PDA

View Full Version : Shatter Filter

wireFrame
03-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on how to use this plugin effectively particularly using the 'custom' shatter map (shatter type). I don't know if it's a bug that when I use a custom shatter map, the map outlines/lines also manifest in the rendered clip as a shatter element. It supposed to be invisible but i shows.

An example is when I create a b/w map of a spider web as a shatter map and apply it to a layer to be shattered, that shatter map cuts though the layer as a huge web-shape element and is part of the shattered scene. I don't mind it as long as it shatters to but it doesn't. You see a huge spider shaped crack that falls down.

I don't have a picture right now 'coz im using a diff. computer (laptop) and not the workstation (I'm using AE).

Thanks in advance.

wireFrame
03-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Well, here they are:

wireFrame
03-12-2003, 09:47 PM
The Erroneous render

dg
03-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Man tuff one, at lest it is for me, I haven't use shatter that much so I can't talk much about it, but just a simple idea:
- Have you tride to turn your shatter map into a animated one, this may solve the problem with those sudenly cracks if I understood you right.

Or maybe all a said is just crap, but give it a try might work,
At least I hope :)

See Ya!

giz
03-20-2003, 02:22 AM
Here is a very nice tutorial for shatter:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/unguren_ben/shatter/index.html

dg
03-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Very nice tutorial giz!

Thanks a lot man :thumbsup:

See Ya!:beer:

wireFrame
03-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks to you, guys!

As of the moment, I haven't found the solution to this problem. I"ll try what diogo suggested using animated map but I'm not optimistic about it. I was able to go around the problem by painting out (the alpha) the offending part of the shatter effect.

This problem was way back when it (shatter) was still a third-party plugin and yet on 5.5 the problem still exists!

Once in a while I encounter a project that needed this plugin. Rather than doing it in 3d or manually animating the cracking elements in 2d, AE has an acceptable solution to this problem. Client and director were pretty happy of the result.

Im trying to shatter a 3d mountain and I find it very expensive to render an animation when you have 1.5 million trees on the cg mountain itself!

Thanks for the link, giz! I've been to that site few weeks ago but no answers unfortunately.

Tuqui-tuqui
03-31-2003, 12:42 AM
Hello!!! :)

Read the about the little problem you had... I also did a project where I had to have a building collapse upon itself. I used AE 5.5 Shatter and it worked out beautifully...

I'll try to post the images later on...

As for creating the shatter, what I did was that I created a simple Shatter in Maya 4.5. The entire building collapsing with gravity was divided into 10 shards.

I imported the render into AE and I used the custom/shatter map. Since a Shatter was already created in Maya (Meaning the object had already been split into different pieces with space (Alpha) between the pieces), AE had no other choice than to break the pieces into smaller pieces/shards/particles. And the webbing which you talk about did not have to be created at all, since the breaking up of the building had already ocurred and AE did not have a chance to create it itself.

I hope I'm making myself understood ... I'll post the pics tomorrow...

Hope this helps someone, even if you have already turned your project in...

Tuqui-tuqui
03-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Man... finally!! Had to upload the pics to Yahoo! Photos

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/intermexdt/lst?.dir=/Shatter&.view=t

NXTB
03-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Hmm, in the shatter properties you do have "Rendered" selected for the view dropdown when you're rendering, right?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.