PDA

View Full Version : Question: Tutorials for people that are new to rigging?

Solve
03-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Hey, I'm new to rigging and most of the tutorials I've been reading aren't newbie friendly. I was hoping someone could point me to beginner rigging tutorials, preferably for Maya 4.5.

Thanks for any help!

goosh
03-12-2003, 06:38 PM
I've got a few on my site:

www.digital-dreams.net

But I'm working with Lluis Llobera on some full character rigging tutorials... from start to finish.

We'll keep everybody posted when they are done..

Javier

_vine_
03-13-2003, 03:01 AM
I would suggest looking at these sites for tutorial lists ->
http://www.maya3d.dk/links/tutorials/
http://www.boris3d.de/tutorials.html

Also, you may want to check out the book Inspired 3D Character Setup, and the video AliasWavefront Maya Techniques Fast Animation Rigs. (Though both are a bit pricey, they contain excellent information).

I hope this helps :beer:

steveblake
03-14-2003, 04:57 PM
As well as the above perhaps try this digital tutors link (http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/maya/index.htm)

which also has some nice rigging video tutorials. (scroll down to the Neex project part I and II)

and

this link (http://www.spatiallight.net/tutorialsPage/jointTut.html) for a html walkthrough of the process...

ps- I'm looking foward to more Goosh goodies. Thanks Man!

skigil
03-19-2003, 04:40 AM
joe has a few good ones here at his site..

www.electronicgaming.com

-skigil

SirRender
03-19-2003, 08:23 PM
That sounds great goosh! Definitely keep us updates on your up and coming rigging tutorials! Can't wait...

Doogie
03-21-2003, 05:38 AM
What would it take to make a Tutorial Sticky?

riltis
03-21-2003, 04:28 PM
I am new to rigging also but I am needing Max Tutorials...Can anyone help?

JIII
03-21-2003, 05:00 PM
this thread cries make me a sticky.

SPyDeR WeBz
03-24-2003, 04:09 PM
I also am a maxer that needs rigging tutorials.

I also tried the one's in the help section of the max program.
I completed it but, i need a 4 legged beast ;) rigging tut.

I would like to use bones instead of biped or if theirs a good tutorial on both "combining the two" is that possible?

Cya
SPyDeR

YankyBJeans
03-28-2003, 01:48 AM
The joan of arc tutorial is max specific and covers the character creation process pretty well. I know there is a rigging and weighing bit to it too so for max users that might be a good place to start. I havent read the rigging section because it is max specific and I am a maya user, but since I have used some of the modelling parts I think that the rigging steps will follow suit and be of some use. Hope this helps.

Yanky

MCGrund
03-28-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm looking for tutorials on painting weightmaps for realistic humanoid movements. So far I've only found some on toon characters. I'm completely new to character rigging and up to now I've utterly failed in rigging my first character. Some links or reference pics might be very helpfull.
I'm using Cinema4d but I guess the principles are always more or less the same.

schmu_20mol
03-30-2003, 08:26 PM
twisted-ankle: well the weight maps for humanoid chars are somewhat the same like those for toon chars...you just have to fit it to your model....i think your prob is, at least it sounds to me like this, that you experience some unnatural bending in the joints of your char....therefor it'll be necessary to apply some kind of 'smartskin'-technique which is in short terms self adjusting morph targets linked to bones' angle changes...curious 'bout smartskin? search the web for smartskin and don't forget to visit joel dryers website...there's a pretty good vid-tut ready to download (although it's for lightwave and not for c4d, so it handles with some specific lw techniques but the idea is cross-platform)

have fun riggin

MCGrund
03-31-2003, 08:17 AM
thanks schmu_20mol, I'll check it out.

Scandell
04-11-2003, 03:02 PM
THE JSCHLEIFER DVDS ARE EXCELLENT!

Doogie
04-11-2003, 03:05 PM
I agree 1,000 times. Though I don't think those are "noobie friendly" either =)

DogBreath
04-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Here is a link to a max tut by Sergio Muciņo at 3DTotal, which IMHO looks very helpful. It covers all the changes to bones in Max 4 as well.

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/bipedrigging/bipedrigging_1.asp (http://)

saturen3
04-12-2003, 03:06 PM
dear frinds

please guide me that how can i find a good tutorial for character modeling in max .
thanks
:bounce:

Cyberdigitus
05-26-2003, 05:23 PM
i'm immersing myself in the field too now.
here's the resources i came across (for 3ds max)

- the rigging tutorial in the tutorials that come with Max5
- the 3d buzz rigging video for 3D world magazine #35
- book: inside 3ds max 4 book by new riders
- book: MTAOP in max4 by buzz, but i loaned it and haven't seen it back since
- maxTD: he has some good tuts on rigging:
http://www.maxtd.com
- cometcartoons: lot's of useful info:
http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3dhelp.cfm
- ben brian: complete rigging overview:
http://www.benbryan.net/tuts/rigging/charrigging.html
- the joan of arc tutorial(there's a english one too somewhere); bone & skinning info :
http://mr2k.3dvf.com/tutorials/max/tutorials_joan.htm

I also look forward to 3dbuzz 3dsmax VTM #6, wich will be all about rigging, and the tutorial Eek is talking about in the facial rig thread. also, on maxTD there will be a riggingtutorial for r5 soon.

ambient-whisper
05-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by JIII
this thread cries make me a sticky.
done. and will remain as long as people keep updating this thread with links/info :)

Cyberdigitus
06-02-2003, 10:49 AM
some advanced rigging in 3ds max :

http://www.cgcharacter.com/dino.htm

they also create a plugin for muscles

loked
06-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey,

Cool Thread!!! :bounce:

Any rigger that is really serious about rigging has to get the Jason Schleifer DVD's, but as mentioned so many times before they are not for beginners. I would seriously recommend first trying out some of the tutorials and seeing if you are really interested in rigging. If you decide it's something you really like and want to get into it deeper, then the DVD's are a must!!!!

Good Luck to all who embark on this journey :thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

Fiber
06-17-2003, 02:05 PM
`hey people,
this thread is right on que.
I`m looking for some lightwave rigging tutorials.
Just the basics should do,normally i work in messiah,but i`m
wondering what lightwave is worth nowadays,if anyone can help
i would be gratefull,i didn`t find any myself so far.

loked
06-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey Everybody,

I just finished the first part of my tutorial. It's a tutorial on rigging an IK/FK arm and using double joints to get better twisting deformation.

Here is the link:

Back2Back Website - Tutorial (http://infused.f2o.org/Back2Back/site)

Just go to the Support section and it's there.

Enjoy!!

later:wavey:
Loked

FatAssasin
08-12-2003, 08:24 PM
I've recently started a new set of tutorials on character rigging specifically using Max 5 bones, wiring, controllers, and different IK Solvers. So far I've covered the eyes and the arm, including three different ways to rig the forearm to get a smooth twisting motion.

I've tried to keep things simple and explain every step, but rigging is by its nature a semi-advanced concept. So some familiarity with Max and bones in general always helps.

I would love some feedback regarding how easy the lessons are to follow, and whether anyone has any problems with them.

The tuts can be found in the C.R.O.I. Project section.

http://jhaywood.com

dvornik
09-09-2003, 06:16 PM
These guys have some great free video tutorials (for max but they promise maya in the future):
http://www.3dimplant.com

Ripper^^
09-15-2003, 11:46 AM
The english version of Joan of Arc includind the Bones and skinning

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

:buttrock:

FatAssasin
09-19-2003, 12:10 AM
I just updated my site with more rigging tutorials.

http://jhaywood.com/croiProject.htm

mikesnail
11-10-2003, 12:06 PM
hi, i have a few rigging tutorials on my site to (for softimage|XSI though) but methodolgy should be adaptable to any software types perhaps.... anyway, heres the link to my tutorial page :

http://www.starlitestudios.net/tuts.htm

Count0
11-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey FatAssasin,
I was looking for tutorials on rigging the spine (in smax). I saw you have a link on your site, but it doesn't work. Just wondering if there's something wrong, or is it not finished yet maybe?

FatAssasin
11-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Oops. The spine section isn't done yet, I got ahead of myself there.

IkerCLoN
11-20-2003, 10:00 PM
I'm also waiting for the new sections, you know why, my friend ;)

Cheers!

FatAssasin
11-20-2003, 10:29 PM
I know I've been slacking with the tutorials lately. But I've been doing other really cool stuff. I promise! :cool:

Tikisan
11-23-2003, 07:23 AM
does anyone know of some beginner rigging tutorials for XSI?

thanks

pimeto
02-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Tikisan
does anyone know of some beginner rigging tutorials for XSI?

thanks im joining to to the request :)

mikesnail
02-15-2004, 11:56 AM
i have some rigging tutorials for xsi , and a series of video tutorials on basic rigging which may help.
www.starlitestudios.net

hope it helps.
Regards
Mike

liquidcrow
02-26-2004, 05:00 AM
Anyone know really good rigging tutorials for Lightwave 7.5?

Hasnz
04-18-2004, 02:16 PM
liquidcrow -> I had been looking for the same. check out www.3d-palace.com. Just been over an excellent video tut on rigging availabe there by digiwonk. Highly recommended. it's in 18 parts. :thumbsup:

GrahamHRoss
04-20-2004, 07:01 PM
I really need to find a tut on rigging a four legged creature...anybody know o fone?

Doogie
04-20-2004, 08:52 PM
You didn't really specify an app. I guess a tut for any app would help for the most deparate.

http://www.breban.homestead.com/files/tutorials/QuadRigTutorial.pdf

GrahamHRoss
04-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Max or Maya. That pdf seems helpful. Thanks! Got any more?

saturen3
04-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Character studio Tutorials..............!!!!
Is there anything about this thing?

eek
04-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Ok people,

A lot of people have asked me about rigging quadraped ( 4 legged creatures) So ill make a tutorial for you guys including the rig too. I'll do 2 different types, 1 with locking feet like a horse and one without.

How do you want it? just a skeleton rig, so you can put it in you own models, of with a control mesh too?

Also do you want a version with a simple and complex spine?
The rigs will work will all versions of max 4 -up as they dont rely on version specific tools e.g spine ik. Also do you want a stretchy spine version (framestore,weta movie rig type)

eek

GrahamHRoss
04-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Hey eek. Thanks ahead of time for offering to make a tut for this. It's been driving me nits trying to build the damn thing.

I think for me it would be helpful to have a model with a mesh, so I can see how the bones affect it in the end. Not so sure about the spine. Perhaps simple is better in teh beginning, no?

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou:bounce:

eek
04-22-2004, 08:21 PM
ok, ill get cracking on it this weekend. Ill make a low poly control mesh to with it and a simple spine to start off, if you guys want a more complex spine ill add one in.

eek

eek
04-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Ok,

Here you go. Just finished this dog rig for you guys, its the same rig type we use at work. I'll make a tutorial this week , for now just have a play. It has all the standard features plus locking front feet for when they touch the ground.

Please right click and save-target-as: (http://www.geocities.com/eekinc/quadraped.zip)

eek

GrahamHRoss
04-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Downloaded. I'll check it out later today.....

Is it okay to say I love you?:love:

eek
04-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Ive included a walk cycle file too. And i'll do an html help doc tonight.

GrahamHRoss
04-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Nice stuff Eef. I'm jsut beginning to pick through how you rigged this thing.

QUick question. The second file with the walk cycle dosen't seem to ahve any helpers included with the file. Is there a way to see them? I'd like to see how the helpers shift around as the character walks.

scrimski
04-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone,

does any of you knows a skinnig tutorial for Max (except Joan of Arc). I always get weird results on the elbow and knee joints. Tried to fix this with additional edges, gizmos etc, but it's just getting worse

thx

eek
04-27-2004, 04:33 PM
hi Kungfu,

yep the helpers are there, just hidden.

just wondering if you guys want a biped rig setup, i would do the same like the quadraped. But possibly add a more complex spine setup. For you guy's to play with.

DogBreath
04-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Thanks for sharing .........again.
Now I just need to add some jiggle.............

Html help file would be great.........its a very different rig to your other ones...........an explainiation of the small helpers between each bone would be helpful.

Nice work.............thanks again.

GrahamHRoss
04-28-2004, 01:20 PM
A more complex spine would be interesting. Right now I relaly like the simplicity of the skeleton.

Also, I know you said you'd do some kind fo HTML file documenting the rigging process. I'd like to see that. I'm particularly interested in how you did the swinging of the tail and the ears. Those look very fluid and nice.

eek
04-29-2004, 11:44 AM
The tail (animated FK) is just a followthrough/overlap of the hips. The hip up/down movement is key directly onto the tail bones just ofset 2 frames. Its the same with top view rotation side to side - copied from the hip, offset 2 frames but also a whole offset of the tail 6 frames (half a step) - this makes its classic arc.

Arcs are key to animation, and this whats happening. If you rotate the dog so you see the back/bum, play the anim and watch the tip of the tail - it'll make the classic 8 shape.

The ears are very simple, i watch the up/down f-curve of the head. See when it gets to the tip of the arc and start the ears rotating 2 frames from that. The bottom part of the ears is just another 2 frame offset.

**The key thing with all walk/run cycles is that everything starts from a base. So for quads its the hips, and this motion translates down to verything else. But its not just overlaping everything, things have a key relationship with each other - weight to overlap- to followthrough etc etc. **(this is wahat a learnt at Framestore)

Maybe i should do a tutorial vid of a walk cycle walkthrough, for you guys?

GrahamHRoss
04-29-2004, 03:17 PM
But when you started animating, you started with placing the feet and then moved up, right? Or did you start by doing the sway of the hips and then move down?

And for the tail, so you went into the curve editor and just coped the keys from the hips onto each of the three tailbones, then offset them by a few frames...is that correct? I never would have thought of doing that. Does that technique hold true for other kinds of secondary motion?

I would love a vid tut on a walkcycle, but I would like jsut as well some kind of documentation on the process you went through to rig that dog!

BTW, I took some of what I saw from your rig and used it to animate a simple walk for an ostrich. It was very helpful to have your file on hand when I was putting it together! I'll make a render of it within the next few days and put a link up here.

xXEcranomicalXx
05-05-2004, 11:16 PM
May someone post some c4d R8+ rigging tuts, thx.

Dead
05-25-2004, 01:27 AM
www.rigging101.com

an entire site for rigging (maya mainly)

MCage
06-06-2004, 02:02 AM
EEK , very cool rig , thx! :)

eek
06-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Thankyou,

Im gunna put together a website and possibly some dvd/cd tutorials on rigging for everything. Gunna be max specific ver 4/5/6. But could work for most packages.

Ive gotta work out some webspace and some dvd stuff. Give me a list of what youd like to see.

basic list:

reverse foot setup
standard foot setup
sticky ground foot setup

knee setup with look at control
knee setup with expression control
knee setup with shape control

fk/ik arm setup

fk/ik 4 bone shoulder setup

3 bone spine setup
6 bone spine setup
8 bones spine setup

hand setup - auto/manual finger control

hand setup - stick to plane

quad setup- 3 bone spine
quad setup- 6/8 bone setup

quad knee lock setup

biped setup - 3 bone
biped setup - 6/8 bone setup

unusual setups:

wings,tails,snake

Understanding LOD:

Understanding LOD

Using reference objects and proxys

using control meshes

Theory on rigs:

how constraints work

how expressions work

understanding pivots

floating pivots and the need for them

Understanding puppets

theory of inverse kinematics

theory of forward kinematics

extras

MCage
06-06-2004, 11:44 AM
:(! I want to see everyting...:(

eek do u have a website, i want to see some ur animation..

U are my new Guru :)..:bounce:

eek
06-06-2004, 12:31 PM
not yet, i need to get some webspace. Is the website/dvd idea god idea for you guys?.. ill start this week on it.

eek

MCage
06-06-2004, 12:37 PM
For me is a a very good idea :) .:bounce:

eek
06-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Dammit dont want to be a pest!

i'll add a chapter on: Precise creation of bones, via point placement

eek

MayaV
07-16-2004, 01:35 PM
hi eek

thanx for the max files these files are excellent, can you provide a document on how you have done it and i am desperately waiting for your other character rigging & animation tutorial.

Thanx n Regards

MayaV

robo3687
07-18-2004, 06:05 AM
I was just wondering if any of you know where I could find a tutorial for rigging a robot-like character in max 5?

I have not been able to find anything of use in the max refernece and tutorial stuff cos that all refers to single surface characters.

I have a character that is part robot part alien (but mostly robot) and i tried rigging him using Skin, but while that worked the pieces of 'solid metal' were bending and it looked wrong. I don't want to do it using forward kinematics cos that will take too long.

And am I right in guessing that u can't apply an IK HI solver to a group of objects? cos it won't let me....

maular
07-26-2004, 12:43 AM
robo_obi - you can apply an IK chain to any hierarchy, usually bones, but just as well to linked objects. You won't find so many tutorials on this as it is generally much simpler than deforming a skin.

If you have a number of objects making up rigid segments you may still want to use bones (just for control), but rather than using a Skin modifier just link your geometry to the bones. Otherwise just link your geometry to each other and apply your IK chain to that.

3dtutorial
08-13-2004, 04:54 PM
For XSI rigging you may wish to have a look at:

The ACR (Advanced Character Rigging Series) by ADAM SALE.

Volume 1 starts off at the beginner level and each volume builds in complexity of the rig -- 4 volumes in total (3 published so far).

Volume 4 is to be released in August -- about 20+ hours of hardcore XSI rigging bliss in total.

You can learn more information about this at:

http://www.3dtutorial.com

Free demos of this series are available to play with too.

Cheers,

Joe

adamghering
08-20-2004, 03:46 AM
Hey riltis
I am also new er semi new to rigging. I also rig in max. The tutorials that come with the program for max 6 are by far some of the best in software tutorials. Just click on tutorials then scroll down to professional tutorials and then click on complex character rigs. You could also start out with setting up bones tutorial because they use that bones character to make the rig but what I did the first time I went through the tutorial was to take my own character mesh and rig that. I was very pleased with what I ended up with. It took me a few times to get through everything and I still don't understand a lot of it but it also introduces you to max scripting. i found the tutorials very helpful they are free and easy to understand. I hope this helps but you can also frequent some of the site links that have already been posted

neods
08-24-2004, 02:31 PM
eek, I love the quadraped rig you made. Would love to get a basic human rig from you. And video tutorials would be so nice. the biggest problem I have now is skinning, would love to have a tutorial on that. Thanks again, and cant wait for a dvd/site from you.

eek
08-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Ok People,

First off, thankyou very much neods, glad you like the rig. Hopefully its easy enough for you and others to grasp.

Sorry ive been away from you guys and not answering PM's, i get loads so if ive missed you sorry about that.

Right whats in the pipeline,

Im current putting all my rigs and techniques together into a new DVD. I cant tell you much more but it will cover all manner of things, some key things:

ik/fk arms + pinnability
reverse feet,
sticky hands i.e pinnable(wont go through walls etc)
3,6 and 8 bone spine setups
+ little on facial setups
and lots more...

Im also currently working on a website, which once finshed will cover all manner of rigging,
topics include:

Theory

Constraints
expressions
pivots
CA &wiring
parents and children
floating pivots
puppets
LOD and refencing
skinning and wieghting
tricks of the trade & secrets
Accurate bone creation and placement

& more..

Practice

biped rigs
quad rigs
oddities - tails, wings
ik/fk rigs
spine rigs
hand rigs
feet rigs

tricks of the trade & secrets

& more...

R&D

facial rigging
strechable spines,legs
etc,etc

Skinning

Fundermentals from pros( a good friend of mine and an ace at skinning)
how to skin
tricky areas
and a few secrets

evelopes and verts

I wish, 5 years ago i could access a site like this. So thats why im making it, its gunna cover from the ground up so basics right up to high level stuff. Its a massive resource site, nothing will be too specific so you add it to your work. Primarily in max, but maybe in other software.

There be a level system,
eg level 1 - easy,2-moderate, 3- hard - 4 -pro - 5 adv pro. there be tutorials in html, video plus max files and ms script.

Also the rigs will be really easy to make, and i cover reasons why i do things, eg, why i add contstraints there etc etc. Im trying to make it pretty much cover everything.

Also my facial rig seams to be dragging on, but its getting there slowly, and a short film is in the works and a massive lifestyle change, but i tell you about later.

eek. ps if you guys are stuck pm me or post it, im always around.

oh btw, if youve got a good name for the site let us know!

neods
08-24-2004, 09:16 PM
That sound wonderful. When will the dvd be available, and what is the price estimate? I could have some use for it soon. And thanks again.

eek
08-25-2004, 08:31 AM
Thw dvd will cover rigging a character from scratch, thats all i can say, and should be ready in a month or so. The price...mmm dont know?

The website im doing is my own thing, and idea being that you log in, and go through search stages e.g biped rig -> feet -> reverse foot rig or standard foot. Or biped-> standard biped or advance biped. Yourll be able to do this with everything. Need a name for the site!?

eek

s-rajesh78
08-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi Eek,

The whole idea is Just great, I hope this will help most of our Problems with Rigging and Skinning, which i'm really weak in :0)

When Can we expect ur website and ur DVD.

eek
08-31-2004, 02:20 PM
I cant giv u guys any set dates, hopefully the DVD will be done in a month or so, the website is a bigger challenge. I want it to work really nice, so im gunna spend the time on it. As for skinning a very good friend is helping me out on this part,( a much better skinner than me!)

eek

aaraaf
09-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi guys!

I'm just starting to get into rigging, and this forum has been exceptionally helpful. :thumbsup:

This is kinda a Max question... I've seen mentioned more than once that creating bones in different viewports can cause their alignment to be different.

Is this alignment to the worldspace? If not, what is this called? Is this information editable after creation? What are the big problems that come up?

Also, the stuff that Eek's posted here has been REALLY awesome. It took me a moment, but everything that you need to animate on the dog rig is green. Sometimes it's the simple things! :)

Thanks!

eek
09-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Hi aaraaf,

Basically the rule i go by is build each bone in the viewport where then axis it looks down that view. So e.g i build the spine in the left view, because X is its most predominant axis i.e it bends down.

Its like this - stand up, straight arms out, and saying ok how does my arm bend- foward so build the bone in the top view as thats its most prodominant axis Z. Collar bones in the front etc etc. legs/feet in the left.

And yes your right the axis in each view is the world axis, and this is the axis in the f-curve. But bones especially have there own axis order, which you can set in there properties. The order of axis.

If you build an arm say in the front view, its predominant axis is YZX, as this is at the top of its axis order, but then say you change its axis order to be right - ZXY. You actually rotating it in Z but producing a Y curve in the fcurve and probably and offset of this being X. Eventually it will flip about 180 degrees. So then you have to freeze transform the bones so there axis order is the same as the world axis, so when you rotate it in x you get an x curve.

Gimbal lock occurs all the time, but by taking the time to build the bones in the right view, as if you were stand up, will reduce it to virtually nill.

Btw thankyou for liking my rig, its based on the rig setup we use at work and is pretty stable, the controls are:

The Red shapes are the main controls, torso, upper body
The green controls are hips,chest, head, feet, lock ankle, ears etc etc.

Makes it really easy to grab and animate.

Btw i have a website!! to put my rigging guide on. Currently Working on the theory side, looking into screen capture. So as your doing the rigs, your learning the theory behind it as well! Im also gunna have a request button so if your stuck on something i can add a page etc etc.

Oh and yes, ill post some of my animation too!

eek

neods
09-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Eek, what do you think about XSI's character animation possibilities, and the skinning tools? you like em? I've been thinking about maybe buying Foundation, so would like to know what you think as a pro, cheers..

eek
09-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi neods,

I used soft 7.9 a while back at Framestore and XSI recently, they basically ripped the animation tools out of the old soft. In the industry i think is got one if not the best fcurve viewers you can get, the tools are just awesome.

As per animation its got some lovely things, the ability to turn off tracks at will is my favorite, basically you can animate all the body stuff, then turn it off animate the face then turn it back on again! i wish other software had this.

XSI is built on strong foundations, back in the day of old soft you could tare out all the code and use it for game. XSI's been used in Jet Set Radio, and recently Half Life 2, even my first job out of college was using in soft, i had to pick it up in about a week never using an f-curve before!

Its also got some seriously powerful constraint/expression tools, lots of NLA blending stuff,
ik fk, its got a lovely spine tool which was an outside plugin added in to it.

As per skinning its got most of the tools in most por packages, skin weighting, painting, evelopes. Quite nice to use.

What i would say is download the exp version or the demo give it ago then decide if you want to buy it.

They've all come from different schools of thinking:

Max is stack based ( you stack modifiers,controllers)
Maya is node based(node to node ala hypershade)
Houdini is procedural ( layers of procedural scripts eg. SOP's and CHOP's)

Soft is a mixture , and comes from very old technology, now with XSI its built on this adding very nice features and making it more artisticly friendly.

Originally it was owned by Microsoft, then sold to to Avid, as it was producing Avid software/express and eventually Mojo. This is said to be one of MS biggest blunders.

eek

aaraaf
09-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Basically the rule i go by is build each bone in the viewport where then axis it looks down that view. So e.g i build the spine in the left view, because X is its most predominant axis i.e it bends down.
This makes perfect sense! :bounce: It really helped me with a project at work. The Discreet tutorials are awesome, there's just so much stuff that gets explained in them so quickly that if you miss it the first time you don't tend to find it again.

Thanks!
I can't wait to see your site and get my greedy hands all over some more tutorials!

aaraaf

eek
09-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Im gunna discuss and show proper accurate bone placement on my site and the key rules.

And ive come up with a great system of doing the tutorials! Very nice learning system.Im also thinking of incorporating my facial rig into a tutorial.

eek

rdj
10-24-2004, 11:31 AM
if you need any webspace, i am your man, i got a WHOLE damn load of it! i could mirror your project or even host it if you want!

I wanna help you out, since i am very interested in rigging and animating characters in max and since there are pretty few tutorials on how to do this, i think you have a very good idea!

I hope you will take advantage of my offer, altho you may have already found someone else to help you out!

Dimebag
10-27-2004, 12:09 AM
hi folks!

I've been trying all sorts of systems with 3dsmax 6 to try to completely skinning this character , or just making it seem acceptable specially around the elbow deformations. Can't see how to post a pic yet but imagine a Bruce lee cut like character, quite hi-poly. I can't do much out of morph angle deformers since they're single-axis deformer. Now I'm facing dozens of pretty complicated skinning patterns but I've spent too much time on trying to rig now I got to start animate,iso I'm looking for the cheapest way to do a decent looking deformation, if it looks like low-budget short film I couldn't care less for now, just want it to acceptable and maybe just do a bit of rotoscopy afterward. Right now I make deformation where I start to animate even if skinning isn't good, then shoot, then morph the worst vertices of the worst frames to a correct position and until then pray that I made the right choice. Well thanks for reading good ol' me.

sentidos
11-15-2004, 12:25 PM
eek,

All that tutorials are gonna to be my Holly Bible !

Thank you :thumbsup:

ssloan
11-23-2004, 06:22 PM
man i cant wait for that, thank you so much :bounce:

Mike Nuts
01-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Based on my experience building my robotic squirrel and some advice of others, I've written a tutorial for rigging robotic/mechanical joints, including pistons and hose:

www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/robotrigging/rigging_robot_joints.shtml (http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/robotrigging/rigging_robot_joints.shtml)

http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/robotrigging/robotrigging_mainthumb_ani.gif

I hope ya'll like it :)

RoundSparrow
01-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Where can I find Eek's tutorials?

Momcat
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
hi, i have a few rigging tutorials on my site to (for softimage|XSI though) but methodolgy should be adaptable to any software types perhaps.... anyway, heres the link to my tutorial page :

http://www.starlitestudios.net/tuts.htm

Your site seems to be down. Is there another site that you host from?

TactMasterZero
06-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Does anybody know of any tutorials that focus on real-time character rigging? Isn't rigging for low-poly game characters a different approach than the high-poly cinematic models?

I'm a total noob, and would greatly appreciate any info and/or links on the subject.

booker21
06-28-2005, 05:20 AM
wich one do you guys recommend to start with? i`m asking for the simple one of all.
Totally noob here

wes
07-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Booker21 asked about where to start learning rigging for the completely un-initiated.

Since it's all new, you're in luck: You can start _anywhere_, but you must remember to start simply. Try doing something with a very simple rig as quickly as possible.

Working with the limitations of a basic rig will help you to appreciate each new tool or doo-dad that the software has or that some clever rigger here can teach you.

Remember that when you read about someone's latest and greatest rig, it was likely built for a character with very specific needs.

If you're just starting, then your needs should be basic. Don't complicate your way with unnecessary complexity right off the bat.

make a simple rig without fingers or facial expressions. Then grab some sound bites or record your own, and start posing. Videotape yourself or your friend, or your nephew, and watch this as you work.

A 'Magic Bullet' rig is either going to be difficult to manage, or unnecessarily hard on system resources. (advice subject to change without notification) :)

A number of pre-fab rigs are out there. "Final Rig" is a free bi-pedal rig from Radiant Square. Looks to have alot of features, and you can start animating that right away.

Not to mention:
Learn all you can about classical animation; learn to draw, to see, to move, and act, to see and feel weight; mass, emotion.

Move it!

RobW720
08-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Hey guys.

Im graduating from animation in a few weeks here but as of the last few months i have really started getting into rigging and character set up. some things i would like to try to put into character and learn how to do include

Strechy IK and FK
Bendy arms and legs
Strechy bendy spine
more quadraped rigging ideas

and overall just a better workflow. I have seen on some sites like goosh's page and such that they show the final of what they are trying to do, but i would really like to know how to build these from the ground up (especially the strechy bendy arms and legs that can switch between IK and FK)

anyhoo, if anyone has any real good solid tutorials on that they could share or be willing to help me out i would really really be very super thankful.

-Rob

3drage
10-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Check it out!

http://www.animationrigs.com (http://www.animationrigs.com/)

wes
12-07-2005, 07:32 PM
and learn how to do include
Strechy IK and FK Bendy arms and legs Strechy bendy spine more quadraped rigging ideas
and overall just a better workflow.
-Rob

Check out 'the art of rigging' book and dvd. "Chock full" of exactly that.
http://www.cgtoolkit.com/book1.htm
Video Tutorials are concise (quick, too) and well done. You'll learn _alot_.

wes

GioZ
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Hello Im tryng to make a skeleton on my model but I need some help if anyone could help me binding the skin?

Thank you!

Nii
02-03-2006, 04:21 AM
While this thread is somewhat old, its a sticky so there shouldn't be any problem posting in it =].

Anyway great tutorial links guys, except they don't really cater to what I'm looking for... I've got my skeleton all fitting nicely, but the deformations at the armpits and groin area never deform correctly! This is something I'm trying to learn to overcome, but the main problem is the majority of the tutorials are designed to show how to build a rig from scratch or to apply a skin modifier. They don't, however, go in detail about error checking and specific methods to fix and change envelopes for realistic deformation. In my case for the limbs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-Nii

wes
02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
The trick in answering your question is that there is no 'silver bullet' process for building or troubleshooting a rig.

- Generally, though, consider what range of actions your character needs to do.
- Using combinaions of deformers, constraints, skeletons, and such, build your rig with those specifications in mind.
- Once it is setup, test it to see if it can perform those actions.
- If it can't, go re-work it.

Learn your goal:
Make sure you are really familiar with your target objective. If it's realistic deformations, then study anatomy both human and critter.

Learn your tools:
Try all the tools available in Maya's 'Animation' Menus. Get to know them. If there are things you don't recognize in there, open up the docs and/or search the web. Don't underestimate the documentation of any software.

If you are a beginner, you have more to learn but that's alright! START SIMPLY. That way, you won't get stressed about things you don't (yet) know.
You didn't run before walking.... Learn the basics and how all those little bits work first before worrying about the perfect squinching, watering, rippling eye blink.

Personal experience is the tutorial that no one else can write but yourself, and no better teacher!

If you've made it this far, though, you might be interested in looking up techniques which involve morphing your skinned mesh into Blendshape targets that compensate for bad deformations. Steven Stahlberg used this technique, I recall, and explains it fairly well. Start with him for some details and then look for more recent developments on this concept.

Good luck!
w
es

mrm83
03-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Check out 'the art of rigging' book and dvd. "Chock full" of exactly that.
http://www.cgtoolkit.com/book1.htm
Video Tutorials are concise (quick, too) and well done. You'll learn _alot_.

wes

its for maya =[.. im a total noob in rigging with 3dsmax, you think i can follow it through??

wes
03-15-2006, 02:10 AM
My personal opinion is, yes, but I checked the press release from the authors and their own pitch for the book agrees:

" Because each chapter is designed to become progressively more advanced, readers can quickly find the information they need regardless of whether they are at a novice or professional level. "

plus, Kiaran's tutorials on the DVD are all very well-paced. He wastes no time and explains thoroughly the concepts he is trying to convey. Every bit as pleasant as a Gnomon DVD. (you'll want to look those up, too...)

Get chapter overviews on the website as well... Look them over and see if they inspire you some more. Good luck and don't forget to tell us how it went back here in-forum!

wes

3d2w
04-02-2006, 09:07 AM
im also wanting some easy tutorials . but which u sent, may be i cant find , man. so plz send again.

leavethetvon
04-17-2006, 02:30 PM
where are eek's tutorials???????????????????????

vipul
05-05-2006, 07:21 AM
i m looking for some free rigged models in maya.

jschleifer
05-06-2006, 05:08 PM
wow.. what a long living thread!

I'm going to post a more detailed post on my blog later on this week, but I just wanted to let people know that I'm going to be doing a full day rigging masterclass at siggraph this year for Maya.

I'm trying to do it as a beginning-advanced level course, so there's something there for everyone.. although for beginners, I do recommend some knowledge of maya, otherwise they'll be thuroughly confused. :) So maybe it's more intermediate-advanced...

But the concept is based around the fact that there are a lot of "answers" to rigging problems.. fk/ik arms.. stretchy backs.. etc.. but not much in terms of learning how to FIND the answers, or why those answers even exist. WHY is fk/ik so important? What about other types of controls? would you want them? why? why not? What exactly are we trying to DO with these controls?

So this course will cover both sides of things: First, how to determine what the rigs need to do, second how to go about figuring out the right solution, third how to impliment that solution, and forth how to deliver it to the animator.

As with my other dvds & masterclasses, it will mostly cover body mechanics, with very little skinning information (personally, I find the mechanics of how things move & how to give that control to the animator really interesting & fun to work out). It will also include somewhere around 200+ pages of documentation.. and a bunch of mel scripts.

So like I said.. more information will be coming in the next week or so, but thought it'd be good to get this out there. :)

-jason

LucentDreams
05-06-2006, 07:27 PM
good news Jason, Is this a siggraph one as I didnt' see your name mentioned on the autodesk masterclasses. I"ll keep an eye on your blog, but don't know if I"ll be able to attend, I"m doing the Cartoony master classes on the Monday, and work the exhibition.

jschleifer
05-06-2006, 07:32 PM
it's the autodesk ones.. I'm still working out the final details with Autodesk about everything, which is why it may not have been in the official announcement. :)

but it looks like it's going to be on tuesday.. hopefully my kid will be born before then!! heh :)

loocas
05-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Sorry for being an advertising whore, but since this is related... I hope I'll be forgiven ;)

http://www.duber.cz/training/head_rigging/banner_cgtalk.jpg (http://www.duber.cz/index.php?section=training_view_document&url=training/head_rigging/head_rigging.php)

Hi there :wavey:

I'd like to let you all know that I've recently released a new videotutorial on basic head rigging.

In this 1 hour long (90MB), fully narrated, videotutorial, I'll guide you through rigging the skull and neck areas, then move onto rigging operational jaw bone and finally I'll rig the eyes with a bit more complex automatic eyelids system that not only allows you to make the character wink and blink, but it'll also automatically take care of the eyelids secondary animation based on the eyes movements.

Please, take a look at the more detailed description on my site as well as the preview videos.

LINK: BASIC HEAD RIGGING (http://www.duber.cz/index.php?section=training_view_document&url=training/head_rigging/head_rigging.php)

cheers,

- loocas | www.duber.cz (http://www.duber.cz)

amreet
05-08-2006, 01:29 PM
hi there

im after that very popular free rig thats floating around the net for quite some time now.
ive seen it used in many a demo reel, and would like to know the address where i can get it.
its that blue colour dude with the squarish head.

hopefully someone knows what i talking about and can pass me a link.

cheers
slider17

P.S sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

_stev_
05-08-2006, 06:45 PM
http://andrewsilke.com/generi_rig/generi_rig.html

Stev

amreet
05-09-2006, 04:20 AM
perfect! thanks.

kuncept_kuncult
05-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey, I'm new to rigging and most of the tutorials I've been reading aren't newbie friendly. I was hoping someone could point me to beginner rigging tutorials, preferably for Maya 4.5.

Thanks for any help!
hi am also new to rigging and i just went thru the tutorial and boy!am i a baby.
i guess i have to find out how to get the soft wear to buy,can you help,any idea at all?

Croup
06-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Ok,

Here you go. Just finished this dog rig for you guys, its the same rig type we use at work. I'll make a tutorial this week , for now just have a play. It has all the standard features plus locking front feet for when they touch the ground.

Please right click and save-target-as: (http://www.geocities.com/eekinc/quadraped.zip)

eek

Any chance you could re-upload this tutorial, I have looked everywhere for a tut and this was my best hope. Thanks in Advance.

DogBreath
06-19-2006, 05:49 AM
In the meantime try this.

http://www.tvcd.com/TextTut/CatRun/RunTutorial.htm

It should help you with the main points you need to know, to animate a quadriped.

Eeks the man when it comes to walk cycles advice, here's some he gave me.

" Quadraped walk cycles are pretty standard once you get the hang of it.
horses generally do transverse walks and gallops, 3,4,1,2 step wise.
Where as dogs and cats do rotary walks, 4,3,2,1.
Then you get crazy stuff like double suspended rotary gallop like grey hounds.
Its all to do with the gait and the timing.
With a walk the foot is longer on the ground than in the air, vice versa for running. Between these you get things like trots, and canters.
also with a quadraped the front legs are exactly half a step out from the back legs. So when the back legs are at there passing position the front are at there full extention.
It gives the sense that the front legs are being kicked by the back. Also you get the classic wave motion of the hips and chest. The step and gait has to be exact, (time in air/on ground). Otherwise the front feet will catch up to quickly, then be spot on then behind.
I generally start with a 0 - 24 frame step start. So starting with hind foot back moves to its full extention at frame 10 then back. I generally work with the end number being even - seems to work for me. This is the principle of it all including bipeds, its controlled falling. Your falling onto the step."

eek
06-19-2006, 08:53 AM
yes ill see if i can find it. ok, for now this script will build the exact same quad rig.

www.eekstudios.com/cgtalk/Quick-Quad.ms

as to walks/runs - if you draw a giant x on a piece of paper. With 'longer in air' at the top and 'longer on ground at the bottom' this is essential it. When the timing for the foot is in the middle of the x you have a trot, when it starts moving toward a run you have a canter, towards a walk a fast walk. This is the key essentially, you can have way off timings like 8 frames on ground 16 in air, and it say if you push the torso with a little flick at say frame 12-13 (for overlap) you getting into snidey walks. The up down is a wave covering both the steps. If you double the ups/downs in the range you get a double bounce to the walk. Walks are key. quads are essentially a human walk, stuck together with the front half a step out.

When cfc where doing walking with beast, they did a sabre tooth run, its feet were on the ground for one frame. Ive done sprints with 2 frames on the ground. Horse gallops are complicated, and its transverse i.e the cross over - also in sprints of quads there is no passing position, they happen in pairs, horses in 2-4 frames bak left,front right, back right, front left. da da dada, da da, dada. I tap the walk run first to get the beat in my head.

kubaweinert
07-28-2006, 11:12 AM
hi everyone!
thanks for lot of nice stuff about rigging

i'm lookin' for a TUTORIAL for begginers about rigging character in MAYA with al ik/fk

maya Help sucks!

everlite
09-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm a max user and i just noticed the free rig above, just wondering how one goes about creating an interface control system like the one he created for the above character? I've seen people make this kind of rig in xsi and maya, but never max, is there a reason why creating this kind of system in max might not be such a good idea? i just this it's a lot easier.

Alternatively how else could you make a control system that allows you to easily get control of your character without having to go in and grap gizmos etcs ?

Cheers - Dave.

wes
09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Alternatively how else could you make a control system that allows you to easily get control of your character without having to go in and grap gizmos etcs ?

I would think that grabbing gizmos _is_ easier. I'm guessing that a Max user might like those groovy sliders that were introduced years ago? Or is it numeric control you seek?

It always seemed that Max users relied on Character Studio's "Physique" and "Biped" for most of their rigging needs.

It's a good question, though. I'd be academically curious to hear some thoughts on the answer. I'm guessing you have asked this on a Max forum also, ya?

It seems that nowadays, you might be better off choosing between the specialties of rigging or animating, unless you have the propensity to excel at both. For me (at present), I'm better off spending time using a pre-fab rig and honing my animation skill. Otherwise, I'd spend so much time trying to learn rigging that I'd never _get_ to animate anything, much less become proficient at it.

-wes

everlite
09-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I think in todays world and also dependent on the size of the studio we work in its becoming more the case that we need to know all areas of the pipeline from modelling to animation, if only to forsee and avoid problems futher down the line.

To be honest i thought this was the max forum! oops. It's just a general thought really.

I just like how some people, espcially on demo reels tend to have really well built controls consoles away from the character itself and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on building them. I know how to build basic sliders etc but i'm sure there's better ways.

Cheers - Dave.

Schirka
10-19-2006, 03:27 AM
I am trying to rig a biped that I modeled in maya, someone told me to export it to motionbuilder because it's easier to rig there since it makes the controls for you and so on... but to do that I have to save it as a fbx in maya, and for some reason it doesnt give me that option, not even in the plugin manager, and I want to know if there is any other way to export it to motionbuilder, or any other easy way to rig it. I already have the skeleton and the body weights....
Please help! I'm so frustrated!!

tantarus
10-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi all

Does someone knows where to find C4D rigging tuts., or even better DVD in depth training :)
Also where to find tuts. about mechanical rigging ?

Thank you :)

mrbozzo
11-09-2006, 03:53 PM
i m looking for some free rigged models in maya.

don't know if this is posted before but here it is:
http://andrewsilke.com/generi_rig/generi_rig.html

also try the links on that page and you'll come to different websites with both rigs and mel scripts...

adamghering
11-10-2006, 01:45 AM
So you wanna use motion builder. I am not sure why the fbx xport isnt in the plugins list but it should be. Fbx is now native to maya and one of the most universal and widely supported intermediary out there. (great features too). Go to window>settings and preferences>plugin manager and look for the fbx to load. if you don't find it then you can download the latest version off the net.

Once you get the plugin working you have to export (not save as) the file or selected to fbx. Then you can open this in motion builder. However, If you are feeling brave then I can suggest using the full body ik in Maya. If you don't know motion builder there will be a considerable learning curve to actually reap all the benefits it has to offer. Also, the bone creation and skinning processs will be the same as you need to do this before exporting to fbx.

motion builder route
1. make skeleton for your character (there is a naming convention you have to adhere to if you want it to work without problems)

2. bind mesh to character ( if you are porting the animation back to maya this can be a dirty bind, the skeleton is what is important here. You can fine tune the mesh in skinning in maya or have someone else finish while you are animating)

3. Export>FBX (default settings are usually fine for now)

4. Open a copy of Motion builder

5. file>import/open>"yourfile.fbx" (default settings ok)
6. there should be a window called asset browser with some tabs. click on the asset browser tab and click the plus by the word template in the tree (if not in tree view then click the button with the tree on it at the top of the rollout)

7.under template you should find the word character, click on it. you should see a few icons to the right. One will be a little generic man with the word character underneath.

8. go up to the upper left corner of the viewer window and click the dropdown for view and click on x-ray (now you can see the bones and the mesh)

9. left mouse drag the character icon from the asset browser and drop it onto the root/hips of the characters skeleton. A window pops up

10. this window asks if you are making a biped or quad click the appropriate one.

11. go to the navigator window and click on the plus next to characters and then click on the characteer underneath. ( you should see the pallete change to the left, you may have to double click)

12.in the navigator window in the upper right corner you will see the words create rig click create

13. it will ask you if you want to create an fk/ik rig or just ik. click the appropriate.

14. you can now use the character controls in the upper right corner of the screen or by picking them in the viewer.

this is a quick run through. If this isn't doing it for you then check out the following link http://downloads.alias.com/mkt/gmk_mb7_general_features_pt1.swf
or
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=6837722

Maya route

for the best results just open the help files and search for fullbodyik

you will still do steps 1 and two from above and then it supposedly gives you the same motionbuilder rig but in maya

I have personally found it clunky and buggy and without the finesse of motionbuilders
Probably different math behind it and it tries to use mayas proprietary tools to do this and in my opinion doesn't quite make it. but I will leave you to your own opinion, if you have better luck maybe you can share your knowledge

buller
12-14-2006, 01:54 PM
hi
anyone got more skinning tutor files to share?
thn

c320162
11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Actually a really good one for beginners is in the "Learning Maya 7 foundation" originally published by Alias. It uses the robot character from the short film "Blue".
Actually I am going to University of Advancing Tecnology (UAT) in the Digital Animation program and am finishing up a rigging class. The Alias book has been a great help to me, especially in understanding the reverse foot rig. I think you can still get the book from Amazon.

John

designingpatrick
11-24-2007, 03:42 AM
Has it really been 3.5 years since anyone has posted questions on this thread?

Never mind, I was looking at the wrong date....hmmmm

aslamte
02-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi

am new to this forums,i want a mouse rigged character for maya 7,please help me get this one i tried a lot but i cant find it,

DogBreath
02-11-2008, 03:01 AM
try searching for quadriped tutorial, I saw one recently sorry can't remember where, may have even been on cgtalk.

deatheater4ever
02-11-2008, 05:11 AM
go to www.computerarts.co.uk (http://www.computerarts.co.uk) ..... they have a fox rigging tutorial .... it's a pdf and they have also given the files for download . you can search in the 3d and animation section

Boomir
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I wasn't sure how much help i might get from these forums. You all seem very busy. But the situation I'm in is that my prof. took a sick leave for a week, and now we have spring break, and my prof. isn't responding to any of my emails. So i need some help.

I am using Maya 2008 and am trying to create a rig for a FOUR armed insect humanoid. The problem is...

(1) I wanted to make sure the arm JOINTS were layed out ok.

(2) Then, i am not sure what i am doing wrong with the IK handles. I am missing or skipping something, so that when i move the IK, the arm does not bend, it simply rotates.

(3) How do i combine the left and right "body" geometry so that i don't lose the constructed UV Map? I'm not sure, because when i mirror geometry, then combine... it creates a whole new UV map ?

If someone out there has atleast any information to help me, please do. I dont want to waist my entire break simply because my prof isn't responding quick enough to emails. What I'd like to do is send you my Maya Binary file (.mb) and have you take a look at it for youself. Just write to ... fjoshua@bgsu.edu ... and title it "I WILL HELP" So that i don't miss it. Otherwise simply reply to this post. I'll keep checking because i can't move forward until i figure these out.

Thank you for your time.

CGMATLAM
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I JUST POSTED A MAX FILE WITH AN EXAMPLE SHOULDER SETUP WHICH CAN BE DECONSTRUCTED TO SEE HOW A NEW RIGGING TOOL CALLED THE JOINT BEND RIG CAN BE USED TO EASILY RIG A SHOULDER. IT ALSO INCLUDES A QUICK TUTORIAL.

Here is a viewport preview of how the setup that is in the max file looks.

http://www.scriptspot.com/files/Sho...ort_preview.avi (http://www.scriptspot.com/files/Shoulder_Viewport_preview.avi)

Total time to setup the actual weighting of verts on this aproximately 5 to 10 minutes.

The zip file and other stuff can be downloaded here

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/joint-bend-rig

Matthew Dicks
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/dalek333/

avdhesh
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
hello friend m new in rigging & i want to learn muscle rigging ...now m working on maya 8 so please give me basic tutorials links ... please ..

ahven
11-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello.

Here´s my new book page rigging tutorial for Cinema 4D. This is particularly for new users in rigging and very helpful to learn the basics.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=701357

wildfire0310
04-06-2009, 03:38 AM
I am searching for some help with 3ds Max 2008 and rigging.

Basically the school I went to work mostly with Maya and so all of my rigging experience comes from Maya. Well the problem is the company I am working/interning at uses 3ds max and unreal. It hasn't been a problem yet as I been doing grunt weighting work so far but I was told the other day that I will have some real rigging work coming down the pipe line for me. It just going to be some small robot meshes, Inline my problem, I never really worked with Max.

If anyone has any tutorials(as most of the links are not broken) that would help me learn the interface of Max and rigging, even better if it was geared towards importing into UT3. I know a good bit so far from my days with maya just need something to brush up on my skills and to learn the 3ds Max system in my free time.

Thanks

lilman1987
08-13-2009, 07:17 PM
if your a really good rigger please email me at lilman1987@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/lilman1987@hotmail.com) i need my charators rigged from head to toe.

Nate Wheeler
09-17-2009, 07:49 PM
traptcg.com

GreatFurnace
09-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I just wanted to ask what is the industry standard for rigging? Like modeling's Zbrush. Thank you.

designingpatrick
09-25-2009, 05:11 PM
There is Maya, which is basically the top. But all the other apps like Max, Cin4D, Lightwave, XSI, Blender are good too.

Maya might take the cake because it is easy to extend basic functionality through MEL and Python, which is not so unique by itself, but it is a more well-rounded program than some of the other ones so it's kind of a complete package thing. Plus a large portion of the studios use it.

I don't think that z-brush is the industry standard modeling app though, many places only use it to generate textures. It's more of a specialty app.

GreatFurnace
09-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info designingpatrick.

Well, I'm just going to lay this thousand echoed question on the table, is there any "bible" book about rigging? What's rigging's traditional art roots?

designingpatrick
09-25-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't know about a bible, maybe there is one. Rigging is relatively new. Most of the current developments in character rigging were established by the late 90's, although IK movement was first presented @ SIGGRAPH in 89' or something. Don't quote me on that though. Rigging is half science half art. I think the biggest impact that a rigger can make for the animator is through clear, indestructible rigs and great skinning with appropriate deformations. Really rigging is a lot about transparency, so that the animator can get creative and not waste any time.

Let me know if you come across any good info!

mahamb
10-01-2009, 04:58 AM
hey every 1
im looking for a tutorial 4 Lumonix.Puppetshop
i mean a complete tutorial from skining to animate not just tips ?
and i have a question ?
do u think Lumonix.Puppetshop is a good rigging tool or not im new in it
i dont like complex tools like biped
i prefer some kind of ik
tnx

designingpatrick
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
PuppetShop might be a fine program, but I wouldn't call it "industry standard". Depending on what your goals are it will be a good choice. For myself, I wouldn't spend any time with it, because I am focusing on getting a job in the industry; the percentage of studios using Maya/Max/XSI/Lightwave/Cinema 4D is much larger than the percentage using PuppetShop. If you are just looking to get something done quickly and easily, this might be your best bet, although there are quick and easy solutions in all 3D apps these days.

Michaelws
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
puppetshop is plug for max. At least the one I bought, which is now free.

designingpatrick
10-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Oh okay. Why not use max? I guess you really want the easy way out. I don't blame you. But aren't there a bunch of tutorials that come with the program? I found some on their main website, http://www.lumonix.biz/puppetshop.html It looks like the videos cover it all.
It looks to me like Puppetshop is a tool for animators who need a quick rig. I mean, the whole thing is customizable, so a typical rigger could do just fine making a set-up using Puppetshop, then go under the hood and edit more if the plug-in doesn't do the thing they need. But, I wouldn't say this could replace having an understanding of rigging with Max. It would be like a programmer needing a speech to text application or something.

peaxio
10-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Does anybody know of a tutorial (book, website, dvd, etc...) of how to rig a character for fighting? Such as Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Dead or Alive? Or can any rig be used for something like this? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

designingpatrick
10-15-2009, 06:46 AM
From what I understand, your standard rig will do the trick. You will find the greatest advantage by using a mocap compatible rig. Fortunately, Max has a built in, ready to go rig that works with BIP files. MotionBuilder is another great choice.

Nate Wheeler
10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Does anybody know of a tutorial (book, website, dvd, etc...) of how to rig a character for fighting? Such as Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Dead or Alive? Or can any rig be used for something like this? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! :thumbsup:

The biped is a good option for fighting characters. The biggest thing I would suggest for fighting characters (or any animation) is study hours and hours of footage on people fighting. I have seen lots and lots of fighting animations over my time and I can say only two or three of all those animations were worth watching. Over at www.traptcg.com (http://www.traptcg.com) I'm going to start putting up more and more tutorial on animation using references to create better animations.

doodlerboy
10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Ok so I am modeling a Kidrobot toy and trying to rig it. I am having issues with the binding, but I think it has to do with the joints or something. Has anyone had this issue?

I click on the mesh, than the skeleton and go to Skin>BindSkin>Smooth Bind.

And when I do that it binds and it's nice and stuff but, whenever I lift my arm control up, not only does the arm move, but the entire side of the body moves upwards and out, and the head goes inwards. It's all weird, just take a look at my image and you'll see.

Can ANYONE help me through this issue? PLEASE?

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxtbxd0

katzrig
11-04-2009, 04:14 AM
can u help me all my question answers?
1. what is the parent switching?
2. what is the elbow locking and knee locking?
3. what is the bendy arm setup and bendy leg setup?

plz answers me with video tutorials....because i don't know how to creating ...

katzrig
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
hi Eek....
great ieda...
plz send me your web space link becuse i will see and i do to creat more advane rigging myself...
plz quikly now....

katzrig
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
hi eek..

send me the your web space link...
i will see and i wll do to advance rigging my setup
becuse right now i m student so i m working on my showreel.....and i know maya8.0 not 3dmax but still i have intrest to get more knowlege.....

designingpatrick
11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Dude,
You need to understand that people don't just hand you information, especially on demand, in video format, addressing your desired topics. If you want easy info that answers all of your questions, you will probably need to purchase tutorials from Gnomon or Digital Tutors, or one of the many other fine commercial organizations. Finding quality video walkthroughs related to rigging is not so easy, it's not impossible, but you're probably going to have to combine information from many sources to get what you need. There are great books and tutorials out there for purchase.

katzrig
11-05-2009, 03:01 AM
hi desigingpatrick....
plz send me book name and all gnomon tutorials purchase to need me.... but right now i want to my 3 question cover in gnomon tutorials....

designingpatrick
11-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Really? Let me suggest that you run a search through Google for "Gnomon Character Rigging".

Here, I did it for you; http://www.google.com/search?q=gnomon+character+rigging&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The third link down looks like a good one.

Please listen to me on this; you need to learn to seek information for yourself, no employer will feel responsible to do your work for you.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy the process given your desire to learn! Let me know if there is anything else.

EYEINVISION
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Man, love a fourm jump. Hello again everybody. I skimed through this thread and diddn't find anything paticular to the question I have, so if I missed it, sorry. My question is how do the size of bones and or their placement within a mesh effect the mesh in 3DS? I am currently doing my first rig and have a high poly model. I've seen many tuts on rigging some good some bad so I don't realy need a tut link, just an explination of how the bone should be withn a mesh. To be more spacific I have a high poly female and am using the standard female biped with added fingers and toes. As I see it with my own tinkering some bones work good poking out, while others are hidden or directly centered and work just as good. However Im having difficulty figguring out where they should technicaly be to save time later on in the modeling process. Just wondering if there is a rule of sorts that I should know when it comes to placement of the bones and how this effects the envelopes adjustmet stage of rigging. So if anyone in the industry or is handy with the art. I am all ears. all in all I just need some pointers, rules that my teacher does not know about as he has never done this professionaly. I would hate to develop a destructive work flow just because I was not shown the correct or current way to rig. Man I hate ITT.

designingpatrick
11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm also at ITT. Although my instructor has a good deal of professional experience with rigging using Max. The size of the joints mildly affects the area of influence when auto skin and envelopes are concerned. I've learned to override that stuff using the weight table, I've had the best results with that and painting weights.

EYEINVISION
11-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Well glad to see that it's not all ITT's. To tell you the truth I'm just learning this art. We are in week 9 of this class (I trust you have the same schedule) and I'm just now discovering so many more options of animation and it's many tools then what was covered in the class. But I have not done near as much research as I should have. You get what you put in, right? Well thanks for the advice. I honestly don't know anything about weights so I'm off to learn. Thanks again and back to the work bench.

tleave2000
11-28-2009, 04:04 AM
Hiya, here's a set of YouTube video tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApdSx_4b0Q) I made about a nice way to set up a reverse IK foot/leg in Blender 2.5.

NightArc
12-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Hi I just made a thread but I don't think it went through, so I'll post my questions here. Apologies if this is in the inappropriate section. I understand if it needs to be moved.

I'm trying to model and animate orange peel in 3ds max 2010 for a community project - I thought this would be a great place to ask for those experienced modelers and animators out there.

Currently I want to create orange peel that spirals out as an orange rolls. This stock photo shows exactly what I mean: http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4341230/2/istockphoto_4341230-orange-with-a-spiral-peel.jpg

It doesn't have to be exactly like this but that's the general idea. Comprises to make it simpler can be made if it's causing me too many problems, though it'd be a personal achievement, being relatively new to all this media, to accomplish this.

Basically, I want to create a spiral shape (the peel) that hugs nicely over a sphere (flesh of the orange) but can then be pulled out as if it were peeling.

I thought about the option of using a line path and drawing a spiral, and then modeling around that line path and rigging it from there. But is this correct way? I'm somewhat comfortable with 3ds max but I'm certainly no expert.

Any suggestions or useful links would be massively appreciated!

-NA

designingpatrick
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
You might want to look into cloth simulations, for the ripping.

narutaki
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
woah , as i can see that the last post here was from last year , let me revive this again by asking a newbie question...

i've been using max for sometime now, to do a few animation projects and have only been successful using biped models and envelope it to my model ,

but the problem is that biped models cannot be modified to a specific shape you wanted for your model (and if it can i dont know how) and animating them to walk manually frame by frame( which really look sloppy)

i just recently learned about bones and IK solvers through various tutorials online

problem is thats about it and i cant seem to get the certain smooth movement i wanted , i saw some tutorials using bones and IK but theres this thing they call controllers which blows my head off i cant really understand it well , the only part that i understand is that you need them to control a specific action on your rig

if anyone could shed light to this it would be highly appreciated

Nate Wheeler
03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
There are several video tutorials at traptcg.com about rigging. Go to tutorials tab at the top of the site then 3D studio max then Rigging. This will truly help you will all your problems.

narutaki
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM
thanks for the link i'll look into it once i'm out from work, cant play video's here

i forgot to ask ..

does rigging need to have Maxscript set on it ? 0 i read some topics here and there are a few topics about it , problem is that i cant really understand programming well ... do you also have any link for those

DogBreath
04-02-2010, 05:54 AM
I think you can alter the shape of the blocks(bones) that make up a biped rig. You should go that route before trying to learn rigging (IMHO), especially in Max.

Pacermike
01-29-2011, 01:48 AM
I think you can alter the shape of the blocks(bones) that make up a biped rig. You should go that route before trying to learn rigging (IMHO), especially in Max.

If you want to set up a character in Max I wanted to suggest looking in to Brad Noble's Skeleton Rig (http://bradnoble.net/rigging/skeleton_rig.html) before getting too deep in to biped. Noble's rig is free to play around with and is like 50 or 60 bucks for the script that allows you to resize it to any character. It was one of the best purchases I've ever made. The rig is full-featured (nice IK/FK snaps, bendy limbs, squash and stretch, independent head chest and hips, etc) and makes animating with biped feel like trying to dial a phone with boxing gloves on. I've animated with biped every day for 3 or 4 years now and aside the fact that it's notoriously buggy (almost every hot fix Autodesk releases seems to address some new bug with biped), animating with its fake Euler type curves or its native Quaternion ones just never gave me the fine control over the character that I wanted. Overlap and secondary animation were always very difficult to make look good. Biped really does have a lot of nice features (its Layers system is about as nice as you could ever hope for) but animating with it has been very frustrating for me over the years. Animating with Brad's rig has been amazing in comparison. And the resulting animation just looks better. I really think anybody that tries it will really like it. That's my 2 cents.

Boucha
04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Here is a little tutorial :)

http://suchanspot.blogspot.com/2011/04/animated-pivot-in-maya.html

Hamed-S
06-14-2011, 11:17 AM
hi , i'm new here so i dont know if its a right place to send this post .
The created script has ability to build character skin in about 7 minutes, it can slice each part of the character to be replaced by the mesh of its bone part.
please give me your feedback (sorry for bad English)
http://youtu.be/U01DQ-D3-r0

cgsena
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I am Sharing this with you as I found it cool

http://www.cakewalkcg.com/tutorials/3ds-max/rigging

Nice tutorials in rigging in max with bones

Regards,
cgsena

www.cakewalkcg.com

visit this site for cool tutes

Michaelws
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Video looks pretty impressive Hamed-S...good luck withi it.

cgsena
08-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi,

7th chapter of the rigging in 3ds max with bones has been uploaded here

http://www.cakewalkcg.com/tutorials/3ds-max/rigging/12-rigging-in-3ds-max-chapter7

hope you will enjoy the series.

Regards,
cgsena

www.cakewalkcg.com
Visit this site for cool tutes.

cgsena
08-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi,

Chapter 8 released of the series. here is the link.

http://www.cakewalkcg.com/tutorials/3ds-max/rigging/13-rigging-in-3ds-max-chapter8

Regards,
cgsena

www.cakewalkcg.com
Visit this site for cool tutes

GnaReffotsirk
08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Are there tutorials for advanced 3ds max rigging? Like those stuff where helpers would have limits and move with another helper?

I can make basic rigs, but find it hard to understand wires and how to control them.

cgsena
08-29-2011, 05:34 AM
Are there tutorials for advanced 3ds max rigging? Like those stuff where helpers would have limits and move with another helper?

I can make basic rigs, but find it hard to understand wires and how to control them.

Hi,

No they are not advanced level, basics, but I strongly feel that you should see once ..you might got help in what you are seeking...after all "basics" are the key of "Advance".

Regards,
Cgsena

www.cakewalkcg.com
Visit this site for cool tutes.

jon7
01-03-2012, 06:05 AM
Thw dvd will cover rigging a character from scratch, thats all i can say, and should be ready in a month or so. The price...mmm dont know?

The website im doing is my own thing, and idea being that you log in, and go through search stages e.g biped rig -> feet -> reverse foot rig or standard foot. Or biped-> standard biped or advance biped. Yourll be able to do this with everything. Need a name for the site!?

eek

i need the tutorial about rigging fold of the finger for human character

jon7
01-03-2012, 06:18 AM
can you tell me how to rig fold of the finger for biped in 3dsmax??

im very need that

thx before

tdu
07-04-2012, 03:27 AM
If anyone is looking for an online rigging course, you should check out this "Rigging for Feature Animation" course being taught by Bryan Bentley, creature td at ilm singapore.

http://td-u.com/the-art-of-rigging/

Bryan's film credits include The Avengers, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strange Tides,the Oscar Award winning RANGO.

Criondo
08-12-2012, 06:32 AM
As rigger do you need to know how to code and to know programming language like Pyton or Mel?

I don't want to know onto coding thing, i just want to know how to rig creature and testing my topology wit it.

WyoCFH
10-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Hey guys,
I'm still very novice in rigging and a bit more on the side of character animation. I have a short to do for a school project and have some available rigs to use. I have the opportunity to re-shape the rig to my needs and I've seen it done before, but I don't have the first clue where to start. Can some one point me in the right direction on just simply re-shaping already existing geometry to give or adding additional geometry to an already rigged character, like clothing, hats, accessories, etc.... If someone give me a little insight I'd truly appreciate it.

koo
04-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Just Check the new character rigging class by cgWorkshop

SIL3D
03-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi everybody! I hope there will be a faster response...

There is an interesting conversation (http://e-roja.com/the-truth-about-softimage-and-autodesk/) about comparing the efficiency of Softimage and MAYA. And there is sample of "Dorrito Approach" workflow - http://vimeo.com/87722342. Also joins Cinema 4d - http://vimeo.com/88615637.

I tried to repeat the same thing in MAX and stuck on a double transformation in the skin, despite the "Back Transform Vertices" is checked. Can someone help in this challenge?

*Here is original thread in 3ds max section http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=7771347