PDA

View Full Version : Scene Statistics help needed

jademcquade
04-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi guys.

I am working on a scene right now for a school project. The Scene Statistics say I have an Object Memory of 33.4 M, a Render Memory of 20.9 M but have 482.5 M Free Memory (RAM).

I don't know anything about the technical side of Lightwave but does this not mean that I have a lot of memory available to be used perhaps.

Could you please have a look at my scene statistics and see if you think I could make Lightwave make more of my machines memory.

I am working on a 3.4 Ghz P4 machine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

kirigoi
04-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Jordan, that memory is available and can be used if needed, for example if you load more image files and heavy meshes. Lightwave doesn't just steal every bit of memory available if its not needed as it would bring your computer to its knees if you tried to do anything else.

However, you can specify a limit to how much memory Lightwave uses when rendering images, which can be useful when you're short of memory, or if you need a render to be done in one segment. It's found in the Render Globals options box under "Segment Memory Limit", and for fastest renders you should set it to a power of 2 (32, 64, 128 etc.) value that is just large enough for the Segments below to read as 1 (I'm ready to be corrected on this however). Check the manual for the best idea of what it does.

In short, don't worry about it. You shouldn't worry about Lightwave not using all your memory any more than you should worry that your hard drives aren't full.

jademcquade
04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Mark. I will read into Segment Memory Limit.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.