PDA

View Full Version : Create clusters for face shapes in 3DMAX?

deana
04-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Hello all,
I watched VTM tutorials for face animation. There is a possibility to use clusters to create generic shapes for face emotions. I examined a tutorial teaching how to create those clusters in Maya. Can I create something similar to Maya clusters in 3DMAX (since I do not use Maya) and further on to export those to MB as clusters?

Another question: what way gives better results or more convenient - creating generic face shapes with clusters of using imported shapes created in 3d application (morph in 3DMAX in particular)?

PS: I am going to use MOCAP animation with VICON system.

Regards,
hope to receive an answer :)

bclark
04-29-2007, 06:53 AM
you can create clusters in max by just useing joints and skinning.. make a joint for where you want a cluster to be animated ..

Motoinbuilder can have the face setup to be animated or have motioncapture drive the shapes by creating poses with the joints/clusters or with a set of blendshapes.

It really is up to you what you want to do, both work fine.

deana
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks Bclark,
just tried bones and skinning, it works fine, and is imported to MB well.
Now trying to create an appropriate face rig in 3DMAX for an ordinary face, like in MB cliparts disk.
Tried to export clusters/bones from MB example file with face rig to 3DMAX, using .3ds or .obj formats in order to use their correct rig ... did not succeed... 3DMAX does not understand the bones and the bones' names, it opens some crap.
Anyone knows how to export bones from MB to 3DMAX correctly?

Regards

deana
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
"Anyone knows how to export bones from MB to 3DMAX correctly?"

Ok. I figured it out. The thing is that MAX opens bones from Builder as just tiny balls, where the joints are, without the "bodies" of the bones themselves. Cannot fix it still... :(

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.