PDA

View Full Version : switch ik-fk in 3ds max

acamporota
04-29-2007, 02:51 PM
hi everyone....
i need to build a rig with a swich to change frow ik solver to fk solver in 3dsmax...
someone knows some tutorial????
long ago i see a rig setup with arms ik-fk setup without swich...unfortunatly i lost that rig....
can you help me guys...

thank's and sorry for my bad english

eek
04-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Ive tried lots of methods from keyframe snapping to using when handlers and callbacks - the simpliest method by far is the easiest: two systems IK and FK and a chain to blend between them. How you do this depends you could have 3 chains or one fk chain that acts like ik or etc etc. Best thing is to come up with an idea of how you want to use the system then build it.

acamporota
04-29-2007, 06:15 PM
i have tryed but with no result..... do you know some tutorial???

MOSS
04-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I've actually been experimenting with the way Max handles FK/IK switching by default, and I think it works for 95% of the time you need to switch in a scene. The only bad thing is you can't blend over an amount of frames, the switch has to be done on one frame. But that is the way I prefer it anyway. One cool thing is it allows you to pose an arm in IK, but be in FK mode, similar to Biped. Just disable/enable the solver to switch modes, and make sure IK for FK pose is checked if you want that feature.

I used to rig with a triple arm setup, but I've replaced it recently with this method, and it seems to be working without any complaints.

Eek, have you found any downsides with this method?

acamporota
04-29-2007, 07:41 PM
this seems very helpfull...the problem is that i don't know how to create the switch button from ik to fk....i have built 3 chain sistem... the first with ik... the second with fk and the third have a orientation constraint beetwen them... but i don't know hot to swhich during animation

eek
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I've actually been experimenting with the way Max handles FK/IK switching by default, and I think it works for 95% of the time you need to switch in a scene. The only bad thing is you can't blend over an amount of frames, the switch has to be done on one frame. But that is the way I prefer it anyway. One cool thing is it allows you to pose an arm in IK, but be in FK mode, similar to Biped. Just disable/enable the solver to switch modes, and make sure IK for FK pose is checked if you want that feature.

I used to rig with a triple arm setup, but I've replaced it recently with this method, and it seems to be working without any complaints.

Eek, have you found any downsides with this method?

I found it to be slightly flaky, (random pops etc) i havent used it in recent versions though. Im at a point where im writing my own ik solver though :) , which means i can write anything into it all on one chain, stretching etc etc As to ik/fk im sticking to the 3 system aproach, i was playing with fk driven IK but it tends to drift and you need tools to blend it back.

acamporota
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
yes but how is possible that i don't find any totorials on web???

shalabology
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
ok , its probable that my replay will not be coping with the subject , but consider it as a suggestion.
i found that the method used in max tutorials is very efficient and simple though , it satisfies my needs , u can easily blend between either wat is called local(ik) and world(fk) with a spinner using watever percentage u like , i think u should give it a try.

_stev_
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
this seems very helpfull...the problem is that i don't know how to create the switch button from ik to fk....i have built 3 chain sistem... the first with ik... the second with fk and the third have a orientation constraint beetwen them... but i don't know hot to swhich during animation

So if you've setup your third chain orient constrained between the two, you need to make a custom attribute that can switch the weight of the constraint.

Make a custom attr (Using Parameter editor, or you can script it) on an object that goes from 0-100.

Wire the custom attr to "weight 0" of your orient constraint using the default expression.

Next, wire the custom attr to "weight 1" of your orient constratint, but set the expression to "100-<attr name>"

Using the same custom attr, make the same wire connections to the next bone.

Now you can key the custom attribute to switch between the IK and FK.

Later,
Stev

acamporota
04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
than'ks a lot.... but i have made a fk-ik rig whitout switch button.....it seems good bub i have to make some animation test before to be sure...
but thank's againg

acamporota
05-01-2007, 10:58 PM
mmmm i made some try....and the problem is that if i roteate the clavicle....roteate all the arm.... so probably the switch button is necessary....
but my question is...is possible to have ik and fk in the same chain whitout switch button??
like character studio's biped??????

thak's a lot

zeme
05-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Didn't see anyone posting this so here it goes:
http://3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=108086

Kudos to olli. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2007, 06:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.