PDA

View Full Version : reference objects

My Fault
04-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Does messiah have anything like reference objects in Maya? I am still tweaking a few things in my rig (nothing major) but want to start animating. In Maya this is easy as you can just reference the original rig, but I am not seeing anything like that in messiah.

Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing that?

thanks

Bugpoo
04-28-2007, 05:30 AM
I mentioned this before somewhere, but I don't think it was understood what I was talking about. It's been a pretty valuable feature on any production I've worked on and really frees up the animators and TDs to do their thing. On that note, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist in messiah.

My Fault
04-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Wow, I'm kind of shocked. I'm guessing there is a way around this, but boy this would be a great feature to add.

I know they are a small team and all and I really hope they take a break from render improvements and focus more on animation workflow. I never really understood why they took a program whose original intent was as an animation plugin for other 3d programs (which there by gives you access to much better renderers) and then took what little time they had to focus on yet another render solution. Especially when you consider how much better most of their animation workflow ideas were. Probably decided by the same guy who invented inactive keys. LOL, I kid, I kid :scream:

Ah well, either way, still a great program.

Ulven
04-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Yarr, I've never used Maya, but from what I understand this feature isn't in messiah. However I can suggest the following workaround if you need to start animating but need to change the rig file later:
1. Start doing the animation with your current rig.
2. Make the changes you need in the rig file.
3. Save a motion clip from Compose mode from the animation file to a .mcp file.
4. Load and apply the motion clip additively to the new rig and adjust curves to taste (Automatch by name).
5. Continiue animation with the new rig.

Obviously if it's just you working on the file then you can just make the changes in setup as you go, but this is more for riggers/animators working simultaneously.

My Fault
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Great suggestions Ulven, that was one of the things I wanted to try.

This is just something I am so used to doing in Maya that I assumed messiah could do it as well. Looks like it can, though not quite as easily as Maya can.... not that referencing in Maya always works, sometimes it is a horrific mess.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.