PDA

View Full Version : Questions For the Guerill FX Seminar

Y-Guy
01-03-2002, 08:29 PM
I thought it would be good to start a post where we can share our questions, so we wont be asking the same thing over and over. And maybe have some discussion on the seminar and the perticipating companies.

All you guys and gools, pile on what you think, and what you think of asking! :)

The question I have been longing to ask is; what do they see in the future for big corporations like themselves. And how much exactly will the CG industry grow in the next 10 years?

SheepFactory
01-04-2002, 04:26 AM
i am not a big company owner yet but if you look at the past two years you'll see some great things happening.

example 1- instead of the occational 3d movie by pixar this year 4 3d movies came out all from different companies. and next year promises more of the same.

example 2- with the release of x-box and gamecube , and soon playstation 3 probably , the need for talented 3d modellers and animators are increasing

example 3- the technology is getting more accessible , the software is getting cheaper also more powerful allows you to focus on the creative side.

i would love to hear other people's opinions on this too :)

A|i

Y-Guy
01-04-2002, 08:09 PM
Hmm, I dont know, but I think it is very small so far, beacuse there are only 2 movies that have been made in CG out and half-popular, which are Jimmy Newton and Monster Inc. (I like Monsters Inc. better) I really dont see how the CG move industry will expland more than it does now... But, again please prove me wrong! PLZ!

Anthony
01-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Few things: Jimmy Newtron and Monsters Inc weren't the only two successful 3d movies. Shrek was very popular, and may have outgrossed those two(would have to check that). Final Fantasy didn't do well for a very good reason: it wasn't a good movie. Shrek and Monsters Inc(as much as I don't like Pixar) were good films, 3dcg or not.

As it keeps becoming more and more feasible to make all 3d films, more will keep coming out. Another very good thing happened, and that's LOTR. Weta Digital grew immensely, and did a great job on the film. But the effect is simple: there will be more people thinking that they can do big effects like in LOTR, and so more projects can be planned with CG in mind. I think the industry will keep growing.

As for the fear of the 3d industry going the way of the 2d industry in parts of the world, I don't see it happening in a big scale. In 2d you hire a bunch of cheap workers to do the in between frames in the animation, with one or more lead artists doing the keyframes. In 3d we don't have any use for the cheap workers because we don't have to make each frame. If you have 100 mediocre 2d artists, they can do a large volume of work. But if you have those same 100 artists try to replicate what Craig Mullins does, you may as well forget it. In 3d you could have 50 people working on a character and it'd be a horrible Frankenstein. It would be nothing compared to one good artist like Taron.

Anyway, my suggestion is to always be pushing the bounds of our technical abilities. If you're at the front of the advancements, you should do fine. More detail, better textures, better lighting, more realism, always push ahead. It's only if you're caught, like some game artists now are, not knowing how to make your models look better. Some game types are having trouble making a realistic human figure out of 10-20k+ polys, because they just stuck with low poly modelling. You have to know anatomy too, which too many 3d artists in general ignore.

Y-Guy
01-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Are you predicting a boom in the 3D industry at any time?

Jhonus
01-05-2002, 05:45 AM
"More detail, better textures, better lighting, more realism, always push ahead."

I think the real growth in 3D is making things happen which can't in reality. You say "always push ahead" but i think pushing sideways into surrealism and abstract productions where realism is thrown out the window.. blah blah, i think thats where 3D lends itself.

But, yes, achieving reality is a necessary step along the way... not only for companies but individual artists aswell.

Anyway, this hasn't much to do with asking questions... continue as you were.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.