PDA

View Full Version : Come get them!

frinkky
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi,

I've got a piece posted in the general 3d wip section, but seem to be lacking in mudbox guru's (save Wartoon). As this model will be my first major piece in MB, i'd really appreciate some feedback, is it suitable or not? is the topology ok? Although I'd love to store this character in my 'can be animated in future' folder the main plan is to finish the base model, uv,texture, rig, pose, sculpt, import, fix mesh, comp with scene then render. CAn anyone see any glaring errors or should it be ok to import to mud and sculpt away?

The non-wireframe image is to purely give an idea of the current smoothness at render time, plus helmet.

frinkky
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Hmmph, no attachments in 1st post, so here they are again.

pd
04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Looks good, it could have been a lot less detailed though.

frinkky
04-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Is that going to be too much of a problem? I kind of want a semi-hi poly count mesh so i can use just normal maps if i end up animating, and disp maps for stills, closeups.

pd
04-29-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't think you'll get any problems. It's just that things would have been easier. For sculpting so much detail just isn't necessary. UV work and rigging would be easier too.

I'm looking forward to your results.

frinkky
05-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Well, maybe its a little too early to start showing progress. still just blocking in detail before the next subdivision level, but hell, this is fun!!!

Current uv's (straight from roadkill) and current layer.

MasonDoran
05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
You need to pay more attention to how muscle is attached to the bone. In a low res mesh you should keep it more like tubes, and then think in oval spheroid shapes for muscles that wrap around the tubes. Where two muscles meet, you will get a crease. Using photo referance is very important, but dont forget to include referance of a skinless model.

In other words, in doing character modelling you must train your observation skills more then you modelling skills.

Right now you muscles lack this feeling. If you can get it right in the low res mesh first, it will look good later.

frinkky
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Thank you, 2byts. I am certainly just practicing here - this is my first mudbox project - and your advice is sage.

I have no issue with starting the sculpting again - I want the final scene to be impressive. I will use your advice - thank you again.

PenguinVisuals
05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
The deltoid and biceps are standing out really odd. You should make sure to make it clear how deltoid is on top, and biceps come out from beneath it.
Shoulder to elbow also feeling very short compare to the forearm.

frinkky
05-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Thanks Penguin. I can see what you mean about the shoulder to elbow appearing to be short, but I feel this is due to the deltoids being a bit too big - which i'll need to work on.

Not so much an update as starting again - this is the first iteration so currently at approx 75k and I won't be moving on till I get thinks right here :D

frinkky
05-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok, i've hit a problem - trying to get the 2nd level displacement map out to have a peek and it is all screwed up - you can see the lo-res uv map in a previou post - it is still the same when i export out the lowest level with uv's but the next 2 levels uv's appear to have been terraced, heres one of them - can anyone tell me how to fix this, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: heres the displacement map generated.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2007, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.