PDA

View Full Version : Rig / High Poly

diegooriani
04-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I have a really high poly mesh that I want to rig. No, I cannot reduce it ( at least I don't know how).

So what I was thinking is to create a dummy low poly in a layer and use it like a main reference for the high poly layer. Good!

How can I do it? Does anyone know a nice tutorial for this process? By the way, it's a snake the model. I will post here some images later.

Cheers,
Diego

ErikSvensson
04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
There are poly reducion tools, at least in maya, that i'm aware of. It's called reduce i think.Take of like 50 % of the polygons, or more, and use it as lowpoly mesh, it works great, as long as you dont delete to much polys it will maintain the volume, then use wrap to have the high poly to follow the low poly one. You may need to tweak the optimized mesh some, but it spares time when it comes to make a simple similar mesh.

Erik

KielFiggins
04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Take the high poly mesh, duplicate it. From the duplicate, delete the faces that dont corresspond with each bone you've laid out. For example the hip bone, delete all the faces that dont make up the hip area. Parent constrain the 'chunk' to the bone and rinse wash repeat for the other areas. This will give you a proxy cage mesh to animate real time.

diegooriani
05-01-2007, 12:39 PM
KielFiggins,

The problem is, there is to many polys to delete. These mesh came from Mudbox, so you can imagine how many polys I have there.

Would work if I create some shapes to simulates the body and do a parent constrain?

Thank you for the help!
Cheers,
Diego

ErikSvensson
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
First off it had been good to know which appilication you use. :)

Use wrap in maya. Make a new mesh, low poly, skinweight to it, and attach the highpoly to the low poly using wrap.

Erik

diegooriani
05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Wrap? Where can i find this?

ErikSvensson
05-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Deformers -> wrap or F1 -> search -> wrap deformer.:)

Erik

Sp3ctre
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I've started wondering about this subject as well. I've seen some rigs where you can select from a high poly mesh, a low poly and a "tootsie roll" mesh. Is the wrap deformer the tool to use to make all these meshes use the same skeleton?

Also, I'm working on some blendshapes for a character I've started rigging and I'm thinking about implementing a low poly proxy model to make things easier/faster. Should I make the blendshapes off of the low poly model? And would the wrap deformer pass along the facial animation from the blendshapes?

Keithtron
03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, I almost always use wrap deformers to apply facial animation to the main mesh. Works like a charm!

Ya know, if you got the model from Mudbox, can't Mudbox export different resolution versions of the model? If you have access to the Mudbox file or the person that did it, see about having them export hi/low res versions, and displacement/bump maps for the fine detail. That sort of functionality is one of the main things that make tools like Mudbox and Zbrush extra useful.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.