PDA

View Full Version : Animated Texture for a River, Vue 6

MarkJW
04-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi,
I am trying to create a flowing river using Volumetric materials to provide animation capabilites and using the new Vue 6 Hypertexture option to create the ripples etc. Is this the best method to create a flowing river in Vue 6 Xstream?? open to new ideas as the resulting look/movement is not up to satisfaction,

Thanks Mark

bruno021
04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't do animation much, but since noone has answered this yet, you may have to read this anyway!
Have you tried animating the water material surface? Could give good results.
Creating ripples in Vue, I have yet to see this, but you can create foam on the shore procedurally, by mixing two materials for the river : first one has to be the foam mat, and second is the water mat, mix should be set to 46% to be able to see the effect ( you can further tweak this), and drive the distribution of materials by a function in the function editor.
You need to connect the distribution to a "distance to object below node", and place a "multiply" filter between nodes. The magic number for the multiply filter is 0.08
Now you should get a foamy shoreline. If you have rocks in the middle of the river, there will be foam too.

IvanB
04-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi Mark,

Heres some tutes that might help, pretty much showing what Bruno was talking about..You could use the animated ocean terain placed between two terrains (obviously tweaked to suit) to get your animated river with foamy rapids.

You could also simply use a plane textured with a liquid and tick the "animate material surface (Z=Time)" in the material editor and you get some small ripples, you could play around with the bump for different size ripples. (also mentioned by bruno)

http://www.esnips.com/web/FoamyShorelineTute

MarkJW
04-28-2007, 11:58 AM
cheers guys,
I will give your advice a go!

Thanks Mark!

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2007, 11:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.