PDA

View Full Version : swat ambush animation

DanotronXX
04-30-2007, 01:09 AM
hey hows it going. I recently just finished a swat ambush video I've always wanted to do. I would strongly appreciate you guys checking it out for all the work i put into it:
part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAf9iZshmyc
part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrs...ted&search= (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrstTK_OeI&mode=related&search=)

I wanna thank this website as well as others for helping me with my questions through the forums.
I'd be happy to hear comments or critiques.
thank you,
Dan

Radiospank
04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
wow at first i couldnt get over teh animation being so stiff.. but the story and the voices were pretty darn convincing... so i really got locked into the first part.. especially toward the end i loved the slo mo gun shots with the people flying into the wall... and the sound effect,,,,.. you what kinda makes me laugh about this is the characters kinda move like puppets, like team america world police.... the way they fall. move their hands... anyway besides the animation i loved the concept... how long did it take you to do all this??

Radiospank
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
part two was awesome as well... i thought i recognised those gun sounds and effects... great job.

XLNT-3d
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
I think the quality has a ways to go, but I can tell you put a huge effort into it and I think some of the visual quality comes with time. I would say it was definitely an ambitious project that many would've never completed. Kudos for making something happen.

picolo
04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
nice work :)

tanicdesigns
05-01-2007, 07:53 AM
wow man that is alot of work. how long did the render take and how long did you work on it.

ChrisSosa
05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow, that was a large project. And even though lots of the animation was stiff and there was some sliding going on, the story was pretty interesting and the action was compelling. Your camera shots were great. I actually enjoyed watching it. Great job.

How long did it take to create?
How many people were involved in the development?
Your hole story looks well planned out. Great job!

DanotronXX
05-02-2007, 02:21 AM
like puppets, like team america world police

LOL yea now that you mention that I couldnt agree more for some of the parts. I don't know why animation is so hard for me. I try putting a keyframe here and there to try to get more smoothness but it goes nowhere and starts looking more unatural. dont know though did you guys get stifflike puppet animations when you guys started or is this just a thing with me?

how long did the render take and how long did you work on it.

the renders went relatively fast I would say. For all that wasn't showing in the shots I deleted to speed up render times. I would say on average each frame took around 30sec- 1min to render. the longest part was during the slow mo glass breaking part with the bullet. each of those frames took 30-50mins to render which had my pc on for about a week or so. I think its because it had to calculate all those transparencies and reflections and calculate proper distortion of the evironment to all of those shards.
the project took me about 5 months to do. from late november to last week. I would say first 3 months was spent on designing modeling... everything for the movie. Meaning all the rigged characters and all the backgrounds. I actually did some concept art on the soldiers and vehicules to really get something I like to look at. And something interesting for the characters is that all the faces of the male characters were based of a standard simple face I just moved vertices around and textured differently to get different faces. BUt they all came from a standard face that came with the already built ears and nose and all. this greatly helped save time as well as other things I did.

How many people were involved in the development?
Your hole story looks well planned out. Great job!

for this I did it all solo. But I don't really like to brag about that cause I find it annoying when people do and when they have to put their names a hundred times on the credits under each category of film. I find that kinda cocky and annoying know what I mean?

but yea I plan to do more and I'm learning a lot from these comments. Now I know what to really focus on on my future amateur movies.

thanks and keep the comments/critiques coming I really enjoy reading them

-Dan

XLNT-3d
05-02-2007, 05:52 AM
did you guys get stifflike puppet animations when you guys started or is this just a thing with me?

Its not just you. Everyone's first were fairly rough. Some catch on faster or may have a natural feel for motion, but that comes with experience. Also, once you get an opportunity to work under or with someone with more experience, your skills should take large steps. It's just like anything else. You have to keep doing it over and over. I think most people try to focus on one area(modeling or animation) and that sometimes helps to develop skills. Not many have the intestinal fortitude to hammer out something this involved by themselves. I burn out myself everytime I try. However, I get paid to play now, so I am not very motivated in my free time to do the same thing, but more difficult.

Keep plugging away and year after year you'll get better. Eventually you'll learn something really key and then you'll kick yourself as to why you hadn't know that years earlier.

}-{obbes
05-02-2007, 01:57 PM
I gotta agree with the others, the animation itself is stiff and unappealing, but I have to say I really liked the camera and pacing of the story.

MexicanAnimator
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Kudos to you for trying something so ambitious right from the start. I'm a beginner as well, and have encountered some of the same problems with making animations realistic.
I can tell that you've studied your cinematography. I like your choice of camera angles--You seem to have good frame presence.
For me, "real life" was key for animation reference. Even just sitting around between classes and watching how people move and transition between "poses" helped me to differentiate between what I thought it should look like, and what it really would look like in real life.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.