PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Character Animation Reel

sgiuoco2
04-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey Everyone,

I finally finished my animation reel. Please let me know what you think.

2007 Character Animation Reel (http://www.oneclickawaystudios.com/AM%20work/Reel/DemoReelWeb2007.mov)
QuickTime... 4.2 Meg

mattmos
04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Jerrry! Awesome work buddy, very solid animation reel. Short but sweet.

I was wondering if it might be good to have the guy at the very end do something different, I know its more animation but would be good to end with a laugh. Also with a reel that short you don't really want to repeat animation, even if it is just the title screen. Maybe he looks embarassed and edges off screen, falls over out of shot, or something.

See you at the next Q+A!

Booyah
04-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Some good stuff coming out of AM, I agree with what the first person said about reusing the same animation, it's well animated but I did a double take on it and was a little dissapointed that it was the same animtation. Other stuff looks good, I think the wieght lifter could use some work, it looks a little too rotoscoped like you watched a wieght lifter and did that exact movement without putting any animation flare of your own.

lizardj
04-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Good stuff, dude. I like the animations, but is there a reason why you have this awkward black frame around boxing in all your clips besides the intro/outtro? Anyhoo the animation is nice, I agree with what previous posters have said about repeats, and keep up the good work.
P.S. How is your experience in Animation Mentor? I also wanted to go there but have not been able to afford it yet...

MN3M
04-29-2007, 11:36 AM
bretty good:thumbsup:
well done..
i like the baby soooooooooo much:applause:

GoldenCamel
04-29-2007, 12:52 PM
girl pointing at the guy is weak, needs an antic pose, take a look at dick williams book to see how to make it stronger. over-the-shoulder shot on girl, bad composition, big dead space on the right, read brad bird composition notes on animationmeat.com. weight lift has bad staging, line of action is unclear, weight feels heavy but suddenly moves up quickly and loses the sense of weight. the guy acting with the hat, some very unneceseray poses in there, "less is more", also hat should move in arcs, specialy when he's putting it on. guy with baby is not on par with the rest and could be taken out.

sgiuoco2
04-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the great critiques. This is what I needed before I burned a bunch of DVD's.

Matt: Ya, I agree with you on the into/outro animation being different. My plan was to do another one but just wanted to get it done and sent out. I am learning patience and need polish this badboy off before sending it out. I will work on the outro this week after I finish my storyboards for the short. **I have no life right now** It is all work and no play, but that is OK when I finally land a job.

Booya: The wieghtlifter was a study on body mechanics and I wanted it to look as real as possible. I did find a ton of reference to go by but always had to change the timing to respect the character I had, which was much smaller. Thanks for the critique.

Lizard J: Ya, the black lines around the animation is for the Title Safe Regions. I didn't have it before and I made a DVD out of it. Parts of the animation were being cut off so I sized them down to 80% and I don't have that problem anymore. Thanks for the comments.

MN3M: Thanks for stopping by and viewing the reel. Glad you like it. You must have had a baby hit you with a rattle before.

GoldenCamel: Thanks so much for your critique. I'm going back looking at the reel with your comments. This is why I put it up before I sent out my Reel. I plan on fixing the issues with composition and posing this week. The Hat animation to me always felt a bit weird and you are right on having too many key poses going on. **What pose(s) would you take out?** I noticed the bad arc when he is putting on the hat and will fix that as well. **If I take out the baby animation, will the reel be too short? I am adding an outro animation with the title. Do you think it will be enough to land a job after fixing these issues mentioned?**

Again, thanks for all of your help so far. I am really wanting to get a job in the industry and hope to get their soon. I appreciate all comments.

richardoud
05-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Hee great reel dude.. loved the first dialougue piece! Keep it up!

GoldenCamel
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
GoldenCamel: Thanks so much for your critique. I'm going back looking at the reel with your comments. This is why I put it up before I sent out my Reel. I plan on fixing the issues with composition and posing this week. The Hat animation to me always felt a bit weird and you are right on having too many key poses going on. **What pose(s) would you take out?**?**

I'm not sure what poses I could take out but I have a suggestion for you future acting shots, draw or make one or two poses that would comunicate the whole point and feel of the shot, and then break those up to add antic and stuff.

**If I take out the baby animation, will the reel be too short? I am adding an outro animation with the title. Do you think it will be enough to land a job after fixing these issues mentioned?**

I dont think you reel will be too short if you take out the baby clip but even so, remember that you'll be judged based on the weakest part of your reel, also another good advice would be to end your reel with your strongest animation, so if you have only three clips on your reel its better to start with your good one, then your medium and finish with your strongest (this is actualy by shawn kelly)

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.