PDA

View Full Version : Workflow Questions...

GreenShellFactor
04-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey all! I've finally made some progress on my final project for school and just wanted to touch on some workflow issues. I have a low poly character (by low poly, I mean not yet smoothed) who is textured and rigged and ready to go. I was wondering, since the feedback on the smooth character is painfully slow, would it be more efficient to animate the low poly character to where it should be and THEN smooth it. The textures come out so much better when smoothed, but it's hard to animate because of the amount of data. Haven't created a reference yet and was also wondering if that would increase performance. Any tips are as always, appreciated:)

~enemy of red

RafaelMancini
04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey man...

You should ALWAYS animate your character in lowpoly mode! It is almost impossible to animate a character in high polygon mode (smooth), at least for us, poor mortals who work on a average computer system.

And you can go even farther if you want to. Usually you animate in lowpoly and then you smooth your character just for rendering purposes. But if you use Pixar RenderMan, you can set the render to smooth the polygon surfaces only on the render... this way your render is gonna be much faster and youŽll achieve the same results... pretty cool huh???

But anyway... always animate in lowpoly... and even if you do not have a lowpoly character, you should create a lowpoly reference to use only for animation purposes. (check Package Man on www.rigging101.com (http://www.rigging101.com) )

jdonnelly
05-04-2007, 01:21 AM
how about if you went to "Polygons-> Smooth Proxy settings" and use that. At the bottom in display settings, check "proxy mesh in layer" and "smooth mesh in layer".
This way you can animate in low poly and then just toggel between the layers to see what the smoothed version would look like as you go along.
Also with the smooth proxy, you can change the smooth level as you go along to see what level of detail you'd want for the final renders.

RafaelMancini
05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
You can do that for sure... but I don't think that it is the best way of doing it.

The "correct" way would be to keep the lowpoly version, with the Smooth aplied to it. You must then create a wire controler and add a SMOOTH integer attribute to it, with a minimum value of 0 and maximum of 2 or 3 (this depends on your characterŽs design). Now you will connect the SMOOTH attribute to the lowpoly version of your character with the smooth aplied to it. You can do that in a few ways, but I prefer to use expressions.

YouŽll end up woth something like this:

polySmoothFace1.divisions = ctrlXtras.smooth;

A very simple expression... and if your character is divided in parts, just create one for each part! This way you can switch very easely between smooth and non-smooth...

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.