PDA

View Full Version : AM -> Genesis ACT format

walasek
03-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to let the people here know that I am back taking a look at the Genesis ACT file export. I have recompiled it to work with the newer versions of AM (9.5 and above), and am looking at the bone translation problems from before - at least I think I know what is wrong now. If you are interested in this exporter, reply here or give me an email...

pdaley
03-12-2003, 10:58 PM
I know I'd like to see any improvements you can manage in the .act exporter.

Wegg
03-13-2003, 05:01 PM
We used the old one quite a while ago. In conjunction with app.Milkshape (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/)

Its a pretty cool tool for AM users wanting to get their work into game engines. :thumbsup:

Ran13
03-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey Art...

Anything you can do with this would be a great help. Especially the problems with the bone translations. Currently, the lip-sync/keyframing functions of ActView+ will not work with A:M exported models, only MilkShape, due to the "all bones @ 0,0,0" problems with the current A:M->G3D exporter.

Also, I'm working a project right now that will require a lot of lip-sync but I I don't think that I will be getting the WAV files in time to do the lip-sync myself in A:M. The programmer wanted to do the lipsync in ActView+ after I was done with the anim's in A:M (just give him viseme poses in the ACT file)...but when I told him that ActView+ couldn't do this with an A:M based model, he thought about having me do ALL the animatiions in MilkShape. Well...nuthin' against MilkShape, it's a great app to have if your doing games/mods if for nothing else than a format conversion tool, but I'd rather have a root canal than to animate characters with it. :p

So, no big rush, but the sooner you can figure out how to solve this problem, the better. ;)

Thanks, Art!

amsmf
03-17-2003, 07:28 PM
I'd love to see it updated for the current release of AM!!

walasek
03-19-2003, 02:35 AM
I think I have fixed the problem. I will be testing it out tonight (hopefully). Anyone using 9.5/10.0 that can help me test?

Once we verify that this works, then I will make it backward compatible...

Arthur

pdaley
03-19-2003, 03:23 AM
I'm using 9.5.

walasek
03-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Well I had it sort of working - now it doesn't do *any* motions. I am re-writing it from scratch (will only take me about a day), and I will be using my import/export shell, instead of the older one (it has been based on the original version from Martan Sant - which is awesome - but they have changed some things around in the newer SDK's).

I will probably also make it so you don't have to export the Motions first - you will just export it all together at once. If you did export the motions first, I would have to give you a new exporter for the Motions since it doesn't contain all of the information needed to get transformations to work correctly (that is basically the problem).

I will let you know when it is done (hopefully today), and I can give it out to be tested....

I would also like to say that none of this would be possible without Martan Sant's original work on the exporter. He is the reason that this exists today...I have really only done some bug fixes and some minor tweaks to support some additional properties... Thanks Martan. :)

walasek
03-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Hello all - progress report.

I decided to rewrite the entire exporter (using the newer methods in the SDK), cleaning up the code a bit, and fixing all the bugs. Here is what I have so far:

You can export the model, materials, bones (in the correct places) to the Genesis ACT file format.

There are no actions exported (yet) - I'm working on revamping the way actions will be used by the exporter (it will now read them directly instead of the 2 step process of exporting actions, then exporting to act).

You can decompile the ACT format with Milkshape, see the bones in the correct position, and animate in Milkshape. You can then just export back to Genesis (compiling with Actor Studio) and everything works nicely.

I will be doing the Actions export today (hopefully). I found out what to do to fix the problems we had with translations before, so hopefully these problems will all be a thing of the past.

If you want to try the current version (model and bones only - but correct positions) it is for AM 9.5 and up. Just email me.

Once I get this version working, I will see what I can do about backward compatibility - but the actions export will have to be changed (I'm using new SDK features for the actions).

Project: The Guys House(tgh)

Ran13
03-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Hey Art...
don't sell yourself short, there bucko. :)

Martan did a great job, but you've fine-tuned and tweaked this baby to perfection. The addition of looping/non-looping selection, support for transparent textures, and the option to set the bones up in world space have all been a big help to me!

You and Martan are both my heroes! ;)

walasek
03-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Ok - I have a version to test. Everything seems to work (except 1 bug which I am working on).

Bones are in the correct places
Motions will be exported
Translations work (bones moving away from each other)
Rotations work (as always)
Its only one exporter (no need to export the MOT files)

I need a few testers that have had problems in the past... Email me at awalasek@attbi.com and I can send you the new exporter (for version 9.5 and 10.0 - haven't tested it with 10.5 yet).

P.s. The bug is that you can only export once. After that, it will say it is exporting, but the motions don't work. You have to restart AM. I will fix this though...

walasek
03-20-2003, 09:00 AM
I just thought I would let everyone know I have just released a new version of the AM->Genesis (ACT) exporter. This one is a much improved version of the older version with all the bugs fixed. Main things fixed are:

1) Translations now work
2) Bones are in the correct positions
3) No more first exporting MOT files (the exporter will find the actions itself)

The 9.5 and above version is at http://12.213.91.41/AM/ACT.hxt

Enjoy...

P.s. If someone needs it for 9.0, I will see what I can do about compiling it for that version.
P.s.s. I am looking to see if I can get it to work with 8.5...

Arthur Walasek
Email: awalasek@attbi.com <mailto:awalasek@attbi.com>

walasek
03-21-2003, 05:52 AM
The 9.0 version of the AM->Genesis exporter can be found at http://12.213.91.41/AM/ACT90.hxt

Still working on the 8.5 one... <cross your fingers>

Arthur Walasek
Email: awalasek@attbi.com <mailto:awalasek@attbi.com>

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.