PDA

View Full Version : Erráns Alba: Extended 9 minute part 1 *science fiction animation*

mjdowswell
04-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi Everybody,

Finally reached the date for my film to be shown locally for a one off screening alongside five live action short films made in South West Scotland by other filmmakers. This has been the most stressful thing I’ve done to date, I did not reach my goal of completing the fifteen minute film, and I’ve been told that I had a breakdown towards the end of the deadline.

I had to stop altogether and then after quite a bit of rest I went into a slow workflow and it really did crawl along as I directed my father with putting sound effects onto the last sequences.

What is going to be shown in the theatre is nine minutes long (and is what I am posting here below) but there is further five minutes of completed animation with no sound been done that can not be shown, it is the most frustrating thing, but I will have to be happy that something is being shown instead of nothing being shown.

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/ea_part1.html (http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk/ea_part1.html) (http://www.ensys.info/EA_part1.html)

Mike

Note: A lot of animation in this that you've not seen yet, one new shot in the old stuff. and a lot thats not been shown until now.

---

ivanisavich
04-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Congrats on getting (most) of your film done man! Must be nice to have that huge weight lifted off your shoulders, and I'm sure it'll be fun to see your work on the big screen!

As for the film itself....it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long. Like seriously. I mean, the spaceship didn't land until the 3 minute mark!...and the buildup up to that point wasn't very visually interesting....lots of sweeping camera shots but really nothing happening.

I think you may have also sawed off one of your legs by finishing the film in black and white. My attention span probably would have been longer in it had there been some color...but since it wasn't in color, it was just an endless amount of grey everywhere and it's very easy to get bored.

Overall the pacing was about 5 times too slow. I mean, in the entire 10 minutes....the spaceship lands, he steps out, rides an elevator, walks around and then falls off a cliff. It probably could have been 2 minutes, and still had plenty of leg-room.

Anywho...that's just my opinion. In the future I'd suggest aiming to make animation that's a little more involved to keep the audience's attention :) Just my 8.5 cents!

Zander
04-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Wow, thats a lot of work. I do have to agree about the duration. Just a triffle to long for me.My only real critique would be your choice of camera moves. Too many pans and sweeps. Some static shots would not of gone astray. It's like ivanisavich said, you have to hold the attention of the viewer and a re edit would be on the cards in my opinion. It has a wonderful feel and I liked the black and white. Ive made a few short animated films and the problem I seemed to have is always in the editing. Sadley some of our hard work has to end up on the cutting room floor. Having lots of footage is one thing, but making it work together is another.I think you will find a re edit would make this even more enjoyable. All up though, I loved the idea and the feel. Keep at it buddy..................it can only get better. Best of luck for the screening

mjdowswell
05-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys

I do know what you mean about it being move involved...animation should move, and I wish the environments were much more realistic... I wanted and still do want more of the elements...wind and rain.

Many of my ideas have been put to a stop. I wanted pigeons and crows, and materials blowing in the wind. Often is the time in my head where I have wanted to stop doing it in cg and jump over to doing it with miniatures. its a funny old sport though, each has its different advantage.

blz
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
that was a nice watch.
love the beginning.
keep up the good work :)

Obraxis
05-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey Mike!

Good to see this out there now, I hope the screening goes well!

I have to agree with some of the guys here. There are a few too many sweeping shots (personally I think the sweeping around the spacecraft landing wasnt needed - you can keep the camera still you know!) and the length could easily be cut down to 5 or 6 mins without losing any of the story.

There are some really, really good shots in this work. And like others have said, it's a TON of work for one guy to do alone. Well done and congrats. I would suggest that in your future projects that you submit them in a not-so-complete form here at CGTalk and get feedback from your peers.

I love the black and white and the feel of the work and the music fits very well.

Well done, and congrats! I look forward to your next film (and W.I.Ps).

picolo
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Great work Dude !! :arteest:

mjdowswell
05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Hey :)

You guys resurrected my thread. :)

Thank you for doing that.

Hey Scott, good to see you man. :)

I’m glad that people are still watching, its been interesting hearing the feedback from it...it’s been a bit controversial with clashing feedback...some feel that its not too long at all, others that it goes on way too long.

You ultimately have to go with your heart on these things, and I personally feel its not too long, I will fight to the bitter end to combat the hideous modern trends that I’m seeing in both television and cinema these days with fast editing and fast story telling. Its very much my intention to have long takes in my films...because its what I love to see in the films I watch myself.

And scott, I think you do a wonderful wonderful job on the writing of your crits, its balanced, the way a crit should be, and you spoke your mind, which is the way it should be too...and thank you, I genuinely know that you enjoyed a large percent of the film :)

Hey blz

Really glad you like the beginning, some people really attack that part...lol.

picolo

thankyou :)

Mike

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.