PDA

View Full Version : ZP or Win2k?

Aelius
03-12-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm building a new PC for use with Maya - dual AMD, dual monitor Quadro4 etc etc, and wondering which operating system to go for.

I'm currently using Win2k and it's solid as a rock, but don't know whether to make the move to XP or not. Is XP better than or equal to Win2k in the stability department? Anyone know of any bugs or issues when using XP with Maya and/or dual monitors?

Thanks for any help.

PlanetMongo
03-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Aelius
I'm building a new PC for use with Maya - dual AMD, dual monitor Quadro4 etc etc, and wondering which operating system to go for.

I'm currently using Win2k and it's solid as a rock, but don't know whether to make the move to XP or not. Is XP better than or equal to Win2k in the stability department? Anyone know of any bugs or issues when using XP with Maya and/or dual monitors?

Thanks for any help.

My recommendation is that if you've already got 2K and don't need to purchase additional licences, stick with 2K. If you're going to buy new licenses, make sure you get the OEM discount with your mobo and whatever's cheaper: 2K Pro or XP Pro (do not get HOME). Since I've already got 2K Pro, there's no significant reason for me to upgrade to XP at this time, although that could change if I could get XP Pro for, say, $50, or even free (My friend got 3 copies of XP Pro from MS for free for some University giveaways).
Win2K is extremely reliable in my experience and does everything I need. :)

dvornik
03-12-2003, 06:09 PM
One good thing about XP is that with Nvidia's dualhead cards you don't need to reboot to switch between Dualview and Span. It may be useful if you use applications that run better in different modes.

Gilgamesh
03-13-2003, 02:45 AM
About XP Home, isn't the only difference between pro networking stuff? If that is the case, and you don't need to do any major networking, why not get the home edition and save a couple bucks?

dvornik
03-13-2003, 03:17 AM
There are other things as well such as:
Multi-processor support.
Remote access desktop.
Support for multiple languages.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.