rotation order is different.

Global
04-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Hey thanks for the quick reply... sorry to be a bit vague.

I have a 3 chain Fk/Ik arm rig (ie. an Fk arm, an Ik arm and a 'bind' arm) I use blendColor nodes for the switch - this is all working well and it's the method I've used on many occaisions. The Fk joint chain is being driven by nurbs Control shapes (that have had their transforms frozen and are in the same local space as the fk joints they are driving). That's where I've directly connected the rotate attributes of the control shapes to the Fk joint chain... (not rx, ry, rz individually)

Now... the problem was that the 'bind' joint chain did what it was supposed to do - if I rotated the Fk shoulder control 45 degrees, the final result was a 45 degree rotation in the 'bind' shoulder joint. But... The Fk joint chain would still sit in it's original position - even though it had a 45 degree rotation in the channel box and was evidently passing on that rotation to the 'bind' joint. So that wasn't particularly useful considering it was leaving behind other control shapes that were constrained or affected directly by the Fk joint chain. I'd also get some very weird behaviour if I, say, moved the Fk control a couple of times and hit undo once. Then the Fk joint chain would jump to where it should have been... kinda like the behaviour you get on an expression, where things fall into place when you scrub a frame.

So yeah... the problem was solved by connecting the attrs indivudually... but I'm wondering why this happened? I thought connecting rotate to rotate was just a quick and simple way of connecting up all 3 attrs.

Heh... sorry for the long ramble.

tbaypaul
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I had the exact same problem when I was writing a python node....I thought I had messed up the compound attributes.....but the node was working and I had to move on....so it just fell by the wayside. I'm still not sure I did anything wrong....I mean most of that type of code is a paste job anyway..and would have been duplicated in many places, but it only happened to one attribute.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2007, 01:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.