PDA

View Full Version : What about monitors?

PlanetMongo
03-12-2003, 01:20 PM
It seems like every thread is related to the video cards and the guts, but what about monitor selection? I would think that if you're going to be stuck staring at a monitor for hours on end that this would be something you should give a lot of attention to. I don't see too many monitor roundups on the major tech sites that relate particularly to the 3D/modelling industry, maybe some of you guys could throw some ideas around? Heck, I was thinking some of you guys could do a "buyer's guide" and make it sticky on this forum to keep people from asking the same questions over and over... ;)

Anyway, my setup:
19" KDS Avitron (same tube as Trinitron, if I'm not mistaken)
17" Dell (no idea on the model numbers on either).

I'm looking around for another 19" so I can relegate the 17 to spare status, but I did notice some differences between the image quality of the two. My 19" seems to be a bit dimmer and less harsh, while the 17 is really.. bright.. Green really stands out on it, I may have to play with the controls some. Anyone know of a decent calibration kit?

I'm only looking to spend right around $250 right now, but by the end of the month I can look a bit higher. LCD's don't impress me much for the money, although I do like the Cinema's from Apple.. :)

Which brings up another question: If one were to look into buying LCD's, what qualities should one be looking for? I know zero about them and don't even know where to start. (As an aside, I ran my Amiga through my TV for 3 or 4 years until I could buy a 1084S monitor.. :P)

Basically, any brands to avoid? Models? Know where to find good deals somewhere? Etc etc...

Thanks in advance, folks!

-Shane

MaDSheeP
03-12-2003, 08:05 PM
careful about the companies using trinitron tubes, some of them use the reject sony tubes, thats how you can get a trinitron at such a low price

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.