PDA

View Full Version : Rendering With Mental Ray, by Thomas Driemeyer

stylEmon
04-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I searched and couldn't find anything on books. Although, I've seen the title mentioned here before.

I want to get a book to learn what all the controls do in mental ray for maya. I don't use MR as a stand alone renderer so learning algorithyms won't do me any good. If the book will help me use mental ray for maya better, that's cool.

I really would like to learn what each control does and try to understand how to use them effectively. Reading the forums and tutorials has helped but I am basically guessing based on others knowledge. I don't want to click boxes until it looks good enough, I'd like to understand what I am doing as much as possible.

Will this book help or is it more for programmers? (employed as arch viz guy, hobby modeller)

Thanks

techmage
04-28-2007, 04:47 AM
Any book or training materials you buy will help of course. But I don't think you'll ever be able to buy enough training material to avoid the trial and error process of figuring out any 3D app. Especially mental ray. Your going to have to guess and guess and retry until you figure out everything through experience. Which yes, mental ray has a 100 different numbers your going to have to go through and test through trial and error, but thats how you do it. You can't skip that step no matter how much you read, you need the first hand experience and first hand expirimentation to be proficient at it and fully understand it all.

But that aside, in the case of mental ray for maya, I really don't think you need a book. Absolutely all the theory behind mental ray is explained in the manual or online. I really don't know how much more you would need than that. Read everything at lamrug.org, a significant amount of my understanding about mental rays inner workings comes from that site. Follow tutorials, eventually tutorials won't provide anything new for you though. Then of course, the mental ray documentation, read it, written by mental images themselves and is right in the maya help. It covers mostly everything, although it does it from a highly technical programmer perspective, so it won't be the best place to start. But at some point you probably want to be able to read and understand the technical docs.

stylEmon
04-28-2007, 05:10 AM
thanks for the reply. i understand that MR is a trail and error type learning process, I would just like to understand a little better what it is I am adjusting. So far, my knowledge is kinda mechanical. What I mean is, i have a basic MR set up that I am comfortable with, and I use it to get my mediocre results. I just want to start to go to the next level.

Thanks for the link, I am checking it out right now.

aglick
05-01-2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.lamrug.org/

This is a killer resource for all things mental ray....

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2007, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.