PDA

View Full Version : Scale problem

Greyfox
04-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to MB 75 and I have a problem with scaling - it goes like this.

I have a character all modelled and rigged in max (bones + skin modifier) exported it to MB with latest FBX plugin, animated a run cylce in MB and exported all back to MAX 8 ... now the rifle is as huge as the character itself and its animation is wierd. What did I do wrong? I need your expert help.

My workflow:

1 - model + Bones + skin in 3DSMax 8 (character is a commando infantry with a rifle)
2 - Exported all using FBX plugin (latest)
3 - Opened in MB 75 and animated a run cycle with rifle in hand using Parent / Child
constraints and the rifle as a character extension. Ploted animation to skeleton and
saved the file as FBX ( simple MB 75 save function ) I did not export it as a 3DS
scene.
4 - Imported everything using the "Import" function back to 3DSMAX 8

Problem:

The rifle does not move with the character (the character is no longer holding the rifle) - only has animation on the up and down motion and its scale (size) now is as big as the character

Am I doing the right process here? Or is there something wrong with the method in which I export and import things?

Thanks for any help

Sammer
04-30-2007, 03:17 AM
Many constraints don't usually work between apps (although more do between MB and Maya than others).

You might try making the gun a child of the hand before exporting out of Max. Or weight the gun to a joint and make that joint an extension in MB.

Greyfox
04-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Ah I see, thanks so much Sammer I'll try and do some experiments with your tips in mind :)

ohsomogilicious
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
if everything in the scene isnt plotted of course max wont recognize certain parent child and whatnot constraints, but when all plotted they becoem keyframes and the relations arent even needed n e more. but up to yea try making a linkage between some objects before exporting them to mb, tip though, u have to plot these all individually, every individually moving part. if ur working in story mode, make sure u do the "plot entire scene to current take"

-mog!

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.